Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2011 Medical Forms and IRS forms

Mimi, I had a similar fear, and I called the consulate and asked them about it. I believe the year you write on those lines is the last year in which you payed taxes, so it is in fact supposed to be 2010. Even in the event that the JET people botched it up, we can always re-request and have them sent over to us by our parents/friends.

Hope this makes you feel better. I just want to get a damn contract I can sign in my hands so I can quit my job >.<

Quote Originally Posted by morningmimi View Post
    I just called the IRS to verify that they have received my fax. The man on the phone told me that if I'm leaving for Japan in August 2011 then I should of entered 2011 in line 2, 7 and 8. However, in the detailed JET instructions told me to enter 2010.

My consulate already made 2 mistakes by just sending last years instrusctions without updating the dates (looks like they just copied and pasted last years instructions).... so now I am worried.

Does this sound right to you guys?
    I'm pretty sure it's 2010 because the certification is based on the last year you filed.

BTW, while you should do *everything* you can to get that form 6166 before you leave, getting it after you get to Japan isn't impossible. I was upgraded fairly late and my coodinator was useless (took him 6 weeks to send me ANYTHING) so I didn't get my tax form figured out before I left, but after a couple calls from Japan and a couple international faxes, I did get it figured out. No need to panic, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by morningmimi View Post
    I just called the IRS to verify that they have received my fax. The man on the phone told me that if I'm leaving for Japan in August 2011 then I should of entered 2011 in line 2, 7 and 8. However, in the detailed JET instructions told me to enter 2010.

My consulate already made 2 mistakes by just sending last years instrusctions without updating the dates (looks like they just copied and pasted last years instructions).... so now I am worried.

Does this sound right to you guys?
    That's odd, I mean I'm through the Boston consulate so I got the same instructions as you, but I also read the IRS instructions and called and it seemed to me that we were to use 2010 because that is the tax return they would be using to verify our residency in the United States.
    Remember kids, the Internet doesn't make you more stupid, it just makes your stupidity more accessible by others

"You've got to get mad! You've got to say, 'I'm a human being, God damn it! My life has value!'"

Lost in a Strange Land lilyanphino's Avatar

My contact at the consul said that I was suppose to order 5 copies of the IRS form because I needed to turn in one to them, and then one to my supervisor in Japan. The instructions JET gave said only to order one to give to the supervisor guy. Is this right? What was everyone else told? I'm confused and worrying right now.

Yeah the Boston consulate got back to me and said it was 2010. So I'll go with it...

Quote Originally Posted by lilyanphino View Post
    My contact at the consul said that I was suppose to order 5 copies of the IRS form because I needed to turn in one to them, and then one to my supervisor in Japan. The instructions JET gave said only to order one to give to the supervisor guy. Is this right? What was everyone else told? I'm confused and worrying right now.
    In my instructions it said to order 2 but when I talked to someone at IRS today to see if they got my fax he said it's always a good idea to get at least 4...

Lost in a Strange Land lilyanphino's Avatar

Thanks. I'm waiting on the phone with the IRS now hoping to get it corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyanphino View Post
    Maybe your consulate wants it for their records (or asks for a copy as a tactic to get people to get it done faster) but the only person who really needs it is your supervisor in Japan.

You can get up to 20 for the $35 fee, so might as well get a few.
    Last edited by Ladama; May 4th, 2011 at 06:17. Reason: bad grammar

Default Re: 2011 Medical Forms and IRS forms

Copy/pasted from Denver JET wiki:

After receiving the 5 original certifications (Form 6166) from the IRS, send one to the Consulate. Leave one with a family member in the US and bring the remaining 3 original certificates with you to Japan. Give one to your CO and keep 2 extras for yourself.
    That's the best thing I ever saw!

I am slightly worried about that, because i worked in Korea the last 2 years I have not made any income at home. Technically i did not have to pay any taxes for foreign income made under 91k. I am wondering if this will effect the form.

Quote Originally Posted by jwkelley View Post
    I am slightly worried about that, because i worked in Korea the last 2 years I have not made any income at home. Technically i did not have to pay any taxes for foreign income made under 91k. I am wondering if this will effect the form.
    When's the last time you submitted a U.S. Income Tax Return?
    Remember kids, the Internet doesn't make you more stupid, it just makes your stupidity more accessible by others

"You've got to get mad! You've got to say, 'I'm a human being, God damn it! My life has value!'"

Quote Originally Posted by MCAS View Post
    When's the last time you submitted a U.S. Income Tax Return?
    I file them every year. However I do not pay high Korea taxes either. This is a loop whole in the treaty between US and south korea. For the first 2 years taxes on both sides are non existent almost. So the government could easily tell me I did not pay US taxes for 2010 and am not eligible for the form.

Quote Originally Posted by jwkelley View Post
    I file them every year. However I do not pay high Korea taxes either. This is a loop whole in the treaty between US and south korea. For the first 2 years taxes on both sides are non existent almost. So the government could easily tell me I did not pay US taxes for 2010 and am not eligible for the form.
    You should be fine. They just need a tax return on file from the year you are requesting verification to prove that you are indeed a U.S. citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    Also, called the sheriff's today. Apparently, I know over at official there were complaints that they had to bring their own cards in, but the sheriff's office claimed that there are two different background checks you can get fingerprinted for, and for the one that we get, they can actually provide cards for us. The other one they're not supposed to, which I think is what they were bitching about over on official.
    Honestly, it seems like every fingerprinting organization has a different opinion of how it's supposed to work. It's causing me a major headache at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But sometimes ALT-sensei use hashi. I think is very subarashii. Maybe it is not real for my eyes. I must ask him if hashi is ok to use. ... So I am still very confused about hashi. I will ask again in the future everyday.

My dad is an IRS agent and he went over the form with me. If you filed last year then go ahead and say yes for question 5 on the form, and then check which kind of return form you filed last year (990, 1040, etc).

If you've never filed or haven't filed in quite some time, these are the steps you have to take: I've never filed a return because I either never made enough money to file, or I was claimed as a dependent. So for me and anyone like me, you would put "No" for question 5, and check "Other" with "Return due 4/15/2012" as the reason.

Then fill out question 6 with your parent's info, if applicable.

For line 7 and 8 you put the current calendar year, 2011 and 201112 respectively.

After that's all said an done, you must include a penalties of perjury statement since you said "No" to question 5.

The IRS office is correct in telling you to put 2011 down since that is the calendar year you will be taxed on, you just haven't filed it yet since the year is ongoing. Then again 2010 or whatever other year is also correct, but ONLY if you filed for a return in that year.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpman85 View Post
    My dad is an IRS agent and he went over the form with me. If you filed last year then go ahead and say yes for question 5 on the form, and then check which kind of return form you filed last year (990, 1040, etc).

If you've never filed or haven't filed in quite some time, these are the steps you have to take: I've never filed a return because I either never made enough money to file, or I was claimed as a dependent. So for me and anyone like me, you would put "No" for question 5, and check "Other" with "Return due 4/15/2012" as the reason.

Then fill out question 6 with your parent's info, if applicable.

For line 7 and 8 you put the current calendar year, 2011 and 201112 respectively.

After that's all said an done, you must include a penalties of perjury statement since you said "No" to question 5.

The IRS office is correct in telling you to put 2011 down since that is the calendar year you will be taxed on, you just haven't filed it yet since the year is ongoing. Then again 2010 or whatever other year is also correct, but ONLY if you filed for a return in that year.
    From what i understand, Japan taxes based on the previous years salary. So the US might be taxing people for 2012, Japan is for 2011 the same year.