Thread: LA interviews ... how'd you do?

Default LA interviews ... how'd you do?

I just finished my interview in LA. Wasn't too bad, it's going to be hard to wait until May ~ luckily I have that senior thesis to work on in order to graduate!
    Anyways, if you want to know how the interview went (i.e. questions asked) look below.
    First off, I think there are 4 interview panels and they are all different!!! I talked with a couple of people after the interview and we were all asked different questions! My interview panel was very nice, 2 Japanese women (1 former JET) and a young male (former JET). Most of my questions related to my experience in Japan since I studied abroad there last year. They asked me about
    challenges I expect to encounter
    if there was anything I found disturbing about Japanese culture
    what did i learn while studying abroad
    how will my RA experience help me in Japan
    how would I present America in a non-biased way considering I will be a cultural amabassador
    then somewhere in the middle, out of nowhere, one of the ladies started speaking to me in Japanese, asking about my experience in Japan and my host family ~ not even a self introduction, but an actual conversation -so Japanese speakers be ware!
    why did i choose the places for my preference and whether i had a preference to teach jhs hs.
    what are my back-up plans (she said she asks everyone)
    pretty much basic stuff. all in all i think it went okay, of course there's something I wish i would have said differently or added, oh well! but i think after this i'm going to leave the JET forums alone and get on with life and graduating!
    Good luck to all those who haven't interviewed yet!!!

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

Default Interview upcoming!!

I got my interview on Wed 23...I ll let you know how I do...nice to see someone else from the LA area on around here...there seemed to be no one from LA on BD (a good thing maybe?),glad to see me and my friend arent the only ones!! well thanks for the advice and questions...Good luck to all yall that still have interviews to go

I just had my interview Thursday. Just want to warn everyone to make sure they know their app and statement like the back of their hand! Many of the questions I was asked came from something on either one of these. Other questions included:
    What would you do if you were confronted by a (seemingly) chauvanistic person?
    Compare modern sexuality (of women) in Japan and the United States (from one of my teacher's letters of rec).
    What are some differences and similarities between Japan and the United States (pretty broad... I chose to talk about business for some reason).
    How would you cope with lonliness or depression in Japan?
    How does JET fit in with your future plans?
    (similar to above poster's) What age group would you prefer to teach?
    How would you respond to stereotypical statements made about the United States/Americans (all Americans own guns, etc)?
    How would you respond if someone questioned the aggressive stance the the United States has taken lately towards other countries?

I guess I must have set off some sort of "stereotype" alert or something...
    I was also expecting to do some sort of sample lesson or something, but I guess thats no longer en vogue?
    Good luck fellow LA interviewees!

Had my interview today and it was alot easier than I had anticipated and even then, I still rambled a bit. I wish I could have said some things better, but then again hindsight is always 20/20 and I can't do anything about it now. Some questions included:
    1) Why (placement preference)? Mine was Osaka.
    2) What do you think JET will do for you?
    3) What can you offer JET that's unique to the other applicants?
    4) Preferred age group to teach (seems like a popular question here)
    5) Who do you think is the greatest American president, prior to your birth?

The rest of my interview was more personal in nature and more related to my SoP (it'll do you good to listen to what rankochan5 has to say above).

One wierd thing that happened was that we really got involved in a conversation about nutrition, diet, and exercise in America (which thankfully, I happen to know about).

Anyway, good luck to the rest of you!

Quote Originally Posted by rankochan5
    Other questions included:
    What would you do if you were confronted by a (seemingly) chauvanistic person?
    Compare modern sexuality (of women) in Japan and the United States (from one of my teacher's letters of rec).
    How would you respond to stereotypical statements made about the United States/Americans (all Americans own guns, etc)?
    How would you respond if someone questioned the aggressive stance the the United States has taken lately towards other countries?

I guess I must have set off some sort of "stereotype" alert or something...
    Did your application or statement mention poli sci, women's studies, feminism or something? I guess that could determine some of the questions. I think I set off some sort of "professional communicator" alarm.

I was asked a lot about communications and my grasp of English since I've a degree in print journalism and I'm working on a masters in interactive communication. I suppose I wasn't prepared for that, I was rather expecting questions more like the gender roles-type questions, then again, I didn't really make mention of my philosophical leanings either.

As for the "all Americans have guns" thing. I was asked about that so often when I did a study abroad there that I kinda wished I had a gun to take care of the problem.
    It is a solidly built word of just four letters, bracketed by rock-hard consonants. It ... explodes into space from a gate formed by the upper incisors and the lower lip. Then it slams to a dramatic glottal cough.

Quote Originally Posted by quasarsglow
    Did your application or statement mention poli sci, women's studies, feminism or something? I guess that could determine some of the questions. I think I set off some sort of "professional communicator" alarm.
    Nope, no such thing, but the teacher who wrote a letter of rec for me probably talked about the Sexuality in Modern Japan course I took with her. The female interviewer was the one who asked a question about it, and I had to think really carefully about what I wanted to say because I felt she was judging me on that one question.

Quote Originally Posted by quasarsglow
    As for the "all Americans have guns" thing. I was asked about that so often when I did a study abroad there that I kinda wished I had a gun to take care of the problem.
    Ouch... I guess it does get a little redundant huh?

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

Default All Done!!

Glad its over...

My interview seemed to go over quite well i think!! I had the panel laughing throughout most of my interview and i found out that one of them was one of my old friends teachers at RCC and he remembered him!! anyways the only question i answered wrong was "What if a student asked you how many lovers you had what would you tell them?" I told them that "I am a virgin and I have none (this is true by the way)" and they told me that I should probably change the subject...No regrets though...that was how i was planning on answering a question like that anyway and i did say that i would remember that when i got there....hope it doesnt finish me off what do the rest of you think? outside of that one thing it went rather well....good luck to those of you interviewing tomorrow sleep good and relax....

now time to forget about this godawful process till april!!