Thread: Online TEFL courses

Default Online TEFL courses

To increase my chances of being accepted into JET next year, would it be beneficial to take an online TEFL course? or are they a waste of time and money? Online courses in general have a reputation of being "second-rate" to real university classes, and I'm not sure if JET would recognize a certificate from one. Thanks to anyone who can help!

Default Re: Online TEFL courses

It probably won't hurt, but it probably won't help much, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

For TEFL, it really doesn't matter if you get it online or not. An online cert is basically the same as a campus one. However, how much having a TEFL will help you get accepted is rather questionable, no matter where it came from.
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

So a TEFL class wouldn't help my chances at JET that much? Hmmm... :/ Thanks for the tip

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

It wouldn't hurt your chances. If you have no teaching experience, it might help.
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

In the Tefl world an online certificate is not worth the paper it's written on. I have no idea if it would help you into jet (a classmate of mine who also had a tesol degree got rejected the first time round) but it may help you once you're here.

My advice would be to not do it, but read up on different methods (japan uses the grammar translation method, for example) and have stuff to say on those ready for the interview.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

double post
    Last edited by seinfeld; February 23rd, 2011 at 12:45.

If it's not from an accredited university or school, you're wasting your money. The absolute worst are those 120 hour classes or the like. Once you finish the course they'll refer you to Interac and similar dispatchers, which gives you a good view of just how worthless your time was.

waste of time, don't bother.