Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    Why would you be offensive to me about a simple question? I'm sorry I don't know everything about every part of japan..
    It was a self depricating joke...as I QQ about Okinawa all the time...Thus the reason I didn't actually post anything offensive..

I assumed the racism
    Was just towards the American base and that normal life would be similar to what we get here.

Guess I was wrong.
    Anyhoo, bad attempts at jokes aside, most of the racism stems from the bases, but that means that every foreigner around is a horrible dirty base person waiting to pillage and rape every "normal" person. There's no distinction between anything other than American and Okinawain which is a little upseting. Perhaps this is the case on mainland too, with the lack of anything other than American or Japanese? I don't know.

To me it seems a lot more racist than mainland Japan, but having only spent 3 days there (mainland), it may just have been incorrect perceptions.
    Don't get me wrong, obviously there are people from the younger generation who are more open to foreigners, and actually like them, but Okinawa is full of 100+ year old people who aren't changing their mind any time soon. One can only hope that the racist bunch will die out soon and not spread their woe to the youngest generation.

Regarding jobs, I'm afraid there's only one person I know here who was a boyfriend of an ALT who managed to get a work visa and job without having to marry his girlfriend . It seems to be all about who you know. It's a bit like living in Japan in the 70's. It's difficult to get anywhere, do anything, and heaven forbid you want to use the internet to find jobs .

If you're serious, I can keep you posted if I hear about any openings?

If only we could transfer places for a year :P Then I could experience mainland and you could experience Okinawa hehe.
    Last edited by Kegger; March 3rd, 2011 at 16:15.

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

Default Re: Okinawa

Nah I have a job waiting for me thanks, I was just curious. It's a shame it's like that. Okinawa has such awesome culture it would be cool to live there and learn more about it from the people.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

Go to Chatan town and see the banana show. It’s eye opening. Especially when she launches it at you. She also includes a snake in her routine last time I went to see it.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

I've been to Okinawa a couple of times now.
    I'd agree pretty much with what everyone else has said. If you've got a few days I'd suggest renting a car for a couple of them and staying one night somewhere further up North. Driving in and out of Naha, past the military base, can take quite a long time so you'd be wasting a lot of time doing that if you only had a car for one day. The ocean expo is a must really and there are some nice beaches within a short drive.

If you just want a day on the beach ditch the car and get a ferry to one of the smaller islands. Aharen beach on Tokashikijima had some of the best snorkeling I've even seen.
    Official Website of Tokashiki Village, Okinawa
    There isn't much else there though apart from a few cafes, dive shops and guesthouses.

One good thing about Naha is the huge selection of budget guesthouses if you're trying to travel cheaply. There's a pretty big selection of dorm rooms for under 1500yen.

For smaller islands, I'd recommend "Zamami". Absolutely stunning place.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

How do you get there?
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

Take a ferry from Tomari, the port in Naha. Its about a 2h ferry. Can't remember the cost, but I think it was around 4,000 return. It's closer than Tokashiki but fantastic.

Note, I went in the summer which was a little too hot. The temperatures start to get stupid in July/August.
    Last edited by Kegger; March 4th, 2011 at 08:48.

If you go to Okinawa I suggest you go to the beach and see all the black marines trying to pick up Okinawan junior high students. If you are lucky you might even get to see some white marines doing it too!
    guys, im not playing anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    Guess I was wrong.
    I'll offer a second opinion and say that life in Okinawa is pretty awesome, but like everywhere it depends where you live. Even on a small island like Oki, your quality of life will vary dramatically depending on where you live. So yes, if you live in the middle of the island where all the bases are, you might get sick of it really quick: Military guys are obnoxious (with some exceptions), their jet fighters are LOUD, many locals are hostile (in a Japanese passive-aggressive way) to foreigners, and the traffic is snarled to shit most of the time. However, there are many other places where the pace of life is slow, the locals are friendly, the streets are clear, and nary a camouflage truck in sight.

As for jobs, its not super easy, but I know some people who have non-teaching jobs here. It used to be (relatively) easy for Americans to get jobs on base, but I hear they stopped hiring civilians even for administrative desk work. Plus if you're not American it's a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Kelvinator View Post
    I if you live in the middle of the island where all the bases are, you might get sick of it really quick: Military guys are obnoxious (with some exceptions), their jet fighters are LOUD, many locals are hostile (in a Japanese passive-aggressive way) to foreigners, and the traffic is snarled to shit most of the time.
    + 1 for perfect description of my life.

Disclaimer: Its not... that bad. I like it most days
    Last edited by Kegger; March 4th, 2011 at 09:23.

have there been any rapes lately?
    guys, im not playing anymore

Ok Kalliea, I'm not feeling so bitchy today, so I suppose it's possible that I could help you out.
    Last edited by Lego; March 4th, 2011 at 15:04.
    minor rant: abe vigoda

Quote Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
    + 1 for perfect description of my life.

Disclaimer: Its not... that bad. I like it most days
    nice 8 point font disclaimer.

On the other hand, you guys have a shit-ton of infrastructure that people living in the boonies don't have. Bars, restaurants, live houses, karaoke, even grocery stores are all sorely lacking in the backwaters (we still have plenty of snack clubs though, go figure). You don't have to drive 25 minutes to buy anything more complicated than rice and miso and seaweed. I'm not saying I would love to live near the bases, I just think there may be benefits that you are overlooking.
    Last edited by Admiral Kelvinator; March 4th, 2011 at 09:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Kelvinator View Post
    nice 8 point font disclaimer.

On the other hand, you guys have a shit-ton of infrastructure that people living in the boonies don't have. Bars, restaurants, live houses, karaoke, even grocery stores are all sorely lacking in the backwaters (we still have plenty of snack clubs though, go figure). You don't have to drive 25 minutes to buy anything more complicated than rice and miso and seaweed. I'm not saying I would love to live near the bases, I just think there may be benefits that you are overlooking.
    There are no bars where I live nor any restruants where I can eat anything (restricted diet). I live in the middle of snackbar town. No kidding, there's (and I counted), 45 on my street alone, not including neighbouring streets. Kareoke yes, grocery stores yes..but I think Im the only person who cant see anything but sodding grey streets. No ocean view, nothing. Just endless streets of depressed and empty shops. I do have to drive places to get proper food that I can eat/entertainment, but yes I guess driving 25 minutes for food would drive me mad.

The backwater of nowhere on the other hand, beautiful beaches, non-complicated life, calmness and serenity? opportunity to improve japanese, grow your own food, actually talk to local people and not get evil gaijin eye everywhere you went? Eating fresh local produce?

I have always struggled with grass is greener syndrome :P

Banana. Show.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.