Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the chances of making it into JET from the Interview?

Default What are the chances of making it into JET from the Interview?

I know this is not an exact science - I'm just looking for the best possible ballpark figure - what are the chances of gaining admission to JET once you've made it to the interview stage? I've heard 50% - is that a fair guesstimate?

I'd mirror what Cataphract has said. Statistically it is maybe 50% or slightly less but it isn't a random thing. Have confidence in your own suitability for the job and present yourself as best you can. Beyond that there isn't any point in worrying about numbers.

You seem to already have an interview so I suspect what you're really asking is "Have they already cut all the fat and decided who they want at this stage?"

I honestly don't know the answer and I don't care to know. If you want the job prepare thoroughly, go in there, be relaxed, confident and clear with your reasons for wanting the job. That's all you can do. Try to be content with that.

Default Re: What are the chances of making it into JET from the Interview?

Depends on your SOP.

Write it more like a cover letter. They don't want to hear your life story, just the highlights of it that prove you are a superb candidate to be a teacher's assistant in the English language.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

why is it that every year n00bs answer other n00b questions?
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

One way could be to tell them what they want to hear, no round about stories, to the point and what you have to bring to the table.
    If you asking for a rough figure is say around 30% given the number of applicants to spaces.

At the end of the day, whether YOU get in or not completely depends on whether you are good enough by the interviewers standards and ooze what ever it is they're looking for. Be positive and answer the questions they ask as honestly and accurately as possible. Show that you have a can do attitude and that you can roll with the punches. What ever you say in your SOP or application form make sure you know it inside and out (whether it was true or not) because they are VERY likely ask you about theri content.

try to remember you're not just applying to be an ALT, you're applying to be a JET programme participant. make sure you discuss the twin aims of the programme and what you can bring to both roles.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    why is it that every year n00bs answer other n00b questions?
    In the hope we can help answer their question / get shut down by current JETS because what we say is total rubbish so we and many n00bs to come can learn from our mistakes?

Wicket: Neither Cata or I claimed to know the secrets of JET we both gave pretty standard "do your best at the interview" advice. Any idiot can do that. Even me.

Also just noticed this -

Why the hell is guesstimate in the forums spell checker?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Also just noticed this -

Why the hell is guesstimate in the forums spell checker?
    It's a word...

EDIT: Mathematicians use it in case you were wondering...
    Last edited by Shankerbelle; February 3rd, 2010 at 06:46.

Quote Originally Posted by miks View Post
    Depends on your SOP.

Write it more like a cover letter. They don't want to hear your life story, just the highlights of it that prove you are a superb candidate to be a teacher's assistant in the English language.
    Wrote my SoP last year like a very professional cover letter - no interview.
    Wrote my SoP this year like a professional, but friendly and chatty letter - got an interview.
    And both years my app was about 98% the same.

I'd be careful with that advice. FWIW, I think they want something more than a cover letter because a cover letter does very little to separate you from other applicants. Sure, all the qualifications are there, but I think you need just a little bit more personality to make you stand out. Same goes for any interview I've ever had. I bet JET's the same way.

And by the way, chances schmances... just do your best. I don't think there are very many trustworthy "odds" statistics out there.
    shortlisted!

cataphract and jordan: i was referring specifically to miks' advice regarding SoPs.
    my high school japanese teacher is a JET panelist and while i don't claim lots of insider knowledge, i will say that apparently far too many applicants, in both their SoPs and interviews, concentrate on the teaching aspect of the programme to the detriment of the ostensible aim of grassroots internationalisation; and many are very poor at discussing how they would be good ambassadors for their home countries.

Quote Originally Posted by sinderella View Post
    It's a word...

EDIT: Mathematicians use it in case you were wondering...
    It's hideous though. A portmanteau of two words that mean, in most usage, the same thing. Yuck!

wicket: Fair enough, if I'm honest I didn't read it that diligently.

Maybe in future they should just start a whole "sample SoPs from participants" section. That way people can see what was actually successful in the past and decide on their own. Rather than bugging people who don't know for poor advice

that exists... i just can't find it...
    anyone?!?!

ETA: but for what it's worth, here's mine, complete with my maiden name, which i'm sure will thrill you all immensely.

and cut me a break. i was working and studying full time, so it was written bloody quickly; however might be worth noting 2 things:
    1. an overall coherent structure - 3 things introduced, 3 things discussed in subsequent paragraphs etc.
    2. use of blue rather than black and placement of name and heading - in short, try to make your layout a bit different and eye-catching.
    Last edited by wicket; February 3rd, 2010 at 07:36. Reason: to add attachment

that exists... i just can't find it...
    anyone?!?!
    Guesstimate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lol I may fail at speed typing, but I'm not usually in the habit at splicing words to create new ones :P

Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
    just because people get into the program doesn't automatically grant them knowledge of the inner workings of the JET selection committee. current or past JETs have no better an idea on this question than a n00b who's done a little bit of reading, unless the aforementioned JET worked for CLAIR or something afterwards.

there are plenty of areas where JET participants know considerably more than applicants but this isn't one of them
    Actually, not true with this question. The Chicago consulate told us the numbers at our pre-d meeting, which turned out to be about half accepted to the program from the interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxmaan70 View Post
    what are the chances of gaining admission to JET once you've made it to the interview stage?
    Quote Originally Posted by miks View Post
    Depends on your SOP.
    LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    Actually, not true with this question. The Chicago consulate told us the numbers at our pre-d meeting, which turned out to be about half accepted to the program from the interviews.
    Was that for the whole programme or just the Chicago interviewees?

Quote Originally Posted by sinderella View Post
    Guesstimate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lol I may fail at speed typing, but I'm not usually in the habit at splicing words to create new ones :P
    i'm not THAT much of a moron, i know guesstimate's a word.
    i meant "where is that old thread where we all posted our successful SoPs"?

i'm not THAT much of a moron, i know guesstimate's a word.
    i meant "where is that old thread where we all posted our successful SoPs"?
    Lol! My bad, it was b4 your edit I thought it was in response to Jordan!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Was that for the whole programme or just the Chicago interviewees?
    Those were the Chicago numbers from the year I came in, but a couple people from other consulates posted similar results last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
    And those numbers are available on the internet, too, with a little bit of google-work.
    Oh so now you've been told you're wrong, you're going back on your earlier statement that you have to work for CLAIR to know the info: "current or past JETs have no better an idea on this question than a n00b who's done a little bit of reading, unless the aforementioned JET worked for CLAIR or something afterwards."

So instead of commenting that new applicants and current JETs both don't know the answer to this question, why don't you post those numbers you have found on the internet with the bit of google work you have done?