Thread: Best alternatives to JET?

Default Best alternatives to JET?

I've dropped in a JET application, and truthfully I'm still waiting for a response but I'd like to keep my options open, in case I don't get in.

I've looked at some Japanese ALT positions/recruitment companies - Aeon, Amity, Interac etc - curious what the best ones are, bad points of each and so forth? Browsing this forum, no one seems to have a high opinion of anything.

I applied to Amity back in October, heard nothing from them at all, and I'm preparing an Interac application just now.

I'm wondering other peoples honest thoughts on the alternatives, or if I should (if rejected) just wait a year, keep studying Japanese in my own time and apply for JET again.

Default Re: Best alternatives to JET?

Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I did read those threads, the only thing I'm getting is an overwhelming negative vibe towards anything that isn't JET.

Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    I did read those threads, the only thing I'm getting is an overwhelming negative vibe towards anything that isn't JET.
    I'm getting suspicious that you're a troll. You couldn't have "read those threads" all that well, or you might have seen things like the following (which are not particularly negative at all; they examine both the positive and negative):

Quote Originally Posted by Timoshi View Post
    I know some interac people. They say it's not so bad. Interac won't look after you as well and the pay/conditions aren't as good...

... but the job is the same. You can have more of a say in your placement, and you can take 6month contracts if you like and then move around. You generally work less hours and the lifestyle is better than if you were working with an eikaiwa.
    Quote Originally Posted by swedeinshiga View Post
    Interac is OK............nothing special, somewhat less pay....but on the upside plenty of paid vacation. In the summer you get about 1 1/2 month paid vacation.
    The job is the same as JET, minus having to bother with the BOE
    Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    I know a person who works for Altia.

He likes it, and has been with them (working as an ALT in a JHS) for a number of years.

They pay less than JET - but you're only in school when lessons are on, so that means long holidays. They also employ their ALTs for 30 hours + a week - which means their ALTs get the public health care, etc.

I've heard that Interac will employ ALTs for 29 hours (and try to wring more out of them) so they don't have to pay into the public social security schemes.
    Jet and interac are the same

take home pay is the same but you don't get any sexy government worker health insurance or pension payments with interac.

Interac jobs tend to be busier because they are in big schools in cities. If you fancy sitting on your arse all day in a tiny rural shithole go for jet.

Biggest advantages of interac are there is no shitty AJET, no shitty conferences and none of this shit about having to be in the office during school holidays
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBosch View Post
    I taught for AEON for two years in Niigata-shi. The training and recruiting staff definitely try to keep everyone genki and mention the 'Aeon Way' a fair bit, but I think "cultish" is too strong a term. They have a fairly strong corporate culture, but no more than that.

The job itself was fine. I enjoyed managing my own classroom and getting to know my students. I didn't get paid as much or get as much time off as my friends in JET, but I was comfortable and happy.

The biggest downside is that because AEON is a for-profit company, they will pressure you to sell more classes/books/CDs to your students. I always hated the reminder that I was supposed to be a salesman AND a teacher, and I never tried very hard to sell anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBosch View Post
    I taught in Niigata-shi, Niigata-ken. My apartment was old, but nice- spacious and reasonably affordable, although the hot water heater was never up to snuff in the winter. AEON subsidized the rent- as I recall, AEON teachers paid 41,000 yen and everything after that AEON picked up. Rent was paid directly from my paychecks, and I didn't have to worry about key money or deposit or anything. The apartment came fully furnished with fridge, toaster over, tiny tv and VCR, kotatsu, bed, desk, rice cooker, pots and pans, etc. My predecessor didn't charge me for anything, although on my own initiative I upgraded the TV and then sold it at a huge discount to my own successor.

I visited several friends throughout Japan who also taught for AEON. They all had nice enough apartments, although I think mine was the biggest. The one I saw in Tokyo was pretty small, but typical for that city. Rent was standardized at a bit over 4 man, with anything over that covered by AEON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirokuma View Post
    Aeon is ok. Bit dodgey but they all are. Most people think they are alright. The heavy sales thing sucks.
    I'm sorry for bein' a bit snarky, but I'm just not sure what else it is that you need to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Tis no bother; you gave me the info I wanted.

There's not much info around about them, but I hear Joytalk are alright. Somebody on a blog comment thread was complaining that they took 70,000 out of her salary every month. But in a response I saw that they also sort out your rent and car rental automatically, so I suppose it's for that.
    Their salary apparently runs from 250,000 to 200,000 a month, you get more if you can speak Japanese or have teaching experience. I presume JET rejects (lets face it, you wouldn't be trying one of these companies by choice!) will be lacking both of those so bargain on 200,000. Knock off the 70,000 for rent and car rental and you have 130,000 left per month for food, petrol, parking and other odds and ends. Well that's what i've heard from the few sources out there anyway, your mileage may vary.
    Other things i've heard is that they interview you over Skype if you aren't already in Japan, and you are required to sing in the interview. They also require you to join sports clubs at your schools (probably just to keep out mouth-breathing otaku who can't get out of their chair without having to sit down). Apparently they also don't pay for your flight (but will help you find a 'cheap' one, which is going to be over
    £500 whatever way you look at it). And I don't know about key money etc, but i'd not bother unless you have significant savings. Oh and their placements start in March/April... so you need to get a move on if you get a JET rejection letter in mid Feb.
    Joytalk English Web Page

I dunno about over £500, I'm sure I've seen them as low as £340ish with the £400s being the norm.

hmm....I'm being really positive about getting into jet right now but still, it'd be nice to have cover. I said however in my application I was applying for no other similar programs, would it be fine to start applying for them now or would it count against my app?

Daddyatemyfries

Umm, why would JET need to know if you're applying elsewhere?I don't think it would count against you if you decided to now.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddyatemyfries View Post
    Umm, why would JET need to know if you're applying elsewhere?I don't think it would count against you if you decided to now.
    It was asked in the application.
    Guess I'm just over thinking, doubt they phone around all the companies asking if I'm applying there,

Just tell them you didn't decide to apply until after you had applied for JET.
    I applied for another programme that's actually a sister scheme of JET without stating it on the application, and I was worried it was going to screw it up but it didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    what the fuck does all of this have to do with bear arms? If you can't stick to the topic at hand I wish you'd just keep your mouth shut and quit derailing a perfectly good thread about bear arms.

Sister scheme of jet? Whats that then?

Daddyatemyfries

@Tyr: I doubt so too..
    I didn't state in my app I was applying to another job, simply because I wasn't, till 3 days later I panicked and decided to due to my application Houdini fiasco.

I recall one JET applicant stating on his app that he did state he was applying to another ALT/ESL company and was asked during his interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr View Post
    Sister scheme of jet? Whats that then?
    MEXT, perhaps? The embassy rep at the JET presentation I went to suggested I should also look into that since I'm a postgrad. I'm waiting to see if JET falls through before I do any investigating though.
    "Time is a slippery bitch and needs to be tied down every so often so you can give it a good rogering."

Originally Posted by tom
    I know a person who works for Altia.

He likes it, and has been with them (working as an ALT in a JHS) for a number of years.

They pay less than JET - but you're only in school when lessons are on, so that means long holidays. They also employ their ALTs for 30 hours + a week - which means their ALTs get the public health care, etc.

I've heard that Interac will employ ALTs for 29 hours (and try to wring more out of them) so they don't have to pay into the public social security schemes.
    Anybody know any more / got a web address for this company? Or have they gone bust? They sound alright but all I can find on Google is a company that makes pumps and a manga.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Quote Originally Posted by Leah View Post
    MEXT, perhaps? The embassy rep at the JET presentation I went to suggested I should also look into that since I'm a postgrad. I'm waiting to see if JET falls through before I do any investigating though.
    Aha, right.
    I might look into that a few years down the line if I decide to go for a PHD.

Quote Originally Posted by mteacher80 View Post
    Oh. Would have helped if i'd spelled the sodding name right.
    Anyway it looks like they are after people who are already in Japan and have experience working as an ALT. Might be worth considering for people who are at crap companies when their time's up and they don't want to leave Japan...