Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 373

Thread: Interview Questions/Advice

  1. #221

    Default

    So, you'd happily pour tea because you're the only one in the room with two X chromosomes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  2. #222

    Default Re: Interview Questions/Advice

    I don't see a problem with it, tbh. Pfft, it's just tea. It's not like they're asking for little something on the side.

  3. #223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RomulusLupin View Post
    Except your dignity as a woman.*


    *This is debatable/personal. Which is why it's a question they ask.
    I figured that was the reason behind that question.

  4. #224
    disobedient avocado Lianwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    INAKA
    Posts
    6,026

    Default Re: Interview Questions/Advice

    I think the most difficult question I was asked was, "What's Japanese culture."

    I mentally freaked out and rambled out this long complicated sounding but very simple answer.

    That, and in the mock lesson, the ex-Jet pulled out a gun and encouraged the Japanese teacher to eat my dog.

  5. #225
    ฿300,000,000 greengoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    3,575

    Default Re: Interview Questions/Advice

    My BoE made my male coworker (ALT) pick me up at hte airport when I arrived.

    They made my female coworker (ALT) clean my new apartment.

    Sexism exists, that question is more than just a dumb question about tea.
    Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit
    It's like GG's life is run by a DM who lets him take all skill checks with his charisma modifier.

  6. #226

    Default Re: Interview Questions/Advice

    I'm glad I have like 5 Y chromosomes and don't hafta deal with that sh--.

    I get my own tea. When I see my female coworker with a Bachelor's degree get up to serve the men in the office I make sure to brew the sh== I have in my desk instead. I want no part in it, and I doubt any of the newbs here would after being exposed to it for a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  7. #227
    Senior Member zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,882

    Default

    Fucking tea! Last year's young JTE and I walked back into the staffroom after class, still talking about the activity when the elderly men were like "Oh thank god you're here I nearly made the tea myself! Hurry up! Kocho sensei has old man visitors!" and she hurried off apologising profusely while I willed her to tell them to fuck off.

  8. #228

    Default Re: Interview Questions/Advice

    So what if it's sexist? Like there's no sexism here in the US at all, like I've never dealt with it. I mean, sure, I don't want to do something if it hurts my pride, but you work with the cards you're dealt, don't you?
    いいみで

  9. #229

    Default Re: Interview Questions/Advice

    I am completely aware of this crap. Quite frankly, I don't take it personally. I've had jobs in the US that are completely ridiculous in terms of female <-> male duties. As an intern at a graphic design company I was the one forced to make the coffee, get the lunches, and all sorts of dumb crap. The male intern just coded away. It exists in America too.

    Making tea doesn't bother me at all, especially since I know that's a thing in Japanese society that just exists. It sucks, but, whatever. It's tea. As long as Mr. Kouchou isn't trying to stick his hand up my skirt during a enkai, I'm cool.

  10. #230

    Default Re: Interview Questions/Advice

    I wouldn't mind making the tea, honestly. As for being forced to handle more of a burden in general because of gender, then we have a problem. And like merky said, chikan issues.

    Luckily at my job now, there hasn't been anything like that. In fact, the females at work sometimes are asked to do lifting/rearranging of big tables. I like that, since they know we can do it and don't go running to the males every single time lifting needs to be done. On the flip-side, sometimes the males are asked to do the dishes in the break room or make the coffee.

  11. #231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merkypie View Post
    As long as Mr. Kouchou isn't trying to stick his hand up my skirt during a enkai, I'm cool.
    This made me lol

  12. #232
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    171

    Default Re: Interview Questions/Advice

    Okay, next potential interview question?

    "What would you do if Mr. Kouchou tried to stick his hand up your skirt during an enkai?"


    Personally I'd wonder why I'm wearing a skirt, then probably go with it if he's at least moderately attractive. But then again, I'm not a female...

  13. #233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RomulusLupin View Post
    Glad you guys are thinking about your answers. I got the tea question and lied about it. I would not be happy to serve tea but I would if necessary, so I just spun that in a positive way and told the interviewers that I'd respect that it's part of Japanese culture.
    This was the answer I thought I'd give too. I'm not sure how much I'd mind, I don't like gender stereotypes but I don't mind making tea for people...or sandwiches....waiiiiit a minute- I has been tricked.
    Last edited by bananallanah; February 6th, 2012 at 08:53. Reason: derp

  14. #234
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,519

    Default Re: Interview Questions/Advice

    MG doesn't mind serving tea or even serving snacks; actually, she loves it. She hates most of the other sexist aspects of Japan, though... and there are quite a few of 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  15. #235
    chill yo coop52's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlanta->Tottori
    Posts
    4,627

    Default Re: Interview Questions/Advice

    I got the tea question as well (Atlanta). I don't remember what I said, but those kind of questions aren't to gauge what you say as much as how you react. They're going to try to freak you out to see how you handle stress. Probably the most important thing to keep in mind is to stay calm and collected the whole time, and bring your genki game. I didn't have to teach a sample lesson, but other people on the same day did.

    Don't worry about f-ing up too badly, just roll with whatever they give you. Story time- right when I sat down in the interview room, a couple of buttons fell off of my (cheap) suit jacket. I just held on to the one I caught and kept going. I think that not panicking helped a lot in that situation.

  16. #236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    Story time- right when I sat down in the interview room, a couple of buttons fell off of my (cheap) suit jacket. I just held on to the one I caught and kept going. I think that not panicking helped a lot in that situation.
    Hahaha this is totally what I'm expecting from my cheap blazer

  17. #237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prospective View Post
    Okay, next potential interview question?

    "What would you do if Mr. Kouchou tried to stick his hand up your skirt during an enkai?"
    Punch him in the jeans. I have a vendetta against those jeans.

  18. #238
    Senior Member lexa1010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    106

    Default Re: Interview Questions/Advice

    Oh god, I nearly exploded when my director asked me to make him a coffee.... Though I was actually in HR and he was closer to the machine... I didn't mind making tea for everyone else though. As for being touched up... From past experiences I have involuntarily slapped the culprits hand away and screamed OI!!!

  19. #239
    Senior Member Lychee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kobe
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: Interview Questions/Advice

    Groping by creepy coworkers isn't thaaat common, correct? sexy.

    RL I like your tea answer. Definitely wouldn't have a problem saying that with confidence.

  20. #240
    chill yo coop52's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlanta->Tottori
    Posts
    4,627

    Default Re: Interview Questions/Advice

    Getting groped in Japan isn't a matter of "if"; it's a matter of "when" and "by whom". Though, I haven't been groped by coworkers, only students.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •