Thread: Yabai! Need a surefire X-mas plan!

Default Yabai! Need a surefire X-mas plan!

So I already rock out good lesson plans at my elementary schools, and Christmas is no different.

BUT... my middle school is going to give me a full hour for each class for Christmas. I suppose I could come up with some mediocre plan and push through the lack of enthusiasm from my san nensei, but kencho (prefectural "bigshots") will be there to observe. So I`d like to make it better than just okay.

Anyone have any Christmas games/activities/whatever that worked especially well?

Thanks

Default Re: Yabai! Need a surefire X-mas plan!

Last year I did the Twelve Days of Christmas with the kids putting their own presents in, having to remember what everyone else said. Worked quite well, and because I let them pick who was going next, there were a few laughs as well.

Oh, sweet; that's a good idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I'll trade you JHS Christmas lesson ideas for elementary lesson ideas! I'm at a loss when it comes to my Christmas lesson for my elementary rokunensei...

For middle school I start with a maru/batsu game where they have to guess whether statements I make about Christmas are true or not. This ranges from easy (In America, Santa wears red and green) to hard (Santa has 9 reindeer... they never get this one!). It is a good chance to explain about differences in Christmas practices in a fun way (family versus date night, KFC and Christmas cake versus home cooked meal) etc. I usually time this about 15 minutes, winning group gets stickers.

Then I usually do a song. This year my teacher wanted "Last Christmas" for my ichinensei. It is a pretty difficult song though, so I just did the chorus and gave them katakana along with the English for the rest to follow along. I usually do Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer if there is no teacher request. We did Silent Night once, but the slower songs are a bit boring I think. Cut a few words and have them fill in the blanks OR cut the song in pieces and have them unscramble the sentences to keep them paying attention, then practice the song a time or two and have them sing.

Finally, I usually have a wind-down activity like a wordsearch or crossword for the final time and play Christmas music during it. Usually they don't finish in the last 5-10 minutes, so I tell them if they do they can come find me for a stamp or sticker.

I just had a 90 ES Christmas lesson. "Duck Duck Goose" with "Elf Elf Santa" went over big time. A great way to run ES classes is introduce the day's vocab and then just base various games around it.

Also, god damn "Last Christmas". Fuck Wham!.