Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Interview Questions/Advice

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I didn't have to do a sample lesson. I had one ready, though, and I'd highly recommend you do the same.
    Yeah, I do have one prepared from last year. It's good to hear the lesson isn't mandatory; didn't think it was.

And yeah--on the makeup, I pretty much was emphasizing tastefulness, I.E. don't cake it on, and don't overdo color.

For the interview, I thought the best thing that helped calm me down and find an objective once I reached the interview stage was reading over my SoP over and over to make sure I was prepared to explain/emphasize what I wrote. Isn't it true the interviewers have copies of your SoP in front of them as you're interviewed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    We don't have to give a sample lesson and there are proportionally more places vs. applicants for our kind in most years though.
    I'm sure I heard a friend say that his friend had to do a sample lesson...but he didn't.

Anyway, can anyone give an itinerary of the interview? Or would that be spelled out for us in the letter we'll soon get?

they tell you in the letter but you are to arrive 30 mins before your specified time... you meet an ex-JET and ask them any qs you have and are then shown a video on JET and complete the written test

Then the interview
    Last edited by irnbru_phenomenal; January 13th, 2011 at 05:37.

Is there only one interview a day or is there a chance you'll meet another applicant?

There will be other interviewees there. They do quite a few per-day.

Default re: Interview Questions/Advice

yeah there will be about 4 others at the same time/around the same time as you. thats how it was for me anyway.

I read somewhere that if you weren't asked to do a sample lesson you've already been eliminated... However I was never asked to do one and I got in. So i guess thats bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy_money View Post
    I read somewhere that if you weren't asked to do a sample lesson you've already been eliminated... However I was never asked to do one and I got in. So i guess thats bullshit.
    Yeah, that's totally not true.

*spasms* Got the 'Yay you have an interview!' email this morning...time to start brushing up on all the info on here.

Only downside was, I had to ring up just to see if they could change my interview time, as it's smack bang during the very first VERY IMPORTANT day back at school. I need to get my GRRRRRy teacher face on, not skip out!

Quote Originally Posted by ushanka View Post
    For the interview, I thought the best thing that helped calm me down and find an objective once I reached the interview stage was reading over my SoP over and over to make sure I was prepared to explain/emphasize what I wrote. Isn't it true the interviewers have copies of your SoP in front of them as you're interviewed?
    Yes, it's true. They asked me questions about my SoP. Reading over it and making sure you're prepared for such questions is a really, really good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by irnbru_phenomenal View Post
    they tell you in the letter but you are to arrive 30 mins before your specified time... you meet an ex-JET and ask them any qs you have and are then shown a video on JET and complete the written test

Then the interview
    Treat the time spent with the ex-JET as part of the interview. In fact, treat the time spent in the waiting room and your interactions with the secretary as part of the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    *spasms* Got the 'Yay you have an interview!' email this morning...time to start brushing up on all the info on here.

Only downside was, I had to ring up just to see if they could change my interview time, as it's smack bang during the very first VERY IMPORTANT day back at school. I need to get my GRRRRRy teacher face on, not skip out!
    Congrats.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

My 2 cents.

For the interview: The single most important thing (with any interview) is confidence. They want to be able to trust in your ablitily to do the job. Second, know what they are looking for. In our case, they are looking for people who will represent (insert your country here) well in Japan. They are also looking for people who are adaptable and flexible. Given the fact that Every Situation is Different, it's important for them to choose people who will best handle any situation rather then the people who pigeonhole themselves in to doing well in one area. Third, know about whats going on in Japan. It looks good in the interview if you know that Naoto Kan is the PM and that he is reshuffling his Cabinet. It shows that you are taking an active interest in Japan. Finally, know your application, your SoP, and your reasons for going inside and out. Be prepared to explain anything you've sent in your application.

Dress: Dress as professionally as you can. This means a suit. If you don't have a suit, buy one. Also important, don't just buy the suit and wear it straight off the shelf. Make sure it fits properly. If it doesn't, you can get an off the shelf suit tailored to fit relatively cheaply. You would be amazed at how much better you'll look in a suit you've taken to the tailors vs the same suit off the shelf. Second, wear something that will make you stand out from the crowd. Now I don't mean walking in wearing lime green shoes or tie with a tabasco bottle printed on it, but wear something that is just a little bit different from what every one else is wearing. The key here is not gaudy, but profession. For example, I'm going to be wearing a Dark Blue suit with brown dress shoes, a white shirt with cuff links and a red tie plus my class ring. With this, I look very professional, yet the cuff links and the class ring will (hopefully) help them to remember my face and what I said rather then the other people when they are making the decisions of who to recommend.

I also second everything Word has said, especially the parts about treating your entire time in the Consulate as part of your interview.

The most important thing to remember for the interview is this is where they put a face with the name, a personality with the information. Make the best impression you can. The three keys are: Professionalism, Preparedness, and Confidence.

Stupid double post, my bad.
    Last edited by MCAS; January 13th, 2011 at 12:41.

Quote Originally Posted by MCAS View Post
    For example, I'm going to be wearing a Dark Blue suit with brown dress shoes, a white shirt with cuff links and a red tie plus my class ring.
    OK, I think I found the person to ask this question to.

Do you think February is too early to wear a fairly light grey suit in Boston? I'm not native to the east coast so I am not sure how that works fashion-wise over here. Thanks if you have any input.

Quote Originally Posted by RomulusLupin View Post
    You'd better watch out, MCAS, or you might become the new Jordan. You'll see what I mean if you stick with us for a while.
    I'm not sure what you mean, but the context that you've put this in tells me that don't want to be like this Jordan you speak of.

Ushanka: As for the light grey suit, I don't think it will matter. I have a grey suit and I've worn it in the winter. Then again, I'm ignorant when it comes to seasonal fashion colors.

Quote Originally Posted by MCAS View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean, but the context that you've put this in tells me that don't want to be like this Jordan you speak of.

How light is the grey suit?

Do people think a waist coat is too much for a guy ? i usually wear one with a suit (and without cause im hip and cool) but i wouldnt want it too look like im trying too hard.

i think im definately going to remove lip ring and keep my tattoos well covered.

(Excuse me whilst i barge my way into the thread )
    Von D

Musician . . . ? Me . . . ? Well actually yes, yes I am www.soundcloud.com/Lkv

oh do folks wear waist coats outside of weddings and funerals these days? Hmm.

That being said, i cant see why not, unless theres some unwritten interview guy code i dont know about.

Quote Originally Posted by VonD View Post
    Do people think a waist coat is too much for a guy ? i usually wear one with a suit (and without cause im hip and cool) but i wouldnt want it too look like im trying too hard.

i think im definately going to remove lip ring and keep my tattoos well covered.

(Excuse me whilst i barge my way into the thread )
    A waistcoat with a suit forms a three piece suit, they are very formal and usually the preserve of senior establishment figures as they are the classic "power suit"... think Gordon Gekko (Michael Douglas in Wall Steet, [the first one])

I don't know what the decorum is in the USA but in the UK, for Financial and Corporate jobs in the City no Brown in Town (No brown shoes) and strictly blue, black or dark grey rather than light grey or greystone for something formal like an interview....

but different countries have different standards and JET is not a Financial or Corporate interivew... so if it looks smart and you feel comfortable, rock it.