Thread: English board and Christmas

Default English board and Christmas

For those of you with boards at school, when do you start doing the christmas stuff? It seems a little early at the moment, but then all the shops have christmas plastered everywhere, so maybe now is a good time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    For those of you with boards at school, when do you start doing the christmas stuff? It seems a little early at the moment, but then all the shops have christmas plastered everywhere, so maybe now is a good time.
    whenever you feel like it really. I usually wait til the end of the month, or december. You could always do a november board on something like Thanksgiving, or harvest festivals from around the world.

maybe fit the scene from the wicker man into it.. The bees,, the bees

Default Re: English board and Christmas

I did Thanksgiving last year; this year I did a football (American) board. I even managed to acquire a smallish rubber football as a prop. Christmas stuff won't come until December. I think I'm gonna put up a small tree this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Hmm mine is still on Halloween and Divali; I should update it, but skipping onto Christmas seems a bit hasty. I don't know anything about Thanksgiving or Harvest festivals (and I don't think my students would care much) coming from a country that does nothing between November the 5th and December 24th.. shall I just leave it for a few more weeks?
    Last edited by Kegger; November 17th, 2010 at 10:15. Reason: grammar nazi-ing myself (take 2)

That's what wikipedia is for. I got the english and jp versions from Japanese wiki. Even if they don't care, you get bonus points from the teachers. Plus you'd be surprised what they're in to. They freaked out about black Friday and the pictures of food I posted.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Last edited by Page; November 17th, 2010 at 14:26.

Yeah, Black Friday shit really interested a lot of kids last year, and food pics/info always works in Japan.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
    Hmm mine is still on Halloween and Divali; I should update it, but skipping onto Christmas seems a bit hasty. I don't know anything about Thanksgiving or Harvest festivals (and I don't think my students would care much) coming from a country that does nothing between November the 5th and December 24th.. shall I just leave it for a few more weeks?
    Looking at my calendar its apparently St. Andrews Day on the 30th November. He's the patron saint of Scotland and apparently part of the reason the Scottish flag is as it is (I've learnt something new myself!).

Maybe something about advent calendars, then its not quite Christmas but its something for the time being?

St Andrews Day isn't even a big holiday here, the national day people mark more often is Burns Day in January.

Yeah but the Japanese kids don't know that

Or maybe that could be the board's point.

They won't give a crap about obscure holidays. They want you to put up a board about Christmas every year. They want you to put up a board about Halloween every year, even if you're from some weird place that doesn't celebrate it. They want the same old crap every other American ALT puts up, not put something up about some obscure holiday that nobody cares about, unless you can make it look really cool... I did a Dia de los Muertos display once that went over well, but, of course, it's pretty compatible with Halloween. Black Friday is popular 'cause Japanese people (women in particular) like shopping, so, yanno...

I feel its an appropriate time to start thinking + changing the English board now. At least it's closer to December now. I was thinking red + green paperchains, but I have black and orange ones up at the moment, so might feel a bit "samey". Not really sure how far I should towards the religious aspects of Christmas. What are you guys thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by RomulusLupin View Post
    I think it's safe to mention that some people are more into the religious aspect than others. In my family, where you drink fuzzy navels and sit around the Christmas giraffe, there's no Jesus involved, of course. But I don't think you can be faulted for showing the religious aspects and roots via pictures and decorations. Realistically, that's one of the things that makes it very different from Japanese Christmas.
    How do you think Jesus fed so many people? Loaves and fish? More like "crunchy" and "puffed".

Considering my family is closer to RomulusLupin's, any religious aspect of Christmas I were to put in would be toned down. Whilst I happily "celebrate" Christmas with no religious contexts, I guess it makes it a bit weird to describe /why/ I do, without them. Ho hum.

Indeed. Just to be on the safe side, maybe I'll avoid it completely. Don't really fancy an awkward conversation about religion...or any conversation about religion with them :P I think I'll just fashion a giant Christmas tree out of card for the board...Ooo, and stick magnets on it, and perhaps change the picture each day, to represent advent...or something. Go go christmas trees \o/. They're vaguely British too.

Or focus it on yule, which less religious.

You can talk about Jesus without making it about religion, much in the same way you can talk about Gandhi or Snoopy or Dragonball Z without making it about religion. Just leave all the "savior" and "son of God" and "homosexuality is evil" and any other such lunacy out of it, and you'll be fine. Just make it out to be exactly what it is--an old story that a lot of people take way the hell too seriously.