Thread: Better early than never--advice for before you get to Tokyo

Default Better early than never--advice for before you get to Tokyo

Hey new kids, here's a piece of advice based on my experience. YMMV. Before I got on the plane for Tokyo I laid really low on the internet and figured I'd meet people when I got here. That was indeed true, but as I look over my journals from orientation, I remember that I did a lot of cool things with people that I don't keep in touch with anymore.

I recommend finding out who will be living nearby you before you get to Tokyo, and make sure you have a way to get in touch when you get there. (you'll have email access at orientation. send a massmail with your room number.) Then you can do some things with the people that will be around you when you actually settle in. There will probably be other people at orientation that you like better (you have the whole country to choose from after all), but the people in or near your city are the ones you will actually be around more so, you know, like them or not, it's probably a good idea to get used to them.

Of course, there are prefectural activities in the evening, but they are just like the rest of orientation--a freaking ZOO! Wander off with a smaller group and have fun.

Oh, and while I'm on my soapbox, I'll say this too. At orientation, if it sounds like you can skip it, you can. I skipped a bunch of stuff and saw Tokyo, and when my friends found out that I had skipped what they had just sat through they were very jealous.

but hey ESfarkinID, and if ya get your butt busted it ain't my fault. :P

plus youll be sharing ur room in tokyo with another person who is likely to be in ur prefecture and from your country(if there are others) so it would be gud to get to know them on here first if you can!

also find out if they snore cos ur gonna need every minute of sleep u can get in tokyo.

My room mate didnt snore and i think i got like maybe 4 hours for the whole orientation

dead man walking, dead man comin thru!

Why put so much thought into who you make friends with? If you get along with someone, fine. If not, then whatever. You'll make friends here regardless (unless you have some serious problems) so my advice is to chill out and relax. I hung out with people from my prefecture and some of the guys from here and I certainly don't regret it. Nor do I regret having friends around Japan, even if I don't see them. I also don't think that getting to know people early on makes any difference regarding who your friends are and who you get along with; you'll find that out only as time goes on and you get settled in, which can take a few months.

I'm not saying go out of your way to not make friends with those in your prefecture, but you'll have at least a year with them (including several local orientations) so I wouldn't worry about spending too little time with them!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Its all so true.

Everyone cool goes to Kyushu - Why aren't there more people like JayDubya around? So you may as well try to get to know the people around you.

I knew I'd get on with one of the guys in my room - waking up to find a big Yorkshireman still in his suit from the night before with an empty sushi box.

He knows who he is. Thanks man, you made a world of difference when compared to that Vegetarian, Non-drinking, Whiny isolationist of a fanboy.

Dob, fair enough, but if I had it to do over again I'd try to do all the cool stuff that I did with people that I could see more often. You meet so many damn people in those few days that you can't possibly keep in touch with them all, even the coolest. I did run into a girl from across the country who happened to be traveling in my prefecture the other week, total freak occurrence. We had gone out for sushi together in Shinjuku in July. Anyway, suit yourself; I'll stick to my advice!

Cool! It's all good!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Dont't listen to these losers, straight after you get you named ticked off the list before the opening ceremony get the hell out of there as the majority of your fellow jets will be nobheads. Go to the nearest ATM and get out all the money you have in crisp ichiman notes and head into kabukicho - where the fun never ends. For those unlucky ones who live far from tokyo it will be a rare opportunity to mix with the cream of the yakuza and for those who live near it is a great chance to visit your new spiritual home. Simply return to the hotel on the last day to get into the bus to your prefecture. If anyone asks what you thought about the orientation just use the catch all phrase "well the delivery was a little dry but it was very informative"
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Ini is right.

Orientation was a waste of time, SO, get your ass out on the streets of Tokyo....errr...yeah. I missed everything, went to that place to get the free shit, then went on my way.

I even missed the opening ceremoney coz of a rather, errr..late night night in Roppongi.

I too missed the opening ceremony after a long plane flight i was too tired and woke at midday (that and the alarm didn't go off) my memories of tokyo are being SO tired ALL the time and not paying attention to any of the seminars. I went to them like a good boy but they had very little relevance to my life as it stands now.
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

Does anyone know anyone that was punished for not attending the orientation ceremonies while in Tokyo?

No, I don't think they check. I didn't go to any after the first few, and nothing happened to me. However, if CLAIR is reading this site...