Thread: Live / Work Abroad Forum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb Live / Work Abroad Forum

Welcome to the newest forum on ITIL: Live/work abroad.

As the number of JETs decreases year upon year, I'm looking to expand our topic range outside JET. As it's quite common for JETs to travel extensively both on and after their tenure on the programme, I think this new forum will be relevant.

Personally, I have an interest in emigrating to Australia and have spent numerous hours looking for information on the net. It's not easy, far too many sites asking for payment information before giving advice and generally noone to talk to that knows what they are talking about. A forum to discuss visa issues etc would be quite helpful.

Enjoy!
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

Default Re: Live / Work Abroad Forum

Thanks Baron!
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    what the fuck does all of this have to do with bear arms? If you can't stick to the topic at hand I wish you'd just keep your mouth shut and quit derailing a perfectly good thread about bear arms.

I've got a couple of friends who've either successfully emigrated to Australia or are in the process of sorting it out, I can point them in this general direction. Which country are you based in, Baron? Just in case it makes a difference!
    "Time is a slippery bitch and needs to be tied down every so often so you can give it a good rogering."

Hey Leah,

Northern Ireland, UK. The thing that stumps me is, even if I do have enough points, you can't go there without a job, and you can't get a job without having the visa. Seems like a catch 22 but obviously I'm just not understanding something.
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

Cool - one of my friends who did it went from England but I don't imagine the procedure is much different from anywhere else in the UK. I'll pick his brains and/or send him here for you!
    "Time is a slippery bitch and needs to be tied down every so often so you can give it a good rogering."

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Baron View Post
    Welcome to the newest forum on ITIL: Live/work abroad.

As the number of JETs decreases year upon year, I'm looking to expand our topic range outside JET. As it's quite common for JETs to travel extensively both on and after their tenure on the programme, I think this new forum will be relevant.

Personally, I have an interest in emigrating to Australia and have spent numerous hours looking for information on the net. It's not easy, far too many sites asking for payment information before giving advice and generally noone to talk to that knows what they are talking about. A forum to discuss visa issues etc would be quite helpful.

Enjoy!
    Baron, the best place for this kind of information is actually the Australian government websites. Also there is a high demand at the moment for skilled migration so if you have any kind of trade to offer it shouldnt be to hard
    How are you? Yes yes!

Response from my friend for you, Baron:

The best thing to do is start by going to the Australian High Commission website :Visas, Migration and Citizenship - Australian High Commission and there is the Australian Government's immigration website: Department of Immigration & Citizenship

It should be noted it's very tough at the moment to apply, there is a massive backlog. Best thing to do is try and get a state-sponsored visa, which means contacting the relevant state directly to ask about opportunities. There are also some useful forums, such as PomsInOz Australia Migration & Expat Forum and Australia and New Zealand Magazine's one Get Me Downunder - The Adventure Starts Here; they also run periodic shows where you can deal directly with state governments and meet employers, banks etc., which can be very useful.
    He's also told me I can pass on his email address if you want to ask him anything, so let me know if you want it and I'll PM it to you.

Ouch! I just bit my tongue so hard.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

I think the people who run "Camp America" do an Aussie version. Of course it's "youth exchange"-type gap year stuff, but it might be a foot in the door / way to beg Australian employers to sponsor a visa for you.

Thanks for that Leah