Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Interview Questions/Advice

Default re: Interview Questions/Advice

Is it true that mentioning Tokyo is up there with anime on the not to mention list?

I can't see how. If you've been to Japan and only gone to Tokyo (like me) then you can't not mention it. Of course JET is mostly rural placements so you'd have to spin it like "I've been to Tokyo but I don't want to judge the whole of Japan on the capital, I chose JET because it places people in other areas so they can get a feel for the real Japan and not the tourist version. And also it pays a shitload more and has actual job security"

Trying my suit...damn I look bad.
    Oh well, its my only suit.
    And my only face- just can't get clean shaven!

Your interviews today??
    Ooh gl!
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    what the fuck does all of this have to do with bear arms? If you can't stick to the topic at hand I wish you'd just keep your mouth shut and quit derailing a perfectly good thread about bear arms.

I studied Japanese and I know they are going to ask for a jikoshoukai... does anyone have any suggestions what I should include? I'm use to classroom settings (as the student) introductions... I was wondering what information I should provide at the interview... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by morningmimi View Post
    I studied Japanese and I know they are going to ask for a jikoshoukai... does anyone have any suggestions what I should include? I'm use to classroom settings (as the student) introductions... I was wondering what information I should provide at the interview... Thanks!
    Good question. Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Um, for my self-introduction I basically said something like:

Hajimemashite. My name is Beth James. I'm from New Jersey. I'm a senior at Blah-blah College. My major is English Literature and my minor is Japanese. I have an interest in Japanese culture. ...Something else I can't remember... Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

That was about it. It was pretty short but the panel seemed vaguely impressed. Unfortunately, the consulate representative then asked me a followup question on what specifically about Japanese culture I liked and I spazzed because I couldn't remember the word for 'architecture' in Japanese. Still, they made me an alternate after that so I guess I didn't goof too badly.

The best advice I can give would be to keep it short and to the point. They're not looking for your life story. At the same time, don't be boring with it. Also, be prepared for followup questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    But you want my actual advice? Be an ALT instead. The CIRs I know are sad and lonely, sitting at their desk tapping away and not having as many holidays as ALTs. And also, honestly, most if not all of the CIRs here are really stuck up and none of them get on well with other JETs. I would rather be an ALT where I'm at my desk sometimes, but get to play with kids a lot and have fun, have the option of being able to make friends with other JETs, and have an overall better experience.
    Sorry? To be fair, I've only just started, and in a position that has had a lot of turnover...
    But so far, I am not lonely or having a bad time. Sure, I'm at a desk staring at a computer most of the day, but I have fun too. I like my co-workers, and I also work with other CIRs from different countries, who are all, BTW, really friendly and nice and helpful.

I'm sorry to hear that you feel the way you do about the CIRs in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Jade View Post
    But when you have to read it out loud, going "read *skip* read *skip* read *skip* read *skip*" it doesn't help you relax.
    LOL. That sounds very familiar! Thankfully, I might suck at kanji but my reading comprehension in general is pretty good, so I understood enough of the gist of the article that I could make educated guesses as to the follow-up questions. (I don't mean I just gave answers I thought might be wrong; I explained my thought process and how I was extrapolating my guesses..."Well I don't know how to read XY kanji but I know the meaning of Y kanji so I think this is saying something like ABC.")

I don't know if it's just changed since you applied, but I only had 2 articles, not 3, and it seemed like based on forums and such, everyone else also had 2.

Also, I had more than 2 questions for each article. I don't remember the exact number, but it was more like 4~6 or so questions directly about the text, and then 1~2 related questions on the topic, for each article.
    Last edited by OsakaAmerican; February 5th, 2011 at 18:51. Reason: Trying to accurately remember the last part.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    The CIRs I know are sad and lonely, sitting at their desk tapping away and not having as many holidays as ALTs. And also, honestly, most if not all of the CIRs here are really stuck up and none of them get on well with other JETs.
    That isn't my experience of the CIRs in my prefecture at all - they're not stuck up at all. They probably do work harder than some ALTs, but equally they get to do some pretty interesting stuff - and they don't work harder than some other ALTs.

In any case, in terms of general interview advice, mine would be to make sure that you have thought about how to answer the basic stuff: why JET? why Japan? why teaching? etc. etc.

I read so many accounts of the JET interview before mine that I expected them to ask me a load of really difficult or obscure stuff; but they didn't, they just asked me the really obvious questions, which I hadn't really prepared. If they do ask you a difficult question it's probably intended to be difficult, to test how you react under pressure or to unexpected circumstances, and so by definition it is difficult to prepare for.

just wondering if anybody has been asked to do a lesson demonstration during the interview?

Quote Originally Posted by Beth James View Post
    Um, for my self-introduction I basically said something like:

Hajimemashite. My name is Beth James. I'm from New Jersey. I'm a senior at Blah-blah College. My major is English Literature and my minor is Japanese. I have an interest in Japanese culture. ...Something else I can't remember... Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

That was about it. It was pretty short but the panel seemed vaguely impressed. Unfortunately, the consulate representative then asked me a followup question on what specifically about Japanese culture I liked and I spazzed because I couldn't remember the word for 'architecture' in Japanese. Still, they made me an alternate after that so I guess I didn't goof too badly.

The best advice I can give would be to keep it short and to the point. They're not looking for your life story. At the same time, don't be boring with it. Also, be prepared for followup questions.
    Do they always ask for a Japanese style self introduction? This one of those things I have no familiarity with, so if I'm likely to get this request then I would like some advice for what I need to know.
    Remember kids, the Internet doesn't make you more stupid, it just makes your stupidity more accessible by others

"You've got to get mad! You've got to say, 'I'm a human being, God damn it! My life has value!'"

Quote Originally Posted by jetmeplease View Post
    just wondering if anybody has been asked to do a lesson demonstration during the interview?
    I was. I hear it`s a pretty common thing they ask of potential JETs. Also, I don`t recall doing a Japanese self-introduction. They asked me to read something in Japanese since I had a Japanese background which I completely flubbed, but it apparently wasn`t held against me.

I was wondering, what is the most appropriate response to medical questions, specifically depression?

I listed that I'm currently taking anti-depressants and I'm sure that they'll ask about it during the interview (that's what they did last year). I don't quite remember what my answer was last time, but I think that I just said something simple like, "yes, I take anti-depressants, but it hasn't affected my job performance and I don't expect it to during JET." Since this will be my second time applying, I really don't want to trip on this question. Any advice?

Did you explain why you didn't think it would cause problems? Perhaps you should check for your medication's availability as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I think that I said that I didn't think that depression would be a problem since I would probably be active in the community by going to events and making some local friends. Basically, I was trying to explain that I wasn't going to be a shut-in.

Quote Originally Posted by MCAS View Post
    Do they always ask for a Japanese style self introduction? This one of those things I have no familiarity with, so if I'm likely to get this request then I would like some advice for what I need to know.
    Not necessarily. I was asked to do the entire self-introduction in Japanese in order to demonstrate my skill in the language but I don't think that the panel always has you do that sort of thing. The best advice I could give would be that if you stated on your application that you can speak Japanese, be prepared to speak it in the interview. (But also recognize that the subject may never come up.)

P.S. In case anyone was confused, I typed out most of my self-introduction in English here but during the interview I said everything in Japanese.

I wasn't asked to do an introduction in Japanese, or a demo lesson.

Beginning to think that's a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jetmeplease View Post
    I wasn't, but I think other applicants in my yeargroup were asked how they would explain certain grammar points to Japanese students.

(I also wasn't asked to do a self-introduction in Japanese - or even asked about my Japanese abilities at all.)

>_< jeeeeesus I can never remember my password! Anyway O_O When I was interviewed I was asked to do a demo lesson (about an American holiday) but I wasn't asked to do a self introduction in Japanese.