Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back up plans...

Default Back up plans...

Just curious as to what people were planning if they aren't accepted. Are you applying to private programs in Japan? Staying at home? Going somewhere else?....

I've applied to the Teaching English in Japan program through Earlham College as well..

If neither.. no worries, I've got a master's degree.. I can surely find something to do. I think I may move to Austin, TX and work at an Amy's Ice Creams shop.
    It is a solidly built word of just four letters, bracketed by rock-hard consonants. It ... explodes into space from a gate formed by the upper incisors and the lower lip. Then it slams to a dramatic glottal cough.

If I don't get through, I'll be working one more summer here (probably) and going on my Working Holiday visa to Osaka to party and find a real job in a Japanese company, but I'll probably end up teaching English like everyone else and wasting all my money on beer. Shit, it's a hard life isn't it. Part of me kind of hopes I don't get through on JET so I have an excuse to waste more of my dwindling youth drunk and obnoxious.
    Knock, knock. Who's there? Shut your pie. Shut your pie who? Shut your pie hole (please visit Penny-Arcade.com).

Pandilex

Ah but you can save up your JET money, still get wasted every day (as seems to be the Japanese culture) and then go back home and spend it on another degree or something, join loads of societies and clubs, and never leave them. Get a full time job at the uni, and spend your entire life as a party goer! Woohooooo!

Hehe!

*Looks in wallet.*

Oh.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

if by saving you mean the compulsory pension scheme then HELL YEAH...oh you mean actual saving...if you're in a city you can kiss it goodbye.
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

Why? Where is the city going?

Not entirely true, I have friends who live in downtown Hiroshima and manage to save. Depends on your lifestyle and how disciplined you are.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Quote Originally Posted by staples
    Part of me kind of hopes I don't get through on JET so I have an excuse to waste more of my dwindling youth drunk and obnoxious.

I'm sorry but how is getting on jet going to stop you doing that?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by staples
    Part of me kind of hopes I don't get through on JET so I have an excuse to waste more of my dwindling youth drunk and obnoxious.
    Funny that, that's my entire reason for going. Well... maybe not.. but it's up there.
    It is a solidly built word of just four letters, bracketed by rock-hard consonants. It ... explodes into space from a gate formed by the upper incisors and the lower lip. Then it slams to a dramatic glottal cough.

If neither.. no worries, I've got a master's degree.. I can surely find something to do. I think I may move to Austin, TX and work at an Amy's Ice Creams shop.
    Sounds good...used to live down in TX and if you can deal with everyone thinking that they live on the greatest place on earth without ever having been somewhere else it's really nice. And ice cream....mmmmmm....ice cream (can you get me any discounts if I don't make JET either?)

Quote Originally Posted by dbridges
    If you can deal with everyone thinking that they live on the greatest place on earth without ever having been somewhere else it's really nice.

And ice cream....mmmmmm....ice cream (can you get me any discounts if I don't make JET either?)
    Hey, I'm from West Virginia.. The oldtimers swear they're in God's Own Country as they die of emphasema. I've never heard such rave reviews of a polluted, exhausted bunch of mountians and rivers.

And I have no idea about discounts, but I do love me some Amy's!

West Va, huh? Kentucky here, but I'm way down at the other end. Trust me, though, those Texans are a breed apart.

Quote Originally Posted by dobharrison
    Why? Where is the city going?

Not entirely true, I have friends who live in downtown Hiroshima and manage to save. Depends on your lifestyle and how disciplined you are.
    Eh, but still, Hiroshima has far less attractions/places to spend transportation money on in its entire borders than just one neighborhood in Osaka or Tokyo, wouldn't you say?

But it still depends on your lifestyle and personal choices as to whether or not you can save anything.

Even in deepest darkest inaka with nothing to do you can still blow all your money every month. How? On travel.

It's so expensive to get anywhere in Japan. Living in inaka you're more likely to do lots of road trips to get to big cities and do cool things, hence no money at the end of the month.
    Give me my marker show me my line... surely this is it... the edge?

Quote Originally Posted by syojyou
    Eh, but still, Hiroshima has far less attractions/places to spend transportation money on in its entire borders than just one neighborhood in Osaka or Tokyo, wouldn't you say?
    Umm ... Miyajima Island, Sandankyo Gorge, Yamaguchi Prefecture, Okayama Prefecture (lots of things to see there), the San-In coast, etc. All within easy travelling distance, just waiting to gobble up your money!

And Hiroshima has great nightlife and restaurants, which is where most of my money goes. I am the garlic restaurant's best customer!

EDIT: Like Tash said, it all depends on your lifestyle and how frugal you are. I love travelling and seeing new places and I spend almost every evening in the city (Japanese classes, meeting people, etc) as it's so close.

My main goal is to get to Japan. It'd be great if it was on JET, but if not, I still think I'll go. At the moment, the other two companies I'm looking at are Interac and Aeon. Does anyone have any information/recommendations about these places? Would appreciate any comments or other suggestions.

Thanks

my backup plan is go and teach English in China..or go to Hong Kong and do graphic design for a year...
    then save up for a hoilday to Japan..
    i just wanna leave England for a bit..
    woohoo..can't wait til i finish uni..
    im a superbean..

my backup plan is go and teach English in China..or go to Hong Kong and do graphic design for a year...
    then save up for a hoilday to Japan..
    i just wanna leave England for a bit..
    woohoo..can't wait til i finish uni..
    OMG, these are pretty much the same as my back up plans.
    Im dying to get out of the uk for a while to live in Japan, and travel asia, but if Jet falls through ill definitely consider looking for architecture or design-related work abroad as an alternative (although much more diff to find work methinks).

I have family in HongKong so i have the possibility of starting off there if i try that route... but otherwise id love to revisit China

14 weeks til uni finishes..... GET IN

Pandilex

Interesting, when you say teach in china/hong-kong, is there a similar programme to JET there?

Quote Originally Posted by Pandilex
    Interesting, when you say teach in china/hong-kong, is there a similar programme to JET there?
    Theres certainly programmes similar to Nova there, one or two of them were at the careers fair at umist last year.
    "Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy." Isaac Newton