Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Interac Short Essay Help

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Interac Short Essay Help

Ini is spot on, as usual.

Your friends are being silly. Exploring your own culture and their culture at the same time is pretty awesome. Experience working with special needs children is also a bonus. Working with students whose first language isn't English is a bonus.

I mean... hell, not including myself, I have two special needs students in my classroom. One of whom seems to have a decent level of aspergers (possibly moving straight into actual autism), the other having a variety of social anxiety disorders. Though you probably won't end up at something like this, I also teach at the local school for the mentally handicapped (full Autism/Downs) and hearing challenged.

Remember, it's not just your "teaching English" to these kids, but your social skills in interacting with them that you can bring to the front. That's probably more important than any level of English you are bringing to the discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I think 90% of all the students I've ever taught were special needs.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Thank you all so much! I think I will stick to asking for opinions and advice from others who are looking to teach or already teaching. I appreciate my friends trying to play devil's advocate to get me to think about what I'm writing differently, but I feel that what I'm writing so far is going in the right direction. Thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I mean... hell, not including myself, I have two special needs students in my classroom. One of whom seems to have a decent level of aspergers (possibly moving straight into actual autism), the other having a variety of social anxiety disorders. Though you probably won't end up at something like this, I also teach at the local school for the mentally handicapped (full Autism/Downs) and hearing challenged.

Remember, it's not just your "teaching English" to these kids, but your social skills in interacting with them that you can bring to the front. That's probably more important than any level of English you are bringing to the discussion.
    Though I don't think I will end up at a similar school either, I wouldn't mind if I did! Again, thank you. This website has been very helpful!

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Woah Gizmo. Pretty sure the parents of the kids I teach wouldn't be too thrilled at having Autism considered as a 'mental handicap', since most autistic people are of average or above average intelligence. Also, autism and Aspergers are quite different - you can't 'slide' from one into the other.
    I'm adding to the argument of ignoring well-meaning friends and writing what is right for you.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Bugger. I did it. What I always hated people for. I revived a months-dead thread.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    Woah Gizmo. Pretty sure the parents of the kids I teach wouldn't be too thrilled at having Autism considered as a 'mental handicap', since most autistic people are of average or above average intelligence. Also, autism and Aspergers are quite different - you can't 'slide' from one into the other.
    I'm adding to the argument of ignoring well-meaning friends and writing what is right for you.
    GRATS ON THREAD NECROMANCY!

Aspergers is high functioning autism. It's a delineation on the autism scale. I'm quite aware of the degree to which intelligence applies, but it is still a mental handicap if they cannot use that intelligence to effectively accomplish the same tasks as the rest of the class. (IE, some kids can use it to their advantage to perform tasks at an increased rate of speed or complexity, the others have a handicap)

And boo hoo to the parents. They'll cry if you give a kid a silver star instead of a gold star. They'll cry if you give him a 4 instead of a 5. Everyone of their kids is another damned special snow flake.

Probably one of the reasons I like Japan so much. The parents might think their kids are special... just in the other direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    . Also, autism and Aspergers are quite different - you can't 'slide' from one into the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Decided to finally stop lurking and join in.

I was about to submit my online application with Interac, but am a bit confused by some of what I've read online.

When I login to the Interac website to submit applications, it asks for the basic information (schools, work experience, etc) and a cover letter/personal statement under 2500 characters. I've had to do cover letters and personal statements before so I wrote why I'm interested in the position and why I'm suitable for it.

But everyone I see posting about Interac says they ask for 2 personal essays along the lines of why you want the position and what you expect from it. Are these two essays later on in the application process?

Or should this be covered in the cover letter/personal statement?

Somewhere... maybe... I think I'm lost... anyone got a map?

Quote Originally Posted by thelastday View Post
    Decided to finally stop lurking and join in.

I was about to submit my online application with Interac, but am a bit confused by some of what I've read online.

When I login to the Interac website to submit applications, it asks for the basic information (schools, work experience, etc) and a cover letter/personal statement under 2500 characters. I've had to do cover letters and personal statements before so I wrote why I'm interested in the position and why I'm suitable for it.

But everyone I see posting about Interac says they ask for 2 personal essays along the lines of why you want the position and what you expect from it. Are these two essays later on in the application process?

Or should this be covered in the cover letter/personal statement?
    Wow, I haven't been pinged on this forum for a while. My email says someone posted so here I am. They changed their website...sometime last year-ish I think. Been a while. During that time it seems they went from a flash site to an HTML site. I assume they updated their application as well. As for asking for essays later on in the process, probably not. It wouldn't make sense to ask for beginning of process stuff later on in the application process. Maybe they added more interview questions or something similar to get the same information. Maybe they just got rid of the essay information in general. We'll never know.

The new site is...different to say the least. Some information is more fleshed out and other bits became a little more vague... The Youtube videos hurt my eyes...why did you post? You made me watch those videos that switch camera angles every five seconds... Why change the angle every five seconds...it doesn't make sense...
    "I wonder how much effort is requires for a person to become happy. I think misfortune is a spiral. Once it starts it's hard to escape. In order to escape it takes everything you have to reach the end. Once you've given everything you can finally grasp it. I think that's what happiness means." Rena Ryuuguu

Honestly, I don't think it's important. I planned to go back and write the essay after filling out the rest of the application, but I forgot and submit it without any essay. I got hired.

**PLEASE DON'T BAN ME FOR REVIVING AN ALMOST 3 MONTH OLD THREAD!!! I just figured it was best to post in here since this thread was already full of great information, and didn't feel my post required a new topic**

So, I am currently applying for Interac's Spring 2015 Session. I wanted to get the application out of the way as early as possible, just in case I run into issues between then and now. I was wondering if someone could have a look at my essay. For background, I don't have any teaching experience, haven't taken courses in learning Japanese or Japanese history. I've been wanting to teach in Japan for a while, but only got the courage to actually go for it recently, and have been doing extensive research on the sort of things to expect.....
    blah blah, anyways, my essay can be found here:

Also, it seems that sometime between last year and this year, they changed the application format to include a Cover Letter instead of the two questions (why/what). My essay clocks in at 2400ish characters, but I figure it's alright to have somewhere within the range of 2000-2500 characters.

Feel free to tear me a new one. I welcome criticism (I am aware of the missing period at the end of the first paragraph, but I can't re-upload it from where I am ). Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by halobeast; May 5th, 2014 at 06:44.