Thread: grad school applications: a year gap?

Default grad school applications: a year gap?

at this point I've pretty much decided I want to do grad school after JET, but as I haven't finalized any applications this year, I'll only be able to apply to a couple of schools I'm interested in--the ones that don't require GRE scores and have somewhat late deadlines. My GPA was quite good during college, so it's not impossible that I'd be fine.

HOWEVER! assuming I don't make it in/don't qualify for much in financial aid/some other unknown comes up, I may end up with a year at home working through a temp agency and studying for GREs/doing my grad school applications. that's fine with me, but how does it look to grad schools to have a year gap?

At this point I could recontract one more time and do all of my grad school apps during the next year. It'd give me a chance to save money and take the safe route. I'm liking my school just fine, but the clock is ticking, if you know what I mean.

If anyone has experience with this or helpful advice, I'd really appreciate it.
    Last edited by kamukamuume; January 23rd, 2011 at 22:31.

Default Re: grad school applications: a year gap?

ESID doods. i'm applying to a program where they stress the importance of "experience". i've done some interesting things since leaving college so hopefully they'll take that into consideration.
    honestly, i doubt any program would frown upon an applicant working to save up some scratch and get his affairs in order for a year.

Quality Control

There is also the occasional spring semester application, though they can be hard/impossible to find depending on the program. What do you want to study?

I don't think it matters much, undergrad isn't that impressive compared with grad work in the long stretch. If you're worried try and take some classes at a local college or some volunteer work related to your intended field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

thanks for the advice, guys. to be honest, I'm not sure what I want to study; I just know that being an ALT has its moments, but I want to be a professional in my home country in the long-run. I might continue with Japanese, I might not.

I decided a few days ago to recontract for one more year (the temptation of health insurance, decent pay, and the ability to avoid any kind of gap was too great).

Just an idea: you could do distance education and take some courses or even get a degree. There are some decent schools out there, just research the school well before you sign up, since there are so many degree mills out there too.

If I were in your shoes, I would stay another year. As long as you can handle being here. What field are you looking at, though? And making it late application dates and no GRE really limits things. If you go to the distance education route, be careful. Programs can be pretty shady.
    Last edited by elleohelle; June 1st, 2011 at 13:45.
    Quote Originally Posted by wry bread View Post
    Oh God, I wouldn't want a dude on an internet forum to think I'm fat.

I agree about staying another year. You'll make easy money, have plenty of time to do your applications and improve your Japanese skills.

The girl who replaced me is doing gap year back in the States before grad school and she plans to work at TJ Maxx during that time.

JET/ALTing > minimum wage retail job.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

If you're not sure what you want to study, you might find grad school pretty frustrating, depending on the field. Since most grad programs want you to do some kind of huge research, they generally want you to enter with a pretty good idea of what you want to do. I'd say hold off till you have a little more concrete of an idea.

-
    Last edited by Page; September 24th, 2011 at 13:18.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.