Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Interac Personal Interview?

Default Interac Personal Interview?

I've got my interview with Interac coming up shortly and was wondering if anyone with previous experience could shed some light into the personal interview for Interac. Just like any other job interview? Having not had much interview experience I'm not looking forward to it and any insight would be appreciated.

I'm not as worried for the short lesson demonstration as they give you plenty of preparation material for that.

Default Re: Interac Personal Interview?

It's a very relaxed interview. Not as daunting as the JET interview and it feels a lot less formal. (i.e. you sit on a sofa around a coffe table in oppose to the dragons den interview of JET) I felt at ease.

They will basically go through what you have said about yourself and want to know more about your goals and you. will you be able to cope, do you have enough money for start up costs etc etc. TBH that and the power Point Presentation are the most stress free parts imo.

That's reassuring to hear. Going to do some preparation for some questions that I expect may come up. Still going to be dreading it on the day nontheless. First time I've applied for an ALT position so not sure what to expect.

Not sure if you have to do it from overseas but when I interviewed with them here in Japan you had to teach to imaginary students in front of a video camera, very painful.

But I was told about it up front so if you weren't warned perhaps you don't have to do it.

yeah cheezing mentioned that bit
    I'm not as worried for the short lesson demonstration as they give you plenty of preparation material for that.
    so I didn't mention it. They give us A LOT of guidelines and advice for it, so it isn't that daunting. Last year I don't even think I looked at all the info (there was certainly a lot more attachments to this email than the last time I applied) so I have no idea how I made it through the video bit.

I just had my interview with Interac today. Despite it starting off horribly, it ended well.

I was sitting waiting for my phone call, and when it finally came was the time my phone decided not to let me answer my phone (I have a Droid 2). How embarrassing for me! I tried everything. Spamming buttons, pressing the on-off button. I was forced to sit and listen to my phone ring helplessly. And then the phone stopped ringing, and I had control of my phone again. I felt as though fate was being cruel! Haha.

Anyways, I was able to call the number back and speak to the recruiter (THANKFULLY). I explained the situation and he seemed understanding and we went right into our interview.

I passed the phone interview (he told me at the end of our phone interview) and said he wanted me to go to one of the seminars, which I, of course, agreed to. I'm so happy things worked out. Hah.

Congrats! After the phone drama, I'm glad it went well!

Do you know when the seminar date will be yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerensa View Post
    I just had my interview with Interac today. Despite it starting off horribly, it ended well.

I was sitting waiting for my phone call, and when it finally came was the time my phone decided not to let me answer my phone (I have a Droid 2). How embarrassing for me! I tried everything. Spamming buttons, pressing the on-off button. I was forced to sit and listen to my phone ring helplessly. And then the phone stopped ringing, and I had control of my phone again. I felt as though fate was being cruel! Haha.

Anyways, I was able to call the number back and speak to the recruiter (THANKFULLY). I explained the situation and he seemed understanding and we went right into our interview.

I passed the phone interview (he told me at the end of our phone interview) and said he wanted me to go to one of the seminars, which I, of course, agreed to. I'm so happy things worked out. Hah.
    Oh god, my phone interview is tomorrow and I have an awkward smart phone too... I'll just hope for the best.

So what kind of questions did he ask you?

Quote Originally Posted by Minxie1418 View Post
    Oh god, my phone interview is tomorrow and I have an awkward smart phone too... I'll just hope for the best.

So what kind of questions did he ask you?

He asked about my experience, how interac would help me with my possible future career goals, asked if I would be willing to get an international driver's license and that's about it. Oh, he asked if I had a preference over elementary or high school students, and where I would like to be placed in Japan.

I wouldn't be too worried. If you truly have a desire to go and teach in Japan, you'll be fine--as long as your personable. I mean, I was able to redeem myself after missing his phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by sinderella View Post
    Congrats! After the phone drama, I'm glad it went well!

Do you know when the seminar date will be yet?
    No. He just said to keep my Saturdays in April open. At least on the US side.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerensa View Post
    He asked about my experience, how interac would help me with my possible future career goals, asked if I would be willing to get an international driver's license and that's about it. Oh, he asked if I had a preference over elementary or high school students, and where I would like to be placed in Japan.

I wouldn't be too worried. If you truly have a desire to go and teach in Japan, you'll be fine--as long as your personable. I mean, I was able to redeem myself after missing his phone call.
    Okay - thanks.

Daddyatemyfries

@kerensa: Congrads!! And thats good news the seminars aren't until April!!
    So um...alil curious, did you interview with Jason?

I just had my phone interview and it went well - I got a seminar invitation. Second hurdle, cleared!
    Here comes April... Lol that's the most unfortunate thing about these ALT application processes, the endless waiting.

Edit: double post!
    Last edited by Minxie1418; February 18th, 2011 at 04:19.

My phone interview is tomorrow! I'm excited. Do they ask any questions about the history/culture of Japan like they sometimes do in the JET interviews? Like what are the four main islands, or name a current japanese event etc. I was trying to keep up with Japanese news just in case but if all they ask are the general "why do you want to go to Japan" questions then I think I should be A ok.

Also, after this seminar do we know if they will offer us a job or is there yet another step after that?

If its anything like the UK one (which i believe it is) they will only really asking you about your app and why Japan more or less. They're probably checking you have vocal chords too im guessing.

I was asked the "Why Japan?" question only. (I did happen to talk about about the history and culture in my answer)

I should've asked whether you get a job offer at the seminar or after when he asked if I had any other questions... You should ask about that if you can.

hmm, I've heard nothing from them having applied. Dang.

Some stuff about seminars has appeared when I log in though. :s All of course are over.
    Did others get emailed first?
    Last edited by Tyr; February 18th, 2011 at 07:33.

Daddyatemyfries

Mine is in 2hours....OMFG freaking out XD
    I can do this!! I must remember to breath haha

Seems like everyones telephone interviews are around the same time.

c'mon now, don't forget to breathe, YOU CAN DOOOOO IT!
    Last edited by Shankerbelle; February 18th, 2011 at 07:47. Reason: bit got chopped off