Thread: Left Japan with gaijin card?

Default Left Japan with gaijin card?

I left japan in April last year, and didn't hand in my gaijin card when I flew out of Osaka. At the time, I thought I would be returning to Japan within a few weeks and so I filled in the disembarkation card for reentrant.

It has now been 8 months and I haven't returned to Japan in that time.

However, I am due to return to Japan in March for 2 weeks on holiday, and when I went to apply for my JR Rail pass they told me it was unlikely I would get it seeing I had a re-entry permit that wasn't cancelled.

Will I have any problems returning to Japan?

I have tried calling the embassy and they haven't been of much assistance.

My re-entry permit is valid until August 2012. My passport expires in May.
    If I apply for a new passport, does this automatically make the re-entry permit void? Or is it better to enter on my current permit, forget about being able to get a JR Rail pass for the 2 weeks I am in Japan, and then hand in my gaijin card when I leave?

Any advice would be appreciated. I didn't realise it would cause so much hassle and am quite concerned that I will have problems entering the country.

Default Re: Left Japan with gaijin card?

Have you tried asking the Japanese Embassy or Consulate?
    I also think that it might be possible to hand in your gaijincard at an Immigration Bureau anywhere in Japan in exchange for a tourist visum, but that might have changed.
    I would try to hand in your gaijin card somehow so that you can get a tourist visum with which you can use a JR Pass, but that`s just my opinion. (I even think there`s an immigration Bureau at Narita Airport, but I`m not sure.)
    Phoning the Japanese Embassy or Consulatewould probably be best in this case.

Hi, your situation is exactly the same as mine. Can you let me know what happened to you so I can know what to do on arrival?

Thanks