Thread: Did I ruin my chances during the interview?

Default Did I ruin my chances during the interview?

I am probably the person you all are hoping will give you an easy chance at placement with JET. I had my interview yesterday and felt like I really screwed up one part. Let me know how bad this sounds to you:

interviewer: "Do you like children?"
    me: "Not really. I'd rather be honest about this so that you don't send an elementary school full of children a teacher who wouldn't like them, because I do prefer to work with older students, middle schoolers or high schoolers."

The follow up question was if I had ever taught children, which I responded to by mentioning helping my little sister with her homework a lot, while my brain was just starting to comprehend how stupid it was to say that I don't like children. I'm hoping that the interviewers can at least understand and look past it to the more shining parts of the interview.

But really, what's your opinion on my trip-up?

That was the funniest thing I read all day. Its like something from a comedy sketch.

Well, hopefully my delightful sense of humor charmed them into acceptance, huh?

i think they may have found your honesty endearing. don't worry too much, if they say no then put it down to experience. if they say yes, well then knowing jet, you'll get an JHS/elementary placement.
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

Maybe its just how much one of the ex-jets seemed to enjoy the position but I'd actually not mind working at an elementary, sounds like a lot of fun... although rather tiring perhaps.

Anyway I dobut it had an impact, if thats your biggest worry about the interview then relax. It really doesn't seem like a big slip up, best to be honest.
    "Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy." Isaac Newton

I wouldn't worry about it. While it feels like a biggie, as long as you didn't swear and spit while saying it, you are probably fine.

Yeah, I didn't really start frothing at the mouth or twitching like I normally do when someone talks about children, so maybe it's not as bad as I thought. Thanks for the support, folks!

Could have been worse, you could have said "I like children, I mean I really like children" while drooling and rubbing your crotch
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Given a few of the ALTs I've met, even doing that doesn't seem to warrant a rejection.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrey
    Given a few of the ALTs I've met, even doing that doesn't seem to warrant a rejection.
    Fyrey, in regards to your sig - are you sure that's kerosene? I always figured that smell was the result of nights full of yakitori and nama biru.

The vast majority of ALTs end up in Junior high or senior high so I guess it wanst such a bad thing to say.