Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: So you reapplied this year...

  1. #1
    Senior Member Shankerbelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ibaraki dust bowl
    Posts
    2,591

    Default So you reapplied this year...

    Just out of curiosity, for those of you that reapplied this year, or ever (and was either and alternate/rejected before) did you mention it on your application/SoP? What's your reasoning for mentioning/not mentioning it?

    I didn't feel the need to so I left it out, I couldn't really work it into my SoP and it's not asked about on the app, but I know some people were considering highlighting the fact they had applied before and mention what they had improved on.

    Discuss.


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    nodnoL
    Posts
    113

    Default Re: So you reapplied this year...

    I have reapplied and didn't mention it as it doesn't ask for it my the pack. Also I mentioned it in passing whilst on the blower to the Jet Desk and they said it's not required, so I take it as it won't count towards anything.

  3. #3
    VIP Leah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bath
    Posts
    589

    Default

    I've not mentioned it on the form or in my SoP, just because I didn't think it was relevant to this application. I have mentioned it in the medical explanatory letter though, because my GP was apparently having a dozy moment and just reprinted the letter she wrote for me last time without updating how long ago certain treatments I had actually were.
    "Time is a slippery bitch and needs to be tied down every so often so you can give it a good rogering."

  4. #4
    Senior Member Jordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,392

    Default Re: So you reapplied this year...

    I didn't mention it, I didn't see the point as it's unlikely (I've been told) that they'll be inclined to look back. Plus in my position where I declined an alternate position mentioning it would just open up a can of worms around why I declined.

  5. #5
    Member Soulfulsista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    65

    Default

    I mentioned it on my SOP briefly. Wasn't planning on but ended up starting a sentence with it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Ms. Donatsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sesame Street
    Posts
    121

    Default Re: So you reapplied this year...

    I didn't think that it would help to say, "I haven't been good enough to find a job by now, so that's part of the reason why I'm applying again."

    I mean, even if I did find something by now, I'd still like to do JET, so that's why I'm reapplying. I told myself last year that if I hadn't found a really awesome job, I'd try again.

    *edit* I swear that I pressed the reply button only once! Don't know what happened with the multiple posts.
    Last edited by Ms. Donatsu; November 27th, 2010 at 04:24.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Ms. Donatsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sesame Street
    Posts
    121

    Default Re: So you reapplied this year...

    -
    Last edited by Ms. Donatsu; November 27th, 2010 at 04:23.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Ms. Donatsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sesame Street
    Posts
    121

    Default Re: So you reapplied this year...

    -
    Last edited by Ms. Donatsu; November 27th, 2010 at 04:23.

  9. #9

    Default Re: So you reapplied this year...

    The forum does that sometimes.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Between hell and high water
    Posts
    156

    Default

    I didn't mention it last year when I re-applied. When I walked into the interview it was the exact same people that interviewed me the year before. It worked to my advantage as a totally screwed the interview the previous year.

    Just have an answer prepared as they may ask you I question like, "So, what have you been doing the past year?".

    Good luck to all the 2010 alternates!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Between hell and high water
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Donatsu View Post
    I didn't think that it would help to say, "I haven't been good enough to find a job by now, so that's part of the reason why I'm applying again."

    I mean, even if I did find something by now, I'd still like to do JET, so that's why I'm reapplying. I told myself last year that if I hadn't found a really awesome job, I'd try again.

    *edit* I swear that I pressed the reply button only once! Don't know what happened with the multiple posts.
    Focus on stuff like you studying Japanese, volunteer work etc., over the past year. Even if you been a bit slack, that's what I'd be saying.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Between hell and high water
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    I didn't mention it, I didn't see the point as it's unlikely (I've been told) that they'll be inclined to look back. Plus in my position where I declined an alternate position mentioning it would just open up a can of worms around why I declined.
    I'd prepare a solid answer to why you declined for the interview.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    I didn't mention it, I didn't see the point as it's unlikely (I've been told) that they'll be inclined to look back. Plus in my position where I declined an alternate position mentioning it would just open up a can of worms around why I declined.
    ?

  14. #14
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,518

    Default Re: So you reapplied this year...

    Don't they specifically ask you if you've ever declined an offered position (in JET)? I can't really remember; I could be wrong...
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Jordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Don't they specifically ask you if you've ever declined an offered position (in JET)? I can't really remember; I could be wrong...
    They do but I checked, for that question alternated isn't a position. Which makes a certain sense:
    a) it's not a job, it's a potential job
    b) I imagine lots of people can't be alternated cause they have other definite job offers etc so it wouldn't make much sense to penalise okayish middling candidates who could improve, apply again and prove quite suitable.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Beth James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In a box.
    Posts
    549

    Default Re: So you reapplied this year...

    I didn't mention it but wasn't there a part of the application that asked if/where/when you applied before? I figured that was as much as they wanted to know.

  17. #17

    Default Re: So you reapplied this year...

    There is a section that asks (if i remember rightly)
    -If you have been on JET before (i think Wicket on here did two seperate stints)
    -If you were offered a place and turned it down / were alternate but weren't needed
    -If you have applied before.

    If you applied before and were rejected without even an interview then it's not likely they will remember it. There's probably several people checking the applications and each one must see hundreds, so it's not like they will remember a specfic one.

  18. #18
    nihilism is exhausting earth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,378

    Default Re: So you reapplied this year...

    I would've thought your app would be saved in some database (even if rejected), maybe not.

  19. #19

    Default Re: So you reapplied this year...

    But then there'd be tons, although I was told they still have my details on file so maybe!

  20. #20
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,518

    Default Re: So you reapplied this year...

    Yeah, but it'd be no problem to have your name (or an identifying number, like your passport # or something) stored in a database or something. I dunno, I mean, it's probably no big deal, but if I were asked if I'd applied before, I don't think I'd be willing to lie outright.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •