Thread: Am I crazy?

Default Am I crazy?

So I've recently been offered a spot with RCS. I want to jump on it right away and accept, but I've read some pretty bad stuff about them violating all types of labor laws and other stuff.. and on the other hand I've read a few things about people having a fine time with it.

If anyone with any RCS experience could respond that would be very helpful. Am I completely crazy to still want a job with them after everything I've read?

Default Re: Am I crazy?

Yes. You're absolutely crazy. Dispatch companies in general are bad. RCS is the worst. Don't do it.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

they pay scale of dispatch companies is a good sliding scale for how dodgy they are (and they are all bad to different degrees)
    How are you? Yes yes!

It wouldn't be worth it even for a year? I've read some mixed things, but I am concerned.

I've read how the operate illegally, pay little, and can be shady with deductions and what not... I guess I feel I can gut it out for a year and then move on. I don't have any personal experience with them though, so I don't know if that will legitimately work.

mothy, do you have any personal experience with them?

Banned

ignore mothy, hes just jealous of anyone who actually has a job and isnt a househusband. Give it a go, it might be ok and if you hate it jump ship to a better company once you are here and have your precious visa.

When they cut JET's numbers in my prefecture the dispatch company they decided to go with was RCS. The successor of my position was an RCS ALT. My wife's ALT is an RCS ALT. It's not a good company. And after one year they appear to already be on the way out here. Nobody I come into contact with seems happy with them, whether that be the ALTs or the schools getting the ALTs. Their pay, although comparable to most other dispatch companies, is less than any of the others I've looked at.

I guess if you're desperate enough to go to Japan then go for it. But no sane person should ever be that desperate.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

I don't think they are noticeably worse than Interac. I worked at Interac and it sucked. I know people who worked at RCS. I don't see the difference. As far as I know a full time position with either is the same job for the same pay. RCS has some other contracts where you are paid per day, etc, which to me would not qualify as full time work -- too many unpaid days off to make it.

Full time I don't know exactly what they pay but let's say it's around 250,000. With Interac this is reduced in the summer and winter; I would be very surprised if this were not the case with RCS. I don't know where you are looking to get placed or what a decent apartment goes for outside a big city but I would count on 50,000 - 80,000 a month off that 250,000 depending on location. You have bills and a cellphone, you have to eat, and you want to go out.

You won't die, but I consider it scraping by.

If you are really excited to come to Japan, do it. You will have fun and you can use their visa to look for any other job you want.

If you wanted to be a nutter you could pick up more work outside that. (Would not mention this to RCS.) But I am sure a kiddy school or eikaiwa or something would be looking for someone on a busy day like Saturday. Or a couple evenings at an eikaiwa. You would be working your balls off but another 50,000 / mo would put you into "comfy" as far as income goes.

eta - I have always wondered what people who come over with Interac/RCS do for housing. Anyone who did please reply. Did you find your own place? Did you have to suck up multiple months rent in key/agency/deposit fees? Once established, getting monthly salary, paying monthly rent, I think 250,000 can be done. Interac paid the last day of the following month (start in April, first paycheck May 31st). If you came and had to pay 3 - 4 months rent up front, you'd be covering 4 - 5 months rent plus your life for 2 months with no income. That would require some serious savings and probably not be worth doing for a year.
    Last edited by privileged; January 31st, 2011 at 15:18.

Quote Originally Posted by privileged View Post
    eta - I have always wondered what people who come over with Interac/RCS do for housing. Anyone who did please reply. Did you find your own place? Did you have to suck up multiple months rent in key/agency/deposit fees? Once established, getting monthly salary, paying monthly rent, I think 250,000 can be done. Interac paid the last day of the following month (start in April, first paycheck May 31st). If you came and had to pay 3 - 4 months rent up front, you'd be covering 4 - 5 months rent plus your life for 2 months with no income. That would require some serious savings and probably not be worth doing for a year.
    They find you housing - usually around 3-60000 a month. Key money and all that crap is about 3 months rent. If u dont have it up front they will give you a v.low interest loan that you can pay back. But your right about not having an income for 2 months..
    How are you? Yes yes!

I don't know how people do that. Could you qualify for actual poverty level?

You come in April, work 2 months before getting paid (while paying rent), you finally get a paycheck and there are deductions from it for key money and shit? So by the time August rolls around you have a month off and can't afford to do anything. You stay home and jack off, then get your August pay in Sept which is reduced to what, 60% or something, almost certainly have not paid off your loan, so still get more taken out?

You'd still be fucked by December!

I don't see how you could dig out of that without taking on more work.

AEON sucked but I would advise anyone to try there first. Furnished apartment, no key/agency/deposit money*, subsized rent.

*You pay your subsidized first and last month's rent, kind of a deposit but a sweet deal compared to my updated understanding of RCS/Interac.

I would say you are mildly crazy. If you want to come here that bad (newsflash: Japan's not all it's cracked up to be, especially when you have to work here) come and then ditch them for another job later. Or look into eikaiwa.

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    I would say you are mildly crazy. If you want to come here that bad (newsflash: Japan's not all it's cracked up to be, especially when you have to work here) come and then ditch them for another job later. Or look into eikaiwa.

I know there has been a lot of discussion on alternatives to JET and people with the Japan or Bust mentality. But with that in mind, do you recommend any particular company or eikawa as the best of the worst?

Interac has a reputation for being the best of a bad bunch of dispatch companies. I've heard the company Altia Central is not bad either, but I have no personal experience. I will say that talking to JTE's around here that they are usually not thrilled with the ALTs that come from Heart, and many apparently leave after 6 months to a year. So I'd say be wary of Heart.

With a big chain eikaiwa like AEON you know you're at least going to get a pay check and they will help you out. I know there are plenty of people that are happy with eikaiwa jobs. The only thing is that the industry is not what is used to be and the companies are going through some tough times, so who knows if AEON will even last.

Another idea is to check into small to medium sized eikaiwas. Check ohayosensei.com for a bunch of listings.

Anybody hear anything about iTTTi? I only just found out about its existence.

Quote Originally Posted by EMTQueen View Post
    Anybody hear anything about iTTTi? I only just found out about its existence.
    http://forum.gaijinpot.com/showthrea...Club-and-iTTTi
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Interac has a reputation for being the best of a bad bunch of dispatch companies. I've heard the company Altia Central is not bad either, but I have no personal experience. I will say that talking to JTE's around here that they are usually not thrilled with the ALTs that come from Heart, and many apparently leave after 6 months to a year. So I'd say be wary of Heart.

With a big chain eikaiwa like AEON you know you're at least going to get a pay check and they will help you out. I know there are plenty of people that are happy with eikaiwa jobs. The only thing is that the industry is not what is used to be and the companies are going through some tough times, so who knows if AEON will even last.

Another idea is to check into small to medium sized eikaiwas. Check ohayosensei.com for a bunch of listings.
    I know you kind of address it but I must stress how untrue the bolded statement is.
    I worked for GEOS and for the first 6 months I felt pretty secure but as I got more into the know and talked to more people I discovered the eikaiwa world is very unstable and worry about getting paid was a monthly affair. Not to mention they never ever help you out unless you persist and persist and even then it's like pulling teeth to get them to do anything even if it doesn't cost them money.
    Big eikaiwa are shady, exploitative and unstable. I DO NOT reccommend.
    I lost out on so much money (only got a portion back from the government) when GEOS went under and ran leaving us all high and dry...

Sorry I guess I didn't realize things were that bad with eikaiwa!

Sorry I guess I didn't realize things were that bad with eikaiwa!
    No worries I worked for GEOS for two years and formed that opinion, others might disagree if they weren't around for the end of the golden years and the great fall.

Do not work for RCS, they are one of the worst mainline dispatch companies for ALTs.

Besides the obvious low salary, you can expect to have very little support if you require it. Many people have had issues about not being paid transportation, and some people have unreasonable commutes (over an hour and often to different cities). They'll do whatever it takes to pay you the absolute minimum.

Of course, not paying health insurance or helping with any living expenses are to be expected.

Quality of hires is extremely low and thus most schools have poor working conditions and are quite frustrated with RCS yet the teachers have no power to challenge them.

Expect to be overstressed and put on your own with no real direction from the company and discouragement of discussing these things with the other English teachers. There are countless individual horror stories available if you do the research.

There is absolutely no reason to work for RCS and taking a position with them even though you know the dangers beforehand is simply idiotic and contributing to the decay of salary and conditions for ALTs. If you do decide to work for them, you should expect absolutely no sympathy or help from us when you (quickly) start to be unhappy with the job. You will not be happy with your time in Japan.