Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Quitting Jet

Default Re: Quitting Jet

Another dumbass comes to Japan to find out it's not as great as everyone says it is. What a shock. Perhaps if every time I didn't point out in the Applying forum what a shitty career choice it is to go on JET I wasn't censured, this sort of tragedy could be averted. But no. We must keep it all sunshine and lollipops so JET can devour another soul.
    So just quit, quitter. You'll look like a jackass any way you go about it.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Another dumbass comes to Japan to find out it's not as great as everyone says it is. What a shock. Perhaps if every time I didn't point out in the Applying forum what a shitty career choice it is to go on JET I wasn't censured, this sort of tragedy could be averted. But no. We must keep it all sunshine and lollipops so JET can devour another soul.
    So just quit, quitter. You'll look like a jackass any way you go about it.
    Did you ever consider the reason your views are criticised in applying? It might just be because they are an opinion with which people do not agree. So they criticise, as is their choice. You really can't whine about people disagreeing with you.

If you read more closely it's not the disagreeing I have a problem with. People have the right to be wrong. My problem is that my opinion of the JET program is always shut down whenever I bring it up in Applying. Then people come to Japan and agree with me. Bet they wish someone would have been allowed to have their say instead of having Jordan shoot rainbows out of his ass at them- even though he knows shit about working and living in Japan. But lets have these twats wax poetic about the glories of JET.

And then these poor shitheads believe the lies and get blindsided by the truth when they come to Japan, poor saps. But as long as you have somewhere to aim you ass rainbows you're happy ain't you?
    mothy 6.1.12

I didn't claim to know anything about Japan in my post you'll notice. I just argued that the reason you feel censured is because yours is not a popular or commonly held opinion. It is not deceptive or overly optimistic for people to speak from their own experience. Their opinion is no less valid than your more pessimistic one.

Why don't you both just exchange phone numbers and talk it over instead of wasting everyone else's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    I didn't claim to know anything about Japan in my post you'll notice. I just argued that the reason you feel censured is because yours is not a popular or commonly held opinion. It is not deceptive or overly optimistic for people to speak from their own experience. Their opinion is no less valid than your more pessimistic one.
    I don't care if my opinion is popular. If I cared about that I'd say it much more diplomatically. What I care about is my posts get deleted and I get infractions when I tell people that the JET program is shit and they're dumbasses for wanting to leave a decent job to go to Japan.
    Have I been bashing other people's opinions? You really don't know shit about this so I don't know why you keep on yammering like you do. I'm saying that because of the moderation policies of this site and those like it, a predominantly too rosy picture gets painted leaving poor shits like the OP mentally unprepared for the massive disappointment that is Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrey View Post
    Why don't you both just exchange phone numbers and talk it over instead of wasting everyone else's time.
    If people are on this site they're wasting their time in the first place.
    Last edited by mothy; December 8th, 2010 at 23:01. Reason: English is muzukashii!
    mothy 6.1.12

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    What I care about is my posts get deleted and I get infractions when I tell people that the JET program is shit and they're dumbasses for wanting to leave a decent job to go to Japan.
    The problem is perhaps the sweeping generalisation that because your experience has been poor that the whole programme is a disaster. If your statements were better framed to refer to your experience they may be left alone.

Yeh mothy not everybody hates the JET programme. Some people actually get some valuable experiences out of it.

But you should also be aware, if you're in your first year, that this is probably the most difficult part of the JET year - coming up to Christmas it starts getting dark earlier, you start to miss home
    It does?
    I thought the difference was negliable in Japan due to it being so far south? How much of a difference is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr View Post
    It does?
    I thought the difference was negliable in Japan due to it being so far south? How much of a difference is there?
    Check out a globe, man....

And even at the equator it's not a stable day length. The earth is tilted.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

It does?
    Japan doesn't have daylight savings time so it is actually more pronounced. It is really depressing right now because it is dark when I leave the house in the morning and dark when I get home at night. Bad times.
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

Quote Originally Posted by ohnowhatdoidoooo View Post
    The reason I am posting this is because it is really difficult to find any information about leaving the JET program and the consequences of doing so.

I am really unhappy here, I made a huge mistake coming here and realize now that I probably came for the wrong reasons (but with the best intentions). I have thought it through, my mind is 90% made up and I feel awful about it, but I just can't see myself here another 8 months. I have my own reasons, which I won't go into on here, but they are valid.

I do want to leave JET in a way that has the least negative impact possible. Give them A LOT of notice, stay until a new JET arrives and help train them in, etc.

I am just wondering if you know anyone who has quit JET and what their experiences have been? What happens to the lease? Their stuff? Is there such thing as a "good time" to quit?

Do you have any advice? I'm not interested in hearing about why I should "stick it out" for the rest of the year because I know why and I have thought about it, but I think it's time for me to cut my losses and go home.
    ORANGES FOR EVERYONE!

Talk it over with someone with whom you're comfortable explaining your specific reasons and situation, like a friend or family member back home. Sometimes someone who isn't in Japan can give an especially useful sober appraisal. Absent a compelling reason to do otherwise (and without knowing more about your situation I can't justify saying this too strongly), I would suggest really thinking it over, thinking about what you'll do when you go back home, and if you are so inclined considering how it will look to your school. There are times to tough things out, but there are also times when the correct choice is to walk away. If you do end up deciding that leaving is the optimal move, I would advise doing so as "professionally" as you can manage -- in particular, give them time to line someone else up. You're not the sole English instructor, and they'll survive doing New Horizon without you, but I imagine they'd appreciate the advance notice.

If this helps: try as an exercise thinking it over after removing the "Japan" aspect. I think sometimes people freak themselves out by making things more alien and unfamiliar than they are or need to be perceived as. Even if it's just changing "foreign country" for "Japan" ("I'm in a foreign country now doing X job at Y place and have Z social situation"), I think it can be useful to set aside notions of what "Japan" is like for a minute. I know a few times I started ranting about, say, "There's this person and she's so JAPANESE in how she (etc. etc.)" and a family member commenting, "Yeah, sometimes principals are like that". Perhaps especially for people who come to JET straight out of college, it can be easy to assume that novel problems are uniquely Japanese problems (and utterly inevitable/unsolvable as long as you're in Japan) when they're really just parts of the working world. E.g., people feel isolated -- to be sure, Japan presents unique problems in this regard for a non-Japanese person, but a lot of people feel isolated when they go from living in a dorm and attending classes and going to parties with a massive number of people in their peer group to being the only twentysomething in an office living at an anonymous closed-door apartment building. In my experience, downplaying the "Japan mystique" can make things seem more approachable.
    Last edited by Wakatta; December 9th, 2010 at 06:13.
    Quote Originally Posted by katsudon View Post
    Principal: 'genki no nai shapenaa'
    Me: *giggle*
    Principal (turns to me, says): Very old sharpener. I am not as old as that sharpener.

Check out a globe, man....

And even at the equator it's not a stable day length. The earth is tilted.
    I'm...not sure.
    Trying to research and from a confusing graph I found it seems some parts of the world do stay the same.
    I need to find out, hard to find info on this though...

Quote Originally Posted by kalliea View Post
    Japan doesn't have daylight savings time so it is actually more pronounced. It is really depressing right now because it is dark when I leave the house in the morning and dark when I get home at night. Bad times.
    Strange.
    Even Hokkaido seems only as far north as Spain. And the Spannish people I knew even in Holland were amazed at how dark it got in winter.
    Can you not get artificial sunlight lamps over there? In Sweden loads of people have those for winter- last November we only got something like 20 hours of sun all month.

Anyway. Sorry for hijacking on a little curiosity. Carry on.
    Last edited by Tyr; December 9th, 2010 at 06:22.

I'm...not sure.
    Trying to research and from a confusing graph I found it seems some parts of the world do stay the same.
    I need to find out, hard to find info on this though...
    Nerd glasses on.

What we have above is a diagram of the Earth. Note that the axis is on a diagonal, but it stays in the same orientation as it orbits. It is this tilt that creates changes in day length as the Earth orbits the sun.

Strange.
    Even Hokkaido seems only as far north as Spain. And the Spannish people I knew even in Holland were amazed at how dark it got in winter.
    Can you not get artificial sunlight lamps over there? In Sweden loads of people have those for winter- last November we only got something like 20 hours of
    Even equatorial regions have a noticeable shift in day length, ancient Hawaii even has the legend of Maui to explain the change.

Did you ever consider the reason your views are criticised in applying? It might just be because they are an opinion with which people do not agree. So they criticise, as is their choice. You really can't whine about people disagreeing with you.
    Being censured and people not agreeing with you are two different things. The problem is people apply for Jet without knowing the negative aspects of the programme, just like they think they can make a career out of it.At the end of the day a job is a job, if your job gives you the shits or the situation is fucked up go and get a new job or stick it out.
    Last edited by thebigeasy; December 9th, 2010 at 07:39.

The problem is perhaps the sweeping generalisation that because your experience has been poor that the whole programme is a disaster. If your statements were better framed to refer to your experience they may be left alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffles View Post
    Yeh mothy not everybody hates the JET programme. Some people actually get some valuable experiences out of it.
    Oh dear God. Oh really? Not everybody hates JET? You just blew my mind there. Holy shit!
    Can people not understand the basics of human communication anymore? For fucks sake this generation is the dumbest one yet. Holy fucker. Maybe you can understand it if I use bullet points?

• I fucking hate JET
    • JET is not effective for teaching English
    • It is effective in allowing a bunch of fucking wankers just out of Uni to go traipsing around having a laugh
    • The Japanese don't learn any English
    • There is nothing positive to be said about JET from an English education point of view
    • It is therefore a shitty waste of money
    • People who don't give a shit about education but just want to piss around a foreign country for a few years because they're afraid of real jobs love JET
    • These people constantly sing its praises
    • They shoot down the complaints of people who see it as the tragic waste it is.
    • Cunts who have never been on JET but need to find some hope in their lives that are going nowhere get on the JET bandwagon
    • These cunts also shoot rainbows out of their ass about JET
    • And these cunts who know more about the inside of their anus than about Japan also work to silence the naysayers
    • People then see JET in too rosy of a light
    • This leads to unrealistic expectations
    • People should be more open to harsh criticism of the JET program(me)
    • Jesus fucking christ
    mothy 6.1.12

Lets run away together.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Banned

queer

Just out of curiosity Mothy, how long did you spend in JET?

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    queer
    jealous.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.