Thread: UK Kids tv programmes to show at JHS?

Default UK Kids tv programmes to show at JHS?

I have an elective class on Thursday for the first time and the teacher wants me to bring some British kids tv from the 80s or 90s to show the kids lasting around 30 mins. No activity as such but preferably the English shouldn't be too difficult. Considering they are 3-nensei, what do you reckon?

I have a few ideas - Wombles, Postman Pat, Trumpton, Camberwick Green, and Wallace and Gromit.

Any others?

Default Re: UK Kids tv programmes to show at JHS?

Bagpuss? It's '70s rather than '80s but it's a very simple format and they may engage with the cute animal mascot aspect of it. It may be a bit too childish for 3-nensei though.

How about Dangermouse, Count Duckula or Telebugs? Willo The Wisp might be good too, although the episodes are only about 5 minutes each.
    "Time is a slippery bitch and needs to be tied down every so often so you can give it a good rogering."

Count Duckula was a British show? Holy shit, I never knew that!

Mr Benn. Best show ever.
    Thomas the Tank is also cool, you can also say 'thats the dude from the Beatles' to the adults.
    And Fireman Sam. In the original Welsh. Just to make them all get really down about how bad they think their English is.
    Well. Maybe not the last one.
    Last edited by Tyr; April 25th, 2011 at 22:39.

Quote Originally Posted by MixedNuts View Post
    Count Duckula was a British show? Holy shit, I never knew that!
    Yep! It was a spin-off from Dangermouse, in fact.
    "Time is a slippery bitch and needs to be tied down every so often so you can give it a good rogering."

Wallace and Gromit is heavy on accents and has a lot of it's own expressions etc that may be confusing. Maybe something wacky like the Clangers or the Magic Roundabout (technically French - but they won't know that). At least that way if they're a big lost they can chuckle at the madness of it all.

The problem with the Clangers is that it's all slide whistles.

It's narrated slide whistling though, could be ideal in the sense that the narration is brief and simple. So the kids can use the gaps between narration to process the last narration and hopefully follow along.

EDIT: Plus if the kids are to have any hope of making it in modern British society they'll need to know hot to speak clanger.
    Last edited by Jordan; April 26th, 2011 at 00:43.

True enough, I'd forgotten about the narration.

Apparently The Clangers is very good for non-English speakers because all the slide-whistling communication is tonal. I remember Peter Firmin giving an interview on TV where he said he and Oliver Postgate had shown some of The Clangers to a group of Germans, who then went on to say that they were "speaking perfect German".

There's a similar problem to Bagpuss though in the sense that it might be a touch too juvenile for 3-nensei students. That's, what? Mid-teens? Older?

I prefer this:

::Link is broken::

Demon headmaster

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

Mr benn is a good one as it has a strong visual storyline. How about superted?

On the cbeebies show About the monsters who live in the library (I think it's called story makers) there's a nice segment about a cow who doesn't like to be like the other cows and takes a bus to the town to hae adventures. That also has a nice visual storyline that the kids would understand. But it's not very long.

You could always try bill and ben (the OLD version!!!) flobber wobber weeee!
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

What about Peppa Pig? It's not 80s or 90s, and it might be too simple, but it's also pretty funny.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned rainbow?

Too much trauma.

Quote Originally Posted by ManOverboard1986 View Post
    Why hasn't anyone mentioned rainbow?
    The christmas tape episode. It'll go right over their heads. Which is awesome.

Come on, it should be obvious! Transformers all the way!

On a serious note, not sure how they'll handle the accents in Wallace and Gromit but entertainment wise, I think they'll enjoy it. I think they're already familiar with it because when I went to the Ghibli museum they had a corridor dedicated to Wallace and Gromit and maybe a some other stuff by Aardan Animations.

Some good ideas. Thanks very much for your help. Went for A Grand Day Out with Wallace and Gromit as there is little dialogue but lots of visual gags. Mr Benn is the next one I am hoping to show. Bagpuss might be a good one to show. Count Duckula too difficult? Would love to show Magic Roundabout, Captain Pugwash and the infamous Rainbow episode just for my own giggles.