Thread: Classroom Set-up

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Default Classroom Set-up

Hey All!

Starting next week my school is putting in an English classroom. I need to do all the decorating / set-up. Can someone give me some advice? Other than putting some pictures, a map and the alphabet up, I can't think of what to do.
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

Banned

Make a display for each class, nothing too big, 2/3 sheets of a3 should do, with games and pictures and shit describing what the last thing you studied was about. You have to update it every week but you're a lazy jet so you have nothing better to do. The PTA and visiting teachers/boe people love that shit when they come for demo lessons

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Default Re: Classroom Set-up

Az...that is pretty genius.

Here're a couple of pics from one of my classrooms:

I made these from construction paper and pirated clip art. I printed out the text and pics and glued it all together. Took a day or two to get it done, but it looks good and the kids refer to this all the time. I need to change "Home Economics" to "Homemaking." When I was in school, we always called the class "Home Ec," and it might be more appropriate, but it completely baffles my JTE and students.

If you're interested, I think I saved all the clip art (except for Industrial Arts, which I traced from a clip art that had some stupid logo silkscreened over it).

Another pic:

The days of the week and months of the year are commercial posters I bought at a teachers' supply store in the US. The Obama pic is a puzzle I bought and brought back for the kids. They had a good time doing it; I'm gonna do a puzzle again this year. It's a nice activity to keep the kids occupied in between classes (read: not trying to grope me).

Next year's puzzle:

Some other pics of my classroom. Most of these posters came from that teachers' supply store in the US. You could probably make something quite similar, though:

I also bring a lot of things into my classroom. I have some "Texas"-themed baseballs (on accounta I'm from Texas), a football (a real football, yanno, not a soccer ball), and some manga in English:

I ordered the English manga from Amazon.jp and bought the Japanese versions at a Book-Off. I also have the first issue of Dragonball, but I haven't gotten the Japanese version of it yet. Incidentally, I was startled by Dragonball--I hadn't read a lot of manga before, so I was reading through Dragonball and was startled at how perverted it was. I've gotten through the first three chapters or so, and the lead female character has already wet herself, bathed with a 14-year-old boy, and flashed her 16-year-old twat at an old man (twice) in order to get something from him. You might want to read through materials that you're planning on bringing in and check with your JTE before doing so.

Also, label the trash cans in English (paper/plastic). Tag things around the room in English. Put up a foreign flag or two. I have some books and English magazines from the 'States.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Oh, also, I have a "Slang Corner," a section of bulletin board that I use to teach kids random slang that they wouldn't otherwise learn. I can't put a picture up on accounta I took it down for spring cleaning, but I'll change it once every few weeks or so. I'll just teach simple things like "What's up?" or "gonna" or something like that.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

That looks really good word. I would love that clip art...

PM me with an email address that can receive a ~5mb attachment and I'll email 'em to you.

Banned

if its a foreign languages room rather than an english room you could do a display on a different country every month, pics of landmarks, famous food etc, how to say hello, thank you and goodbye in that language etc

http://www.ryucom.ne.jp/users/jr6tpd/language.htm this will help

do some arab countires to promote world peace or some bullshit like that if you want extra brownie points
    Last edited by Azrael; March 29th, 2011 at 13:52.

That really is an awesome setup. Almost makes me wish I had a space like that to use to promote English.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I need to change "Home Economics" to "Homemaking." When I was in school, we always called the class "Home Ec," and it might be more appropriate, but it completely baffles my JTE and students.
    They are teaching it as “Home Economics” in Elementary schools, so might as well keep it and force the JTE and the kids to adapt. If they can’t give it a year or so and the new kids will come in and go “ah sou, ho-mu economikkusu"
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Yeah, I'm rather impressed with your set up too word!

If only my JTE would feel the same! Alas, I'm fairly certain she thinks I am the laziest, most mentally-deficient sack of crap ever to set foot in the classroom.

The Korean government is putting tons of Green and Blue screens in their English classrooms (not training anyone on their use and purpose but still interesting). You can use them for a lot of different activities. They are pretty easy to make, paint a wall blue and fiddle with the lighting a little so shadows don't reflect off the wall.
    Last edited by jwkelley; April 12th, 2011 at 02:41.

I assume that the use of a blue/green screen would require access to some semblance of modern technology. Since all the technology in my school seems to have been purchased through a time portal to 1985, it is unlikely that such a thing would do me much good. Definitely an interesting idea, though.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    If only my JTE would feel the same! Alas, I'm fairly certain she thinks I am the laziest, most mentally-deficient sack of crap ever to set foot in the classroom.
    Why do you think that? Just having that room is light years ahead of most ALTs, I think.

Or do you not do anything in class?

[edited]
    Last edited by word; May 9th, 2013 at 18:55.

Yeah, seems like she's just either not big on ALTs in general, or is a bitch. Most of my JTE's think anything I do beyond showing up for class is great. I guess I've yet to run into a JTE that is mean to the ALT, although there are a few of those types at my school (non-JTE's) that I would dread to have to work with.

totally LOL guys, word likes manga
    guys, im not playing anymore

<===Fat Weeaboo, duh.

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

I like your attention to detail with your name, word.

I'd like to do this kind of thing but we don't really have a room for English
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/