Thread: Problem Students

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Default Problem Students

Okay, since the 'advance students' thread worked so well, I thought I would turn it around.

There are two kinds of problem children that I have. The first are the ones with disorders/special ed kids. These kids yell randomly in class, run around...I have one that about 6 times a year will just scream and run full tilt into a wall for no apparent reason.

The other kind of problem kids are what I refer to as 'punks.' The kids that just talk in class, never do their work, come in late, and distract the other kids during class.

The first type I typically ignore, but it is the second type that I have just tons of trouble with. It is only like 1 kid in 1 class, but he can distract 4-7 other students around him, and it seems like no matter what I do he just gets worse.

Help?
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

You know being an Alt ,I think it's not our problem..Just do your job and ignore that kid..Its not part of our job to disipline them..keep on smiling to avoid wrinkles dear..

Banned

Default Re: Problem Students

Ritalin in the milk works wonders

Copying "I will not disrupt the class" in English and the mother tongue works. If they disrupt again you just staple another piece of paper to the bottom. Its keeps them occupied.

Seating arrangements also work wonders.

Also engaging the student works well. If you can mix their humor with the lesson it helps with keeping the kids entertained and learning at the same time. Its a hit or miss tactic but when it works it works well.

Also try not to hold a grudge or get bothered by the student. Getting in a pissing match with a student is a bad idea. Most of the time they are trying to get a rise out of you.

I would not say ignore them either. Engage them with questions that are easy and they know. Asking them hard questions to show them up just because they weren't listening might give you ego a boost but just worsens the situation in the end.

Fairness and not playing favorites is also extremely important.

Persistence in making them participate in the class is probably the best approach.

Harsh but short term punishments are normally good. Long term punishments i feel just put the kids in a siege mentality.

>_<
    Last edited by Lyra; February 20th, 2011 at 22:49. Reason: stupid thing posted 2x.

I work in a junior high and there are a couple yanki kids at one of my schools. The girls I only ever see wandering the hallways. The boys will occasionally come to class just to be disruptive (I had one literally singing parts of that week's Oricon Top 10 once) or to talk to their friends in that class. Rarely, another teacher will push them into a class that I assume is the one they're supposed to be in at that time.

For the most part, I leave them to the JTE, since even if I say something to them in Japanese, they just think it's funny and repeat it back to me. They do the same if I say something in English. If they're purposely trying to engage me and I'm feeling game, I might. On Valentine's Day I had one of them repeating "chocolates please!" at me over and over again so I finally just told him that I only give chocolates to ikemen (cool guys). The class laughed and that shut him up. That said, you really have to judge the kids before you try anything like that b/c it could backfire too. I find at this school, a lot of the yankis have the yanki look and talk the talk, but don't really back it up.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

put them in a team of 4 for activities and take points off their team if they are disruptive. the other kids will pull them into line for you.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls