Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back up plans...

Dangermouse,
    haha I have family in HK too..thats why I wanna give it a go there..

Quote Originally Posted by Pandilex
    Interesting, when you say teach in china/hong-kong, is there a similar programme to JET there?
    theres teaching posts as British Council Language Assistants in different countries..China is one of them..think the deadline for applicants is March... :?
    unfortunately Hong Kong's not on the list..
    im a superbean..

Pandilex

Wow! If I don't get accepted into JET or after JET if I do, I might just consider applying to go to China afterwards! Have to do more research first though...

hehe....
    of course HongKong would be a fantastic place to work,
    but since the passover it has become increasingly difficult for whiteys from blighty to find work. I have family there but im 100% british, although many people there said i looked chinese?!? i thought it was all a wind up until pretty much every local was mentioning it GRR

Anyway, from what ive read up about, finding teaching jobs in china appear to be much easier to come by than in japan.... the demand is much higher, particularly if you are prepared to go to somewhere obscure in northern or western china. In some extreme cases you only need a british passport and to commit for a year .....lol.

Although it is important to remember the pay is usually significantly less!

Pandilex

Yeah, that site said around £150/month minimum, but they pay for accomodation and bills. Supposedly it's about the same for a teacher there! Jeez and they pay you thousands here just to TRAIN as a teacher!

Just trying to bump this topic up to try and get some more info on alternatives. In particular, I'm thinking about AEON or Interac as my alternatives to JET.

PLEASE anyone... what can you tell me about these, or other, programs?

THANK YOU!!!!!!

people who work for those companies smell of cheese, feel free to apply but you will have to face the fact that you will spend the rest of your life with a cheesy aroma
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

AEON is a typical language school, much like NOVA and GEOS. I've heard that AEON is the best of the three, but I have no first-hand experience. Expect long hours!

Interac offers a very similar experience to JET but with less pay. I think you get more choice over where you get placed, though. There are quite a few Interac people around Hiroshima and they seem happy enough (well, they weren't constantly crying, so that's a good sign, right?) However, I have heard some bad reports about Interac, that they're losing money and couldn't afford to pay some of their employees.

I suggest you do some more research on the internet, there are posts about both at www.eslcafe.com, but take anything you read with a pinch of salt.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

My ex-bf works at AEON. He said he didn't really have a say in his schedule, so his days off were on Sunday and Monday. Also, he worked A LOT, so (when we were together) I could hardly ever visit him, or when I did I had to figure out some way to distract myself while he was at work. AEON did treat him well, but I guess it's just not for him, as he is counting the days until the end of his contract.

It just depends though. I had another friend who liked AEON better than JET. She liked having more control over her lesson plans, and she liked that she could pick her placement.

I've heard NOVA stands for NO VAcation.

Quote Originally Posted by bitter5w33t
    My ex-bf works at AEON. He said he didn't really have a say in his schedule, so his days off were on Sunday and Monday. Also, he worked A LOT
    Really? So he had to work a lot more than the 12-9pm schedule they list on the website? What sort of hours did he tend to work? That's something I'm worried about with the eikaiwa option - I don't want work to be my life. Not that I'm going to bludge my way through, but I hope to have time to do other things too.