Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to go in Japan

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Default Where to go in Japan

A friend is coming to visit for a while this summer. We are going to drive from Kagoshima to Hokkaido. We’ve done all the big places; Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, etc. Can anyone recommend some cool places to go? We don’t mind getting off the beaten track a bit.
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

Default Re: Where to go in Japan

Shikoku?

Atami is nice if you like resort towns.

Shikoku. if you've got a car you can drive around, but Kochi and Matsuyama are very nice areas.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

We're driving the whole way. What is in Shikoku?

everyone says kobe is nice

if you are going to be in hokkaido I heard that cranemura is nice
    guys, im not playing anymore

Aso-Kuju National Park (mountain range between Kumamoto and Oita) is GORGEOUS. Highly recommended. Lots of hiking, tasty restaurants, volcanos, and it looks like Africa. On my FB you can see photos in the "Rachel's Japanniversary in Oita" album.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

well if you were my facebook friend you could see pictures from my "Rondo's Sister Visits Cranemura" album. Only the first half of the pictures are her sobbing. The rest are ok
    guys, im not playing anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Meelynn View Post
    Aso-Kuju National Park (mountain range between Kumamoto and Oita) is GORGEOUS. Highly recommended. Lots of hiking, tasty restaurants, volcanos, and it looks like Africa. On my FB you can see photos in the "Rachel's Japanniversary in Oita" album.
    We've been to Aso, and it is awesome, but we're looking for something new. But outdoors type stuff is best.

yakushima is very pretty.

I LOVE YAKUSHIMA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kalliea View Post
    We're driving the whole way. What is in Shikoku?
    Shikoku travel guide - Wikitravel

There’s a ferry from Beppu but I don’t know if you can take cars on it.

minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Beppu would be a cool stop over. Then you could ferry to Shikoku (if they permit cars). But maybe if it's summer scalding hot onsen baths might not be too appealing. Japanese people seem to enjoy onsens in summer. I'm not sure why.

I've done some onsens in summer. They are still nice. Especially if you can go from cold pool to hot onsen. Mmmm.

But we are coming from Beppu. I don't know if we need more onsens...

Could do a brief stop in Okayama. Especially if you come over from a visit to Shikoku, you can drive across the huge Seto-Ohashi bridge and stop at the small touristy islands on the way.

Then relax at Korakuen in Okayama city or take a sightseeing/shopping trip to Kurashiki's Historical Bizen district.

Plus if you're in Okayama around the end of July or beginning of August you'll be there in time for the white peaches to be at their best. Seriously, I wouldn't recommend something as trivial as fruit if it wasn't amazing. That crap found elsewhere in the country called "white peaches" can't compare.

And if it is in August, there's a great fireworks festival in the city during the first week.

So that's my suggestion for you to consider.

don’t mention peaches around Kalliea!!

Hush you.

Sadly it will be in early July, not late/August. Maybe there will still be peaches?

Quote Originally Posted by kalliea View Post
    Hush you.

Sadly it will be in early July, not late/August. Maybe there will still be peaches?
    There will still be peaches. Maybe not as readily available as later in the month but you might get some good ones.

That sounds fun. I've never picked white peaches before. *adds it to the list.*

Thanks!

The peaches you picked out of your ruined kitchen floor weren't white?

I'd suggest a J-baseball tour as you work your way up towards Hokkaido. J-league games are awesome and the atmosphere is unmatched compared with MLB games.

Takasaki in Gunma has a pretty cool fireworks festival along the river sometime in July. I was always impressed by the madness.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"