Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alright, lay it down straight. It is good to be a JET?

Default Alright, lay it down straight. It is good to be a JET?

So here I was, poking around the internet, just looking for a little more information on this elusive little thing called the "JET Program".

... well, this is where I ended up. Jackpot!

Anyway, since the best place to learn about something like this is from the people involved, I figured I'd prod at any of you willing to answer my lame questions.

So, here it is:

1) I'm just out of high school and still trying to decide what to do with post-sec schooling and such. Well, to be an ALT one has to have a three year degree in teaching, right? It can't just be one of those 'teach English abroad courses' like the TESOL I hear a lot about?

2) Is it worth it? I mean, living abroad would be epic to say the least, but is it everything it's cracked up to be?

3) And finally, would you recommend it all to others?

Beyond that, just open up the flood gates. The good, the bad, and everything in between.

let's talk about socks gingerbread's Avatar

No, you don't need a teaching degree to be an ALT through JET. You just need -A- degree.

As far as "is it awesome to be a JET?" the answer is "every situation is different." you could be stuck in the middle of nowhere surrounded by people who hate you in a moldy decaying building and want to kill yourself. or it could be the exact opposite and be awesome and life-changing and you don't want to leave. it really depends where you get placed.

As far as "open the floodgates," it's been done here and elsewhere on the internet so many times. It's not hard to find. Just do some digging.
    Last edited by gingerbread; January 4th, 2011 at 12:57.

Banned

Default Re: Alright, lay it down straight. It is good to be a JET?

JET is awesome, just dont stay longer than 2 years

Really now? A degree in anything? Well this just gets better and better.
    And as far as it depending on the situation goes, I think the opportunity sounds worth it.

And why only two years? That's what I was shooting for anyway, but just out of curiosity...

IMO, if you even have a slight interest, it's worth trying, even if it's just for a year or two. The fact that you can come here no matter what degree you have gives a lot of flexability.

Banned

if you stay longer you'll just end up a bitter husk hating the country and the people

If you reach the end of your schooling and go on JET, your schooling has failed you. So if you're just out of high school you shouldn't be planning to fail at life just yet.

If you still want to go on JET despite the fact that doing so means your whole entire existence is nothing more than a wafting stench in the world, I would recommend developing a taste for pedophilia so that you can more fully enjoy Japanese culture.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I would recommend developing a taste for pedophilia so that you can more fully enjoy Japanese culture.
    Should this be before or after she learns to use chopsticks and the tea ceremony? Or should it all happen at once? Have to clarify for the younguns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

What good does learning how to use chopsticks before you come help? So that you can hear over and over again how skillful you are in your chopstick use and then be asked if you need a fork?
    And tea ceremony? If you want to freak out a Japanese person and have them never speak to you again, say how much you love tea ceremony.

No. An appreciation for child molestation and statutory rape is all you need before coming to Japan.
    mothy 6.1.12

Yeah, it's a little bit early to set focus on doing JET. If your ultimate aim to to be a teacher I've heard being a JET can be quite frustrating with the lack of actual "Teaching" you'll be doing, but again that's ESID as some folks get lumbered with shitty JTE's and end up doing all the teaching.

My pennies worth would be for you to get a degree in something you are passionate about, if things dont pan out once you graduate/if you're desire to do the JET programme is still there, then give it a shot.

JET can be great if you are an open minded flexible person. If you are a vegetarian/vegan/hippy/feminist or generally a picky person who gets bent out of shape when the world around you doesn't jive with your particular tendencies and viewpoints, don't come to Japan or learn to keep your mouth shut. If you are an overweight girl who likes anime and thinks she can come to Japan to run away with a beautiful Japanese man, think again. You have no chance.

As the always-wise Azrael said, two years is just about perfect. If you start to get into the 3-5 year range you are getting into the "sad old gaijin who has been in Japan too long" territory.

Just remember that it's not study abroad, nor is it a real teaching job. This depends on a lot on your placement- I know there are some JETs that are really busy and do act as "real" teachers. The fact of the matter is any ALTs are somewhere between school clown and teacher and as long as you know that coming in your school life should work itself out.
    Last edited by patjs; January 5th, 2011 at 01:00.

Banned

Good pay for easy job, other than that ESID. You could get a really cool placement, or a really crap one. Don't stay too long. Make sure you can explain it to future employers if it fits in with your career ambitions. See it as a gap year.

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    JET can be great if you are an open minded flexible person. If you are a vegetarian/vegan/hippy/feminist or generally a picky person who gets bent out of shape when the world around you doesn't jive with your particular tendencies and viewpoints, don't come to Japan or learn to keep your mouth shut. If you are an overweight girl who likes anime and thinks she can come to Japan to run away with a beautiful Japanese man, think again. You have no chance.
    word

Seriously, that was very well-said.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

depends what your definition of "good" is.

1. you need a degree
    2. living abroad is just that, living. You still get the day to day stuff you'd get anywhere else in the world. there are awesome times, and crap times, and most of it has nothing to do with the country you're in, but the people you surround yourself with.
    3. I'd recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
    2. living abroad is just that, living. You still get the day to day stuff you'd get anywhere else in the world. there are awesome times, and crap times, and most of it has nothing to do with the country you're in, but the people you surround yourself with.
    Yes. There's a tendency for people to start blaming everything on Japan or Japanese people, when in reality it's probably the cold hard facts of the real world that they are having trouble with.

That might be the case with people who weren't out of school and living on their own. But I was out of school and living on my own (well with my wife, but not living off of anybody else) and was perfectly happy. For me it is completely Japan and the Japanese. This country is shitty and the vast majority of Japanese people are annoying as hell.
    mothy 6.1.12

Yes, it is good to be a JET. Like anything life is what you make of it. You can sink or swim but they set you up reeeeeeeal nice to swim here.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

Just visiting again on a whim to answer this. For me, JET has been a good baseline to pursue what I've wanted. Using the money I get, I've done a lot more work (albeit mostly unpaid) and made far more connections and experiences in what I majored in (film and media) than I probably would have had I stayed in the states. Just make sure you have a healthy knowledge of the language and a patient attitude beforehand or else you end up like Mothy.

Also location is an important factor in determining your attitude. I'm currently located a stone's throw away from Tokyo. Had that not been the case, I probably would be frustrated with the lack of direction of countryside living. Otherwise, yes, just taking a year or two would probably scratch the itch you seem to be feeling.
    My Hastily Taken Photos are Better Than Your Hastily Taken Photos (My Flickr)

Quote Originally Posted by fidelity View Post
    I think the urge to become a cyborg is instinctual.

still a faggot
    guys, im not playing anymore

Don't you mean still a rapist?
    mothy 6.1.12