Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Interview Questions/Advice

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Default Re: Interview Questions/Advice

yep, i hate to say it, but even old fatty uggos like me get groped in japan.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Just had my interview, thanks for all the advice! I'll spill on the questions (if anyone wants to know) when I'm not painfully typing this out on my iPod on free wifi! Though lots of the advice here matched up with my interview- it went for 20mins, I had 3 panelists (all women). Had to correct 6 sentences on a piece of paper etc. good luck all! Now I wait....again

Mostly small children grope me in the work place....

Went up and got Kyuushoku with my kinder-girls. One of the munchkins turned around, shouted, `Uso!` and slapgroped my boobs. It happens. Been groped by female coworkers too....but we were changing for a festival and I happened to wear a very non traditional colored bra.

-
    The groping question I actually asked another friend before my interview how she would respond; `Well, if I were ever groped in the work place, my next course of action would be to let said groper know that my favorite metal is gold, and I take money over flowers....and if a student ever began to follow me, I`d make sure he at least had a copy of my Tiffany`s wishlist.`
    Last edited by Lianwen; February 7th, 2012 at 09:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    -
    The groping question I actually asked another friend before my interview how she would respond; `Well, if I were ever groped in the work place, my next course of action would be to let said groper know that my favorite metal is gold, and I take money over flowers....and if a student ever began to follow me, I`d make sure he at least had a copy of my Tiffany`s wishlist.`

Ha, that's pretty fantastic.

Everyone knows there is no groping in Japan. Of course セクハラ is a big problem but we use foreign word because is foreign concept. Foreign people don't have true Japan spirit so セクハラ is important problem in other person country. So make many paper to make about outside person セクハラ so Japan people not lose Japan way and do foreign way.

Quote Originally Posted by bananallanah View Post
    Just had my interview, thanks for all the advice! I'll spill on the questions (if anyone wants to know) when I'm not painfully typing this out on my iPod on free wifi! Though lots of the advice here matched up with my interview- it went for 20mins, I had 3 panelists (all women). Had to correct 6 sentences on a piece of paper etc. good luck all! Now I wait....again
    Hope you did well, little jelly though.
    You lucky kiwis and your early interviews!!
    mines in 9 days and still stressing
    I will possibly be willing to trade a fair portion of my soul and/or dignity for some insight into a non UK/US interview
    I probably post things that interest you
    nihonomnom | JET Program tales from Kobe-shi \(^ω^\)└(★o★)┐(〜^∇^)〜

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

I will possibly be willing to trade a fair portion of my soul and/or dignity for some insight into a non UK/US interview
    Had my interview today. Wasn't a grilling like I hear some of the us/uk one's are, but not exactly a hugely chummy atmosphere either. I'm pretty sure I screwed up one of the corrections in a "correct these sentences" exercise, as in I didn't notice it was missing an "a" until 15 minutes of replaying the interview in my mind and had the fun of kicking my inattentive self all the way home. Other than that and probably a bit too much uming and ahing it went fine. Outside the interview those organising it were very friendly and pretty good at putting you at ease.

I didn't get any questions about Japan (as in common knowledge type stuff) except why I wanted to go there. But I'd expect it changes from interview to interview.
    Best of luck to those who have who still have their interviews.
    Do Aussies still get there results at the start of May? If you do I reckon a later interview's probably a good thing as you won't have to worry about the results for as long

Quote Originally Posted by kitsune_daifuku View Post
    Offer accepted!
    Here are the questions I remember:
    -Introduce yourself to us
    -Where did you hear about JET and why do you think you're a good match?
    -How would you deal with a shy class?
    -How would you deal if a JTE used you only to read from the text book
    -How would you explain to someone with limited English the difference between 'special' and 'unique'
    -How would you teach colours to a class?
    -If you were to talk to a club (eg rotary club) about NZ what would you talk about (oops, forgot to mention culture/maori traditions)
    -What clubs would you like to join if you were on JET?
    -Say you and some other JETs have planned to travel over the holidays but then your principal says you need to stay behind to help with a speech contest, what would you do?
    -When you were in Japan what differences did you notice between Japan and NZ?
    -Did you feel isolated being the only white person in the town when you were there?
    -I see you did some Japanese in school, how much do you remember?
    -There were 6 sentences on a piece of paper like Kiwigoose said and we had to say whether or not they had mistakes in them and what those mistakes were.

Hope it helps! Good luck!
    Last edited by bananallanah; February 8th, 2012 at 08:39.

Offer accepted!
    -How would you explain to someone with limited English the difference between 'special' and 'unique'
    -If you were to talk to a club (eg rotary club) about NZ what would you talk about (oops, forgot to mention culture/maori traditions)
    -Say you and some other JETs have planned to travel over the holidays but then your principal says you need to stay behind to help with a speech context, what would you do?
    -Did you feel isolated being the only white person in the town when you were there?
    -There were 6 sentences on a piece of paper like Kiwigoose said and we had to say whether or not they had mistakes in them and what those mistakes were.

wow yessssssss very much so, you can redeem at tokyo orientation

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

wow yessssssss very much so, you can redeem at tokyo orientation
    Haha alright, fingers crossed for both of us to make it that far! My panelists were nice, but there wasn't much time for chatting, it was very business-like, there were a couple moments when they all laughed which was good but I found them quite hard to read which I guess is their game plan!

Haha alright, fingers crossed for both of us to make it that far! My panelists were nice, but there wasn't much time for chatting, it was very business-like, there were a couple moments when they all laughed which was good but I found them quite hard to read which I guess is their game plan!
    wewwwwww i have no idea how similar our consulates questions will be but you have inspired me to power on with my preparation, thankyou and best of luck to you too

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigoose View Post
    Had my interview today. Wasn't a grilling like I hear some of the us/uk one's are, but not exactly a hugely chummy atmosphere either.

Do Aussies still get there results at the start of May? If you do I reckon a later interview's probably a good thing as you won't have to worry about the results for as long
    I had my interview today as well. 4 people in the room, only two of them asked questions. Not a grilling, but still fairly serious. I'm a bit worried I wasn't genki enough.

I was told that my result should be available in April. How am I going to distract wondering brain until then? sigh....

Good luck to other aussies, and perhaps to you non-aussies as well!

Quote Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
    I'm a bit worried I wasn't genki enough.
    I wasn't 'genki' at all and I got on.

Quote Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
    I had my interview today as well. 4 people in the room, only two of them asked questions. Not a grilling, but still fairly serious. I'm a bit worried I wasn't genki enough.

I was told that my result should be available in April. How am I going to distract wondering brain until then? sigh....

Good luck to other aussies, and perhaps to you non-aussies as well!
    Wow your interview is way earlier than mine!
    What consulate did you interview at??

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

Quote Originally Posted by OdysseyOfNoises View Post
    I wasn't 'genki' at all and I got on.
    Nice to know, cheers!

Wow your interview is way earlier than mine!
    What consulate did you interview at??
    Canberra. Perhaps we are the first ones on the interview route.

Ah mines not until next week so perhaps your right, I doubt they have enough applicants for 2 weeks straight of interviews after all.

Best of luck to you

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

Have my interview tomorrow morning!?
    The pre-interview sweats are starting already....

Think I'll be ok once I get in and start dazzling them with my wit and charm, that should distract them from my complete unsuitability for the position....

I do quite like wearing suits though

Offer accepted!
    -Say you and some other JETs have planned to travel over the holidays but then your principal says you need to stay behind to help with a speech context, what would you do?

This would be a jackpot set of questions for me. I envy you guys!! We're probably going to get shouted at during the US interview.....

US interviews make me nervous.... I need to avoid choking...

Quote Originally Posted by Merkypie View Post
    US interviews make me nervous.... I need to avoid choking...
    I read that going in and being too business-like will make you flunk the interview. I'm afraid that being too outgoing will cause me to flub everything and look like a ditz instead of someone serious about the work. :P