Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Interview Questions/Advice

Default Interview Questions/Advice

Okaaay so the time has come to think about interviews. As more people hear this week hopefully if they are anything like me, advice would be appreciated! I've done a good search on the net and this forum alone is a goldmine of information...it's a tad overwhelming.

Does anybody have any good tips they would like to share on the whole interview experience? Any must-have questions to prepare for? Are questions particularly country specific? Will it help to wear a kimono and give out green tea kitkats?

p.s. to le modz: I'm not sure if this is allowed as a "new thread" as there are many threads about this from previous years, but I thought it might be good to have a fresh start ^^()
    Last edited by Nak; January 19th, 2011 at 03:19.

Default re: Interview Questions/Advice

Don't mention the war!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakoruru_ View Post
    Will it help to wear a kimono and give out green tea kitkats?
    Lord no. You want the Strawberry Cake ones.
    "Time is a slippery bitch and needs to be tied down every so often so you can give it a good rogering."

But don't share them. Those are your kitkats. Make them watch you consume them in absolute silence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I'll get in here early and say wear a suit with a tie (if your a dude) and Jacket. be as formal as you possibly can.

In the big, boring middle of my long book of life...

Quote Originally Posted by sinderella View Post
    I'll get in here early and say wear a suit with a tie (if your a dude) and Jacket. be as formal as you possibly can.
    I'm right there with ya. Guys, if you don't have a suit, find some dress pants in a neutral (preferably dark) color, or at the *very least* a well-pressed pair of chinos. Add a button-down shirt in either white or blue, and add a tie and some kind of blazer over it. Keep the tie conservative, avoid big patterns. Blazer should be in a complimentary color, nothing garish. Dress shoes are a must, either lace-up or loafer. Make sure your shoes and belt are basically the same color. No sneakers, and you should probably avoid anything like a boot.

Grooming: I would recommend investing $10 a neat, trim haircut. Also, be as cleanly shaven as possible. Keep your mustache or beard if you have a real one, but no stubble. You should smell like *clean* more than anything else, so ease up on the colonge, but do take your time in the shower beforehand and scrub down well.

I once went to an open interview for a sales job, and this one otherwise good candidate ruined his chances by showing up in a suit with a v-neck t-shirt, and flip-flops. He had been a male model, and had lots of retail experience, but that look just absolutely ruined his chances.

Dressing up conservatively for the interview tells the panel "Look, folks, I really am serious about this. I respect you, this organization, and your time here today." It also shows that you respect yourself. These points are all good things.

Best of luck to everyone!!! Go get 'em!
    "Apparently, this is the price I pay for years of screwing with Super-Science."
    -Dr. Venture

I'd have to disagree with compromising on a suit. If you don't have one, find the money to buy one, you have a 40year+ professional life ahead of you, you're going to need a suit for more than just interviews or JET.

Shouldn't we all have one anyway? I mean we're uni graduates. Graduation involves suit wearing.

I was butt nekkid under my robe. Whatchu talkin' 'bout!

Quote Originally Posted by bigredgoofball View Post
    I'm right there with ya. Guys, if you don't have a suit, find some dress pants in a neutral (preferably dark) color, or at the *very least* a well-pressed pair of chinos. Add a button-down shirt in either white or blue, and add a tie and some kind of blazer over it. Keep the tie conservative, avoid big patterns. Blazer should be in a complimentary color, nothing garish. Dress shoes are a must, either lace-up or loafer. Make sure your shoes and belt are basically the same color. No sneakers, and you should probably avoid anything like a boot.
    Why should guys avoid boots? surely ankle boots under trousers would be fine...

Quote Originally Posted by sinderella View Post
    I was butt nekkid under my robe. Whatchu talkin' 'bout!
    I approve of this and hope for more of the same/agh, my mind's eye, the image, it burns.

Delete as appropriate depending on how you look.

I bought two suits on the weekend..a trouser suit and a skirt suit. I'm still not sure which to go with though! The skirt suit is more of a tidy office type and the trouser is a little more formal and unique. I don't want to be too conservative but I want to dress appropriately so it's difficult. I'm also still in need of shoes, the ones I have are a little high..

I guess a lot of the interview jazz is common sense, I'm more excited than nervous at the moment...just hope I'm able to articulate myself on the day and don't just babble ^^().

To Bigredgoofball...are you a current Jet? Or are you applying this year?

I bought two suits on the weekend..a trouser suit and a skirt suit. I'm still not sure which to go with though! The skirt suit is more of a tidy office type and the trouser is a little more formal and unique. I don't want to be too conservative but I want to dress appropriately so it's difficult. I'm also still in need of shoes, the ones I have are a little high..

I guess a lot of the interview jazz is common sense, I'm more excited than nervous at the moment...just hope I'm able to articulate myself on the day and don't just babble ^^().

Good question

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr View Post
    I approve of this and hope for more of the same/agh, my mind's eye, the image, it burns.

Delete as appropriate depending on how you look.

Anyways got to agree, should definitely invest in a suit! I think the length of the skirt is quite debatable for girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    what the fuck does all of this have to do with bear arms? If you can't stick to the topic at hand I wish you'd just keep your mouth shut and quit derailing a perfectly good thread about bear arms.

If you're going to do a skirt suit, it should probably err on the side of conservative - no higher than knee length, especially as an interview skirt suit.

I'm trying to find a black pantsuit on the cheap online. It'll be useful, not just for interviews, but even if I have a job and need to go business formal.

I tried some suit skirts on speculatively last month and came to the conclusion that skirts make me look ridiculous. If I do get an interview, I'll be wearing a smart trouser suit.
    "Time is a slippery bitch and needs to be tied down every so often so you can give it a good rogering."

I am applying this year. However, my current 2nd job is... *drumroll* I help guys buy and wear dress clothing at a major national retailer on the weekends.

I agree with what someone said earlier, BTW... if you have the means, between now and the interview, and you don't already have one... Go. Buy. A. Suit. You need to have one. Get yerself on down to your local dept store, or menswear store, or mall, or thrift shop if you have to.

The alternate suggestions were more for folks who just cannot get a suit in time, or if something happens to it at the cleaners, or what-have-you.

Sin, Boots are fantastic for a dress outfit... but not with a suit for an interview. Interview suits should be as staid and classy and traditional as possible, while still flattering the wearer. I love a nice set of ankle boots for a non-suit dress outfit, however, especially in Autumn, paired with something tweedy. But for a grey or black or navy interview suit, I always rely on either lace-up dress shoes, or loafers, something with as clean and un-cluttered a line as possible.
    -Dr. Venture

Quote Originally Posted by EMTQueen View Post
    If you're going to do a skirt suit, it should probably err on the side of conservative - no higher than knee length, especially as an interview skirt suit.

I'm trying to find a black pantsuit on the cheap online. It'll be useful, not just for interviews, but even if I have a job and need to go business formal.
    Try Banana Republic, they keep a black women's skirt suit in their selection year-round. Anne Taylor probably does, as well.
    -Dr. Venture

Quote Originally Posted by bigredgoofball View Post
    Try Banana Republic, they keep a black women's skirt suit in their selection year-round. Anne Taylor probably does, as well.
    Why would you know this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Why would you know this?
    It helps, if your store doesn't have something, or is out of stock, to know a good place to send customers who are looking for that item. Black interview suits are pretty common items people are looking for in this area. We have half-a-dozen major universities within 20 miles of my store.
    -Dr. Venture