Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Interview Questions/Advice

Default re: Interview Questions/Advice

I think it is more acceptable for girls to have ear piercings though. I didn't want to risk it. Instead I... God there was so much blood.

ATTN Men with piercings:
    If you have CBR's in your ear(s) and want to take them out, go to a professional. DO NOT resort to using fork tines in an act of desperation. There will be blood.

Yeah, in hindsight, I shouldn't have worried about my nipple piercings. I took 'em out for the xray but put 'em back, then eventually took 'em out again before I flew over here, on accounta the fact that I was scared I'd end up getting kicked out of an onsen or have a townsperson freak out on me if I was shirtless for some reason. Now that I'm here, I realize that nobody would give two shits, except for the students, who would just think I was awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I had trouble putting them back in after my interview so just said "eff it" and let the holes close. I miss them.

Why nipple rings?

Hey word, is it true that when you get your nipples pierced, the first one doesn`t hurt, but the second one is ridiculously painful? I heard this somewhere but I don`t know if it`s true. Something about a connected nerve between the two or something?

Banned

For the love of god, don't wear glasses like these:

They're just plain faggoty.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthsauce View Post
    Why nipple rings?
    I dunno; a girlfriend and I had it done when we were like 16. It was just one of those stupid things you do when you're young. Later on, though, I found I kinda liked them, and chicks seemed to dig 'em. MG liked 'em, although she told me that she never realized how much she liked 'em until I took 'em out.

Quote Originally Posted by Punchy View Post
    Hey word, is it true that when you get your nipples pierced, the first one doesn`t hurt, but the second one is ridiculously painful? I heard this somewhere but I don`t know if it`s true. Something about a connected nerve between the two or something?
    I have no idea why, but that's totally the way it was for me.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

My hair is sufficient enough to cover my... assortment of ear piercings, but I'm really worried about my tongue piercing. It's not something I can take out for the interview and put back in afterwards, as they're notorious for closing up within the space of 20 minutes. I did consider keeping my head dipped during the interview but uhhhhh... xD *searches on eBay for clear retainers* >___>;

Quote Originally Posted by Punchy View Post
    I only have one nipple pierced and it was the second most painful piercing I've ever had. >__<;

Speaking of which, if you're short-listed... does it really matter if you keep your nipple bar in for the chest x-ray? It's not metallic, so I'm not worried about my nipple detaching and flying across the room... but would a JET official look at it and go "On second thought..."?

Quote Originally Posted by Danikinz View Post
    I only have one nipple pierced and it was the second most painful piercing I've ever had. >__<;
    What was the first?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

My ears are double-pierced. I don't wear far out earrings or stretch my lobes, just small titanium studs. Is it all right to keep both sets in or should I just wear one set?

Banned

My hair is sufficient enough to cover my... assortment of ear piercings, but I'm really worried about my tongue piercing. It's not something I can take out for the interview and put back in afterwards, as they're notorious for closing up within the space of 20 minutes. I did consider keeping my head dipped during the interview but uhhhhh... xD *searches on eBay for clear retainers* >___>;

Speaking of which, if you're short-listed... does it really matter if you keep your nipple bar in for the chest x-ray? It's not metallic, so I'm not worried about my nipple detaching and flying across the room... but would a JET official look at it and go "On second thought..."?
    Friendly warning, if you continue to say 'XD' and do 'anime' style smileys, you're likely to get shot or at the very least trolled very heavily on these forums.

If you're shortlisted, theoretically they're not gonna chuck you out unless you do something that makes them doubt whether they should have hired you... and if they are willing to through away the money they've already spent on you. By the time you get to the xray, you've had your flights and hotel booked and paid for, you've got a placement and accommodation sorted, they've probably started sorting prefectural orientation and you've had a visa application made and so on... in that kind of situation I severely doubt they'll chuck you out just because they suddenly find out you have piercings. Best to treat it as none of their business, but be polite if they do ask about it and keep it hidden.

Although, if you don't keep it hidden you might get some comments from the staff at your local orientation. I know a few people who had comments to the effect of 'we're starting to regret hiring you, because you ask too many questions/don't seem very flexible/have green highlights in your hair/have lots of facial piercings/you're a massive douche'.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    What was the first?
    Conch in my right ear. The guy made a mistake with the angle so had to fiddle the needle around inside my ear for a bit... x___x;

Quote Originally Posted by Hikari
    Friendly warning, if you continue to say 'XD' and do 'anime' style smileys, you're likely to get shot or at the very least trolled very heavily on these forums.
    Hahaha I really don't care. xD

But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

Question: How did a one-shot comic where the weeaboo context had nothing to do with Japan become the word for overzealous Japanophiles?

Related: I wish Perry Bible Fellowship would come out with new comics.

Ahahaha! Nice - gonna have to steal that one.

Banned

Conch in my right ear. The guy made a mistake with the angle so had to fiddle the needle around inside my ear for a bit... x___x;

Quote Originally Posted by Hikari View Post

Quote Originally Posted by EMTQueen View Post
    Question: How did a one-shot comic where the weeaboo context had nothing to do with Japan become the word for overzealous Japanophiles?

Related: I wish Perry Bible Fellowship would come out with new comics.
    B/c peeps got butthurt on 4chan over "wapanese" the mods had the term autoreplaced with weeaboo. The term stuck.

U da real mvp.

Is it really worth taking the chance? You only have to take the thing out for, what, like 5 seconds while they do the X-ray? You can put it right back in. I did. It really isn't any of their business, but why not just avoid any problems in the first place by taking a precaution that requires all of 90 seconds of your life?

Also, even if you had a metal nipple ring, you could be safely X-rayed with it in (I was). X-ray machines aren't magnetic. You're thinking of MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) scanners. JET doesn't require an MRI scan (yet).
    Last edited by word; January 11th, 2011 at 18:09.

I'm gonna be one of those weird people and get back to the point. Some good advice.

- BE PREPARED. Look neat, fed, and professional (I wore a black skirt suit with a blue shirt underneath... but pant suits are fine, dresses are fine. Whatever. Professional.) Know who you are and what you like. You want your character to show through. Review your own SoP more than anything else. If you said you had experiences that taught you how to be flexible, have a ready example, but...

- DON'T OVER PREPARE. If you find yourself rehearsing lines or scenarios, you're overdoing it. Have general examples and ideas, but nothing specific. If you study those questions lists like they hold the key to eternal life, you'll end up parroting some B.S. and you'll sound robotic and boring. Just answer stuff off the top of your head, like a pop quiz. If you don't know something, just say you don't know. That's fine.

- HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR. If you don't think they get bored after hours of repetitive interviews, you're a retard, give up now. Entertain them instead of staying serious the whole time. For example, they asked me "what is one stereotype you think Japanese people have about Americans?" I hadn't really thought about it before, so I just answered the first true, amusing thing that came to mind: "That we're all fat." After the panel finally stopped laughing, the mood stayed light and fun. I knew then I'd given a far better answer by being honest, spontaneous and amusing than anything I could have seriously prepared. So...

- BE HONEST. Well, unless they ask you about your crack habit. That, you gotta hide. But on the whole, honesty breeds boldness and confidence. If you're lying, you're too likely to get shifty-eyed, sweat, stutter, or give off negative body language. It won't look good. Besides, you want them to hear the real you, not what you think they want to hear. If they ask you if you like flower arranging, and it bores you to tears... tell them that it bores you to tears. Then tell them what you DO like. You and all your zany insanity will be infinitely more interesting than some cookie-cutter office worker you imagine they want.

Good luck.