Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Interview Questions/Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
    Grey suits - go for it. I think a nice blue-grey often looks a lot better on blondes than typical black pinstripe types.
    Thanks for the tip. Yeah, even though I'm kind of stuck between blond and brunette, my black suit I feel makes me look like kind of sickly-pale.

Lots of good advice here, thanks guys.

And about the heavy girls in skirts thing--trust word. You may feel like pants are more revealing and contour your figure more than a skirt but please keep in mind for most of the interview you will be sitting, which is a very unflattering angle for someone with a tight(ish) skirt on, much less someone overweight. A pant will look a lot more professional and score! You won't have to worry about getting matching panty hose for your skirt!

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Respectfully, I suspect that I'd usually disagree with that first part.

Fat girls, I doubt you look better in a skirt than you do pants. You probably think you do, but trust me... you don't.

The second part is not bad advice; permit me to expand a little on it. Hot girls--be careful. You don't know if there are going to be women on your interview panel. As I'm sure you know, attractive women face hiring discrimination from other women. Fat, ugly girls will have an advantage if interviewed by a panel with more women than men. I'd take RL's advice a little, here. Play the professional angle more than the attractive angle when choosing attire, but be prepared to play it by ear when it comes to body language and social relation in the interview. If you go in and you're dealing with three guys, turn on the charm. If you go in and you're dealing with three women, keep it professional and matter-of-fact.

Fat girls, just do whatever. If you're dealing with women, you'll have an advantage. If you're dealing with men... good luck.
    For some reason, I'm interested in knowing what you'd suggest for those classified as butterfaces. Can the charm overcome the less advantaged face? Is wearing a skirt still a good idea?

Default re: Interview Questions/Advice

Careers in TEFL and Teaching Abroad

From all the info I have read about the UK interview, it seems like in general the questions are much harder/more precise than questions I've seen in the US interview.

I gotta say, I think you Brits have it harder than us.

We don't have to give a sample lesson and there are proportionally more places vs. applicants for our kind in most years though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    We don't have to give a sample lesson and there are proportionally more places vs. applicants for our kind in most years though.
    Do US applicants always give a sample lesson? I was under the impression that this was kind of a random thing from reading up last year. That's definitely the part that scares me most, though.

Also, since UK people are getting their interviews soon I just wanted to make a mention about makeup. Interviewing for jobs with other women, the #1 faux pas I have noticed is girls getting too made-up for their interview. Make sure your makeup is on the light/natural side. I once saw a girl go for a position in a legal office with full-on eyeliner and so much blush that it made her look at least ten years older than she was, and frankly a little bit like a creepy clown. If you're going to wear eyeliner/normally do I would suggest you only apply it to your upper eyelid. Wearing eyeliner on the lower lid tends to make most girls look tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Donatsu View Post
    For some reason, I'm interested in knowing what you'd suggest for those classified as butterfaces. Can the charm overcome the less advantaged face? Is wearing a skirt still a good idea?
    Oh God, you really don't want to ask word that.
    Quote Originally Posted by katiep View Post
    Careers in TEFL and Teaching Abroad

From all the info I have read about the UK interview, it seems like in general the questions are much harder/more precise than questions I've seen in the US interview.

I gotta say, I think you Brits have it harder than us.
    I always thought the yanks have it worse than us too. More applicants, more competition.
    If you're going to wear eyeliner/normally do I would suggest you only apply it to your upper eyelid. Wearing eyeliner on the lower lid tends to make most girls look tired.
    I always wear full eyeliner all the time and i've never had any problems/been told it looks too much. It depends on how good you are at putting your own make up on and how you tend to make yourself up (if you normally go for a more natural look or you trash it up).

For the record putting eyeliner on my upper eyelid only makes my eyes look washed out. I think it's a bit over generalised to say it makes most girls look tired.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    what the fuck does all of this have to do with bear arms? If you can't stick to the topic at hand I wish you'd just keep your mouth shut and quit derailing a perfectly good thread about bear arms.

A touch of white eyeliner on the lower lids is probably fine, as it makes the eyes look more open and it's a really subtle touch.

Years ago I was told that "the best makeup application is the one you don't notice." I don't normally wear makeup at all, but I will if I get an interview, and I think that's a good rule of thumb. There are two really good makeup books by Kevyn Aucoin - "Making Faces" and "Face Forward" - that I'd recommend to anyone who's not sure about makeup, as they contain makeup schemes that run from minimalistic and natural to dramatic and eye-catching and are really easy to follow.
    "Time is a slippery bitch and needs to be tied down every so often so you can give it a good rogering."

Quote Originally Posted by Muffles View Post
    I always wear full eyeliner all the time and i've never had any problems/been told it looks too much. It depends on how good you are at putting your own make up on and how you tend to make yourself up (if you normally go for a more natural look or you trash it up).

For the record putting eyeliner on my upper eyelid only makes my eyes look washed out. I think it's a bit over generalised to say it makes most girls look tired.
    Yeah, it's just my opinion--you're right, it is too general a statement, especially if you're good at applying eyeliner. I shouldn't be giving general makeup advice because it really is kind of an ESID case, like Muffles says.

*tip revoked*

=) What I would say though is try to go for the more "natural" look simply because it's more professional. Some girls like me and Katie wear this look daily and I wouldn't change anything, but other girls might want to consider toning down a bit.
    what the fuck does all of this have to do with bear arms? If you can't stick to the topic at hand I wish you'd just keep your mouth shut and quit derailing a perfectly good thread about bear arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    We don't have to give a sample lesson? Sweet! Sucks to be American.

I thought about not asking, but for some reason I love hearing his opinion on random things like this.

I just started wearing any sort of make-up and I just can't correctly apply eyeliner on my lower eyelids. I also suck at eyeshadow blending and stick to one color. If you stick to a minimalist approach like me, then I'd suggest not trying to go all out for interviews. If it's the morning of the interview and you don't know how to use those 3 shades of green shadow, then don't do it. If you're going to experiment, practice the days before. Believe me, I had to learn the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by atheistwithfaith View Post
    We don't have to give a sample lesson? Sweet! Sucks to be American.
    I'm pretty sure that the sample lesson was the death of me last year. I had the most unresponsive panel ever.

That sounds like it has a story to it!

Hmm so the general consensus is skirt>trouser suit? I was pretty sure I was going with the trouser suit but after all the comments here I'm back to being undecided dammit!

I'm planning to wear full eye-liner though. Same as Muffles, it makes me look strange not doing the bottom lid so I think I'll stick with what I'm used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jade View Post
    I'm gonna be one of those weird people and get back to the point. Some good advice.

- BE PREPARED.

- DON'T OVER PREPARE.

- HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR.

- BE HONEST.

Good luck.
    That really is some good advice, thanks =). Are you a current Jet?

That sounds like it has a story to it!
    Nothing exciting, just embarrassing. When I first started wearing makeup (like, 4 months ago...) I thought that I'd wear some green eyeshadow to match my green shirt. I was only going to wear one shade, but there were instructions on how to wear 3 on the case, so that's what I did, or at least tried to do. I went to work and got a lot of stares before one of my friends/coworkers pulled me aside and told me that I looked ridiculous. I just piled on too much green and I'm pretty sure that I even added some under my eye (Are you even supposed to apply there?) I had to go wash my face and I've never tried that again.

I have thin eyebrow hair and tried to color some more in once... That also didn't turn out well. I'm a lost cause, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Donatsu View Post
    Unless your face is just really hideous, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about this. If your panel is mostly Japanese people, hopefully they'll be too awe-struck by your beautiful round eyes to notice that your face is butt-ugry.

Seriously, though, if your face is really hideous, but you've got a nice body, I would still go with the skirt suit. I'd also find a very, very, very talented hairstylist, tell them to be brutally honest with me, and get myself a good hairstyle. I'd get someone who was really, really, really stylish and had an excellent understanding of appropriate women's fashion to go suit shopping with me. I'd have my suit fitted by a good tailor (you have no idea how much of a difference this can make). I'd get someone who was very, very, very talented at make-up application, ask them to be brutally honest with me, and get some good tips.

Do US applicants always give a sample lesson? I was under the impression that this was kind of a random thing from reading up last year. That's definitely the part that scares me most, though.
    I didn't have to do a sample lesson. I had one ready, though, and I'd highly recommend you do the same.

What? Why not? The advice I dispense in Applying might be harsh and cruel, but it'll always be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Leah View Post
    Years ago I was told that "the best makeup application is the one you don't notice." I don't normally wear makeup at all, but I will if I get an interview, and I think that's a good rule of thumb. There are two really good makeup books by Kevyn Aucoin - "Making Faces" and "Face Forward" - that I'd recommend to anyone who's not sure about makeup, as they contain makeup schemes that run from minimalistic and natural to dramatic and eye-catching and are really easy to follow.
    This is really fantastic advice when it comes to makeup. Many Japanese schools straight up won't allow women to wear makeup. My school doesn't (aside from a hint of foundation, I think). 90% of girls wear way the hell too much makeup, anyway (including MG). Most people will never (ever) be honest about it, either. They'll always just be like "Oh, you look fine/great/fabulous/etc." and you end up with women who look hideous but will never know. Honest friends are the best ones, but they're few and far between.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakoruru_ View Post
    Hmm so the general consensus is skirt>trouser suit? I was pretty sure I was going with the trouser suit but after all the comments here I'm back to being undecided dammit!

I'm planning to wear full eye-liner though. Same as Muffles, it makes me look strange not doing the bottom lid so I think I'll stick with what I'm used to.
    That really is some good advice, thanks =). Are you a current Jet?
    Just go with whatever you feel the most comfortable in. It will make you more relaxed and confident (because honestly, the panel won't care which one you wear). And I wore full eyeliner, too *shrugs* I think what they were going for was "don't cake on your make-up so that you look like an alien or a street walker."

As for the advice, I'm glad I could help. I wish I'd heard some of that when I was panicking. It would have saved me lots of time and energy. And yep, I'm a current JET (^-^)

just realised my interview is in seven days and i've still got to make a move on preparing for it properly. i'm doing a very intensive law degree (usual English law degree of three years in one year[!]) and am in the middle of tests, also got law firm applications and interviews to do and prepare for so i've got an ok excuse... just about.

There's not a quick fix, and i know how to prepare for the usual interview type questions. I just want a really efficient way of preparing for the JET interview so i cover all the points but i can still revise, do my coursework and prepare for those scary law interviews as well...

So... people that have done the JET interview in the UK, other than knowing your app and why JET, why Japan, what to do you suggest for prep?

And what do you wish you had known before going into the interview?

I was asked about recent topics in the Japanese news or Media. Luckily that JAL thing had kicked off so i used that.

Japan times have a twitter news update every day (night if you're in the UK)
    Otherwise pretty much everything else that been covered already on the last few pages.

And obviously the grammar test, which seems to be unique to the UK.

In the big, boring middle of my long book of life...

Quote Originally Posted by sinderella View Post
    I was asked about recent topics in the Japanese news or Media. Luckily that JAL thing had kicked off so i used that.

Japan times have a twitter news update every day (night if you're in the UK)
    Otherwise pretty much everything else that been covered already on the last few pages.
    This is a good idea anyway, for anyone thinking of moving to a foreign country. I've been reading the news from Japan daily for a few weeks now, to be prepared. There are a number of sites out there which carry English versions of Japan's major newspapers. I've been using News On Japan because it collects articles from multiple papers, and updates daily.

Nice tip, Sin.
    "Apparently, this is the price I pay for years of screwing with Super-Science."
    -Dr. Venture