Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alright, lay it down straight. It is good to be a JET?

Default Re: Alright, lay it down straight. It is good to be a JET?

that too
    guys, im not playing anymore

JET is great if you don't take the "teaching" aspect of it too seriously. If you think you will get frustrated being a CD player don't come on JET. If you want to experience Japan, have a great time boozing or learn the language JET is great.

Of course there is the placement lottery. You may end up at a great school with kids that love you and great teachers or you may end up "teaching" with a bunch of drooling retards and living in a mould ridden, centipede infested, fuck off scummy shithole in the bumfuck Inaka. ESID.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy_money View Post
    JET is great if you don't take the "teaching" aspect of it too seriously. If you think you will get frustrated being a CD player don't come on JET. If you want to experience Japan, have a great time boozing or learn the language JET is great.

Of course there is the placement lottery. You may end up at a great school with kids that love you and great teachers or you may end up "teaching" with a bunch of drooling retards and living in a mould ridden, centipede infested, fuck off scummy shithole in the bumfuck Inaka. ESID.
    i like ur name - its true too - i worked harder scrubbing cars as an 18 year old
    How are you? Yes yes!

Banned

I dunno, I was a JET and I worked pretty hard scrubbing 18 year olds

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    This country is shitty and the vast majority of Japanese people are annoying as hell.
    You married one though?

Quote Originally Posted by Omoplata View Post
    You married one though?
    Why must people always throw my mistakes right back in my face?
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    I dunno, I was a JET and I worked pretty hard scrubbing 18 year olds

Sccrruuuuberss!!

How are you? Yes yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Ally189 View Post
    1) I'm just out of high school and still trying to decide what to do with post-sec schooling and such. Well, to be an ALT one has to have a three year degree in teaching, right? It can't just be one of those 'teach English abroad courses' like the TESOL I hear a lot about?

2) Is it worth it? I mean, living abroad would be epic to say the least, but is it everything it's cracked up to be?

3) And finally, would you recommend it all to others?
    1. Im impressed that you're looking into your options so early! You can be an ALT with any degree...so you can study whatever interests you most!
    2. As others have mentioned it can be- it really depends what you make out of it! You might also love studying abroad as part of your degree...the more fun time you have abroad, the more random stories you'll have if you end up bored in an office job later!!
    3. I would - I have! I have 5 friends on the JET programme that I helped through the application. One of them doesn't seem to enjoy it as much as I though he would...but all the others had/or are having a blast

I have a question related to if it's worth it or not. I'll get my undergraduate degree next year, and I'm planning on going to graduate school sometime afterward. I was curious, if I applied and got accepted and whatnot into the JET Program, would it look favorably/neutrally/poorly to graduate schools that I did that for a year before going on, or...? Note that my major is computer science, so this isn't directly related to my major or anything.

I'm going to go to Japan sometime in my life (hopefully more than once), and this seems like potentially a good opportunity, but if it would negatively affect anything with graduate schools, then I'll wait.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

It's a real cliche, but it's true nonetheless - to a large extent JET is what you make of it. Of course, [thankfully rarely] it happens that people get impossible placements that even a saint couldn't make the best of; but generally speaking you get out what you put in.
    I've done it twice, enjoyed it both times [for different reasons]; and would recommend it to anyone who doesn't take themselves too seriously, realises the world doesn't owe them a living; and doesn't care about money too much.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by kime View Post
    I have a question related to if it's worth it or not. I'll get my undergraduate degree next year, and I'm planning on going to graduate school sometime afterward. I was curious, if I applied and got accepted and whatnot into the JET Program, would it look favorably/neutrally/poorly to graduate schools that I did that for a year before going on, or...? Note that my major is computer science, so this isn't directly related to my major or anything.

I'm going to go to Japan sometime in my life (hopefully more than once), and this seems like potentially a good opportunity, but if it would negatively affect anything with graduate schools, then I'll wait.
    I don't think international experience ever hurts an application. You can use it to highlight skills like flexibility in the workplace and the ability to adapt to a different culture and different ways of thinking (b/c god knows, you need it here, lol).

Depends on who you ask- if you have a specific, competitive field that's completely unrelated to Japan or teaching there's a chance that it could look a bit like a long vacation. I think it depends on who you ask- some will say it's great and a few will say it might be a detriment. I just read an AJET survey though and almost all ex-JETs say that their experience was looked upon favorably/ or at least neutral by employers.

I plan on going to culinary school, so international experience will at worst be looked at neutrally.

I would imagine that spending time here and studying real Japanese food would be looked on favorably no???

She can open her own restaurant chain based around conbini food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    I would imagine that spending time here and studying real Japanese food would be looked on favorably no???
    I'm hoping. Just need to figure out how to word that for application question, "How does living in Japan figure into your future plans?"

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    She can open her own restaurant chain based around conbini food.
    That'd probably sell really well in some western cities.

Quote Originally Posted by EMTQueen View Post
    I'm hoping. Just need to figure out how to word that for application question, "How does living in Japan figure into your future plans?"
    The two Michelin Guides to Japan gave out more stars than any of the other guides. Apparently Japanese cuisine has something. You could spin it that way.