Thread: Letters of recommendation from your BOE or schools?

Default Letters of recommendation from your BOE or schools?

I'm hoping that some of you who are currently in the process of leaving or have already left can tell me your experiences with getting letters of recommendation or references for job applications and such. For instance, who did you approach, and when/how early in advance of leaving did you do it? Were the letters you received good? bad? (I've read Japanese people tend not to write too many positive things because it's considered immodest...is that a bunch of B.S.?) Is it better to go to another JTE, a supervisor, the kocho-sensei, etc.? What happened if you didn't really have a supervisor? Also, how much weight do you think a recommendation letter from a JET coworker or superior had on your applications? I'm interested in hearing it all. Thanks.
    Last edited by MixedNuts; November 25th, 2010 at 14:18.

Banned

Default Re: Letters of recommendation from your BOE or schools?

I got mine from the head of the board of education and one of the principals. Cant remember when I asked, I didnt really think about it. I just went up to them and asked - it would have been around april because that was when I was applying for jobs. I never read the letters - they could have been terrible for all I know. If you are applying for jobs in japan always ask the most senior person you can - doesn't matter if they know you very well, its the name on the letterhead which is important.

I've been getting a few for grad school applications. BOE boss, kochos, and a few JTEs.

- If you are going home - Ask people who know you the best and coach them what to write because the Japanese style is very different from ours.

- If you are staying in Japan - Ask the most senior person and let them do their thing. Don't be surprised when the most junior person actually does the 'writing'.

- Ask in writing and give about two months heads up for it and make sure to drop in once a week or so to keep it on their mind.
    Last edited by UPGRAYEDD; November 26th, 2010 at 13:07.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

I was the Kencho Pa for three years and would write up 4 or 5 a year for ALTs returning to their home countries. When someone was applying for jobs in japan We would have my boss write the letter in japanese and if needed I would just translate it.

When I left I had the Japanese PA (in the international affairs division) and the Head of my office (Prefectural Board of Educaiton - School Educaiton Division) write mine. I got a few copies from each of them since I thought I would be applying to many different jobs, but I had an extra of each and took a look at what they said. and was happy that they said some pretty nice things. =)
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

I was the Kencho Pa for three years and would write up 4 or 5 a year for ALTs returning to their home countries. When someone was applying for jobs in japan We would have my boss write the letter in japanese and if needed I would just translate it.

When I left I had the Japanese PA (in the international affairs division) and the Head of my office (Prefectural Board of Educaiton - School Educaiton Division) write mine. I got a few copies from each of them since I thought I would be applying to many different jobs, but I had an extra of each and took a look at what they said. and was happy that they said some pretty nice things. =)

LOL at a PA writing a letter for an ALT

luv
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

could not an ALT write a letter for a PA? remember the "separate but equal" clause?

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post
    LOL at a PA writing a letter for an ALT

luv
    i dont know maybe its different in different places. but i visited ALTs at their schools for class observations, and other meetings. Was always very involved in what many ALTs were doing inside and out of the classroom as well as worked with ALTs who presented at MYS. Summer orientations and regional block meetings/ I would say that i was a very good person to write a letter of recommendation for many of our ALTs.

Also was just used as a reference a bunch of times and grad schools and employers would email and call me all the time.

also i dont remember the separate but equal clause... =)