Thread: Nursing School

Default Nursing School

Does anybody else here teach at a Nursing School? I've got a 3rd Year Nursing School English Class again, and I would like to make this year more exciting than previous "learning years."

The class is mostly vocabulary-based, and includes such topics as "Meeting the Patient," "Postoperative Care" and parts of the body/organs/bone names. In the past, I brought a skeleton from the closet and had them stick labels in the appropriate places. That went over pretty well, but i already did that this year. I need new tricks.

Any nursing school pro-tips for great gain?

Default Re: Nursing School

I don't teach nursing school so I don't know how much help I'll be. When we did body parts in one of my JHS classes I brought in a roll of toilet paper to use as bandages. I had the JTE sit up front as the patient and students would come up, ask him where he hurt and then "bandage" the appropriate area.

Also, when I've got a lot of vocab to get through I try to make it a bit more fun by putting it into word searches, crossword puzzles and board games.

Shmis, thank you for the suggestion. The mummy game is a pillar of elementary and junior high education, but never have I considered using it in a collegiate setting. Last year I made them pop balloons with vocabulary words written on them, and after a little coaxing they took to it like babies to bottles. I don't see why the new 3rd Years wouldn't love this.

Any other ideas are more than welcome.

i dunno, i think it's natural to try to want to get all creative, but why not just simply teach them the vocab and have them act out patient/nurse situations in english? what they need to do is practice how to deal with the patients in english right? you are there and can act like a clueless foreigner in pain and they can practice listening and speaking in situations they might face at work in the future. playing games is probably more interesting but at some point you need to just get down to business.

Patjs, thank you for the advice.

There is a lot of nuts and bolts learning in the class already. The general class flow starts with us discussing a conversation between a nurse and a patient, going over new vocabulary, pronunciation practice, trying the dialogue out different ways (i.e., first i read it twice, they listen, then they try it in pairs, and then we do a reading as a class), asking questions for comprehension, and then we break into small groups to do some exercises designed to get them using the target vocabulary in a myriad of different ways. we have to cover 4 units in 3 hours in order to stay on schedule.

all of this is good for learning, but i would also like to keep them engaged in English, and was wondering if anyone had taught in this type of setting before. Not so much game advice, as I was thinking along the lines of actual teaching advice; ways to make your teaching style more engaging. something like incorporating appropriate clips from Scrubs or other hospital dramas that seem to be all the rage these days.

any and all thoughts and ideas are appreciated.
    Last edited by jandek; April 22nd, 2011 at 10:25.

404, there is no internet in the classroom, but there is a large projector. There is also a metal desk and a sink with medium-sized mirror above the washbasin.

Also, I looked at all the websites already, and got little out them, thank you though. Perhaps you know a good website where i can purchase portable photo scanners?