Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Medical Forms and IRS forms

Default 2011 Medical Forms and IRS forms

Hello guys. Since we have such a tight timeframe to turn our medical forms and irs forms in this year, I was wondering if anybody have the actual forms to post/attach here so that I can get started on it. Is the medical form that you have to turn in once you are shortlisted the same as the one on the official Jet Program website? What exactly is this IRS form and is there anything we need to do in preparation such as taxes?

Default Re: 2011 Medical Forms and IRS forms

It's not that short of a time. I have until May 6th and was notified this past Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Froren View Post
    It's not that short of a time. I have until May 6th and was notified this past Friday.
    Not helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by newegg View Post
    Hello guys. Since we have such a tight timeframe to turn our medical forms and irs forms in this year, I was wondering if anybody have the actual forms to post/attach here so that I can get started on it. Is the medical form that you have to turn in once you are shortlisted the same as the one on the official Jet Program website? What exactly is this IRS form and is there anything we need to do in preparation such as taxes?
    If it's the same as last year, the forms should have been included in the email they sent you notifying you of being shortlisted/wait listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthsauce View Post
    Not helpful.

If it's the same as last year, the forms should have been included in the email they sent you notifying you of being shortlisted/wait listed.
    I think some consulates are sending out a separate email with forms attached. That is what the Boston consulate is doing.

The IRS form is basically a piece of paper from the IRS saying you are American. Apparently it helps us "avoid Japanese income tax liability."
    Not sure what that means, but seems like it might save you a lot of money. So i would fill it out.

Here is the IRS form.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8802.pdf

Instructions

Instructions for Form 8802 (10/2009)

Edit:
    This is from the handbook.
    For U.S. JET participants (ALTs), in order to be exempt from paying Japanese tax, Form 6166 (issued by the
    IRS) certification of U.S. residency for the year before joining JET must be submitted together with the Tax
    Exemption Form. Please see the JET Programme website (www.jetprogramme.org/e/current/taxes.html) and the
    IRS website (www.irs.gov) for information on how to acquire Form 6166. The application for Form 6166 is
    called Form 8802. U.S. ALTs must make every effort to acquire Form 6166 before coming to Japan. The IRS
    charges a $35 user fee to apply for Form 6166, which will be borne by the JET participant applying for the form
    Last edited by jwkelley; April 18th, 2011 at 01:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthsauce View Post
    Not helpful.

Ugh, my point was: The timeframe was adjusted to give us a solid 3 weeks instead of the 10 days everyone thought it was going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by jwkelley View Post
    The IRS form is basically a piece of paper from the IRS saying you are American. Apparently it helps us "avoid Japanese income tax liability."
    Not sure what that means, but seems like it might save you a lot of money. So i would fill it out.

Here is the IRS form.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8802.pdf

Instructions

Instructions for Form 8802 (10/2009)

Edit:
    This is from the handbook.
    Thanks. This will help! I`m from one of the consulates that have not sent out notifications yet.

Quote Originally Posted by newegg View Post
    Thanks. This will help! I`m from one of the consulates that have not sent out notifications yet.
    ...then why are you asking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

If anyone has access to the health check form that they can post or link to, that would be appreciated for those of us who haven't received them from our embassies yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 3liter6 View Post
    If anyone has access to the health check form that they can post or link to, that would be appreciated for those of us who haven't received them from our embassies yet.
    That^^

I've got a fortnight exactly to get my medical forms all sorted and handed in, and only the next 3 days are open for me to get anything done, so running to school tomorrow to print off my health certificate form, and then running to the doctor's. Thankfully my doc's is a no-appointment, rock on up, deal, so hopefully there hasn't been a mass infection of flu/croatoan virus/zombie outbreak in the area tomorrow.
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan

URG GODDAMN DOUBLE POSTS
    Last edited by Cytrix; April 19th, 2011 at 00:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    I've got a fortnight exactly to get my medical forms all sorted and handed in, and only the next 3 days are open for me to get anything done, so running to school tomorrow to print off my health certificate form, and then running to the doctor's. Thankfully my doc's is a no-appointment, rock on up, deal, so hopefully there hasn't been a mass infection of flu/croatoan virus/zombie outbreak in the area tomorrow.
    And I though we had it bad with our May 6th deadline for submitting forms. I wonder if we can hand deliver our forms to the consulate....
    Remember kids, the Internet doesn't make you more stupid, it just makes your stupidity more accessible by others

"You've got to get mad! You've got to say, 'I'm a human being, God damn it! My life has value!'"

I just got shortlisted from seattle consulate at 10 PM. They are such hard workers! I`m impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by MCAS View Post
    And I though we had it bad with our May 6th deadline for submitting forms. I wonder if we can hand deliver our forms to the consulate....
    the Denver consulate said you can hand deliver them, so I assume that would apply to all others as well

Honolulu says you can hand-deliver as well.

Agh, Kaiser P. doesn't let you make appointments less than two weeks beforehand, so I'm requesting to get my physical on May 2. That is way closer to the due date than I'm comfortable with...

Are you guys being asked to do blood tests? Last year my Kiwi friend had to do one, but this year it isn't on the health certificate for me. Hmmm. Oh well...the less holes poked in me the better

I have two worries now.

I have not filed taxes this year because I worked abroad so i don't get anything back or pay anything anyhow. This might effect my ability to get the IRS forms above completed.

I am also currently in Korea so do not have a normal doctor who is familiar with my history. I am currently working my ass off to get my history abstract sent over so i can show them I am not a herpes infest dolphin who spews hepatitis everytime I sneeze.

That stinks, what are you doing in Korea anyways?
    Remember kids, the Internet doesn't make you more stupid, it just makes your stupidity more accessible by others

"You've got to get mad! You've got to say, 'I'm a human being, God damn it! My life has value!'"

Quote Originally Posted by MCAS View Post
    That stinks, what are you doing in Korea anyways?
    Working. I worked in Korea last year and my contract ended right around when I went for my interview. Faced with the choice of either living with my parents for 4 months till Japan or extending my contract with the school i work at, i choose to stay in korea for a few more months.