Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 92

Thread: Interac, Inaka and I

  1. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LostInTranslation View Post
    Well, like I said I would take a semi-rural placement if civilization was within a reasonable commuting distance. But as someone that has always lived in cities and is used to a certain lifestyle, I don't feel comfortable being put totally out of my element. Living as a stranger in a strange land is one thing. Living where you're one of ten people that speaks fluent English, stuck on an island or otherwise unable to traverse the nation's transportation system, living without AC or with insect problems and having no way out if things go really badly is another.
    Translation #1: "I want to live in a foreign country in exactly the same manner as I do in my home country!!1!1!!1"

    Call it narrow minded if you will, but I prefer to maintain a certain degree of agency within my life. Although being called narrow-minded by pseudo-racists and people that seemingly believe JET employees are of a higher place than other English teachers is something I find beautifully ironic.
    Translation #2: wanting to maintain agency = "I'm a pussy afraid of new challenges/life experiences". I taught at a school with 37 students total, 22km from the nearest convenience store and 25km from the nearest ALT/English speaker. Rather than sit around, asking "WHERE'S MY AGENCY IN LIFE?" all pussy-like, I picked up some new hobbies, volunteered with the school tennis team, traveled around and made some new friends.

    It's odd that you claim to want agency, but apparently not responsibility, in that you seem to want a ready-made existence to be waiting for you in Japan.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

  2. #62
    VIP UPGRAYEDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    4,158

    Default Re: Interac, Inaka and I

    The inaka sucks. I don't blame him.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

  3. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ten_of_spades View Post
    Translation #1: "I want to live in a foreign country in exactly the same manner as I do in my home country!!1!1!!1"



    Translation #2: wanting to maintain agency = "I'm a pussy afraid of new challenges/life experiences". I taught at a school with 37 students total, 22km from the nearest convenience store and 25km from the nearest ALT/English speaker. Rather than sit around, asking "WHERE'S MY AGENCY IN LIFE?" all pussy-like, I picked up some new hobbies, volunteered with the school tennis team, traveled around and made some new friends.

    It's odd that you claim to want agency, but apparently not responsibility, in that you seem to want a ready-made existence to be waiting for you in Japan.
    As I and others have said, the guy might not be cut out for the JET program/ ALT life in Japan which (surprsise surprise! maybe that process isn't so random after all!!!) the review panel obviously noticed which is why he was rejected without an interview multiple times.

    Like I said, find a different job or a study abroad program or something that can help you get here and do whatever it is you want to do. Just be careful as having the "I want to move to Japan but have everyone understand English so I can be comfortable and not out of my element oo much" attitude is just going to set you up for an early ticket home/ depression.

  4. #64
    Senior Member Tyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    1,553

    Default Re: Interac, Inaka and I

    Translation #1: "I want to live in a foreign country in exactly the same manner as I do in my home country!!1!1!!1"
    Yeah...I mean air conditioning?
    Come to Europe even and you won't find that.

  5. #65
    Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mie
    Posts
    7,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Then I can say that most certainly you have words that when you say them most people would say, "what the fuck was that?"
    Like I said, I change my English to American so no one would say "what the fuck was that". Although, I do still find new differences. Whinge/whine, for example.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyr View Post

    Glaswegians are the last people who should talk on weird English
    I love the Glaswegian accent. I think it's the sexiest thing ever. No joke.

    Quote Originally Posted by LostInTranslation View Post

    Call it narrow minded if you will, but I prefer to maintain a certain degree of agency within my life. Although being called narrow-minded by pseudo-racists and people that seemingly believe JET employees are of a higher place than other English teachers is something I find beautifully ironic.
    Oh lol. I'm not saying JETs are better people. I know some damned awful JETs, and I have never yet met an awful company ALT (except for this one guy who was sleeping with his sup... but he was a really nice person otherwise...). I'm saying that companies, including Interac, go for people without fluent English and that effects the way the group is seen in general by some people. You pay less, you attract people who are ok with being paid less.

    Quote Originally Posted by LostInTranslation View Post
    Acting like it's anything more trivial than that and dumb luck is wishful thinking on the part of would-be JET elitists.
    Said like a true JET rejectee.

    Look, I know moving to a new country and experiencing a new culture is scary. Some people have never left their own countries before.. and you have never lived in anything but cities before. So I can totally understand how something like being placed in a remote place would be scary. If you want to do something like this then maybe taking baby steps like going to an eikaiwa for a year or so then working your way to a better job *would* be the better answer. But seriously, don't pass by awesome opportunities to grow as a person and learn so much more in a culture just because it's different to what you're useful. You can drive, and traveling Japan isn't completely impossible. So don't just cross it off, ok.
    Last edited by Miss_igirisu; May 16th, 2011 at 08:13. Reason: purasu arufa-
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

  6. #66
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    13,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    Like I said, I change my English to American so no one would say "what the fuck was that". Although, I do still find new differences. Whinge/whine, for example.
    I know quite a few Americans who would say "What the fuck is whinge?" You're not helping yourself out. Just admit that you believe Filipinos are inferior to you. I can respect that more than these ridiculous lies you're coming up to defend your postion.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

    RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

  7. #67
    Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mie
    Posts
    7,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I know quite a few Americans who would say "What the fuck is whinge?" You're not helping yourself out. Just admit that you believe Filipinos are inferior to you. I can respect that more than these ridiculous lies you're coming up to defend your postion.
    I said it as an example of how I do still find differences but when I do I try to use the American ones. This came out with American friends though, not at school.

    I don't at all and it shows you're not Reading what I'm saying. A few of my Filipino friends have awesome English and are fluent. But there are still a few who are not, I'm my opinion, good enough. That is not racism at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    364

    Default

    I have teaching experience and two college degrees and I've studied Japanese for three years. I've been to Japan before and lived elsewhere. So Im pretty sure JET was pissed I didn't send in a medical form and that I used staples instead of paper clips.

    I don't feel at all inferior for not getting on with JET. I make more money here in any case, I'm moving to Japan to see Japan and practice Japanese so I might have to man up and take an inaka placement if I get one.

    I suspect if I applied to JET a third time I would probably at least get an interview if I followed the directions this time.

  9. #69
    VIP UPGRAYEDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    4,158

    Default Re: Interac, Inaka and I

    Don't go to the inaka to learn Japanese. It's best to go to a bigger city to do that.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

  10. #70
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    13,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    I don't at all and it shows you're not Reading what I'm saying. A few of my Filipino friends have awesome English and are fluent. But there are still a few who are not, I'm my opinion, good enough. That is not racism at all.
    So as long as a Filipino doesn't sound like a Filipino, that's fine. But if they dare to speak English differently than you, they're unfit to teach English.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

    RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

  11. #71
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    13,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LostInTranslation View Post
    I have teaching experience and two college degrees and I've studied Japanese for three years. I've been to Japan before and lived elsewhere. So Im pretty sure JET was pissed I didn't send in a medical form and that I used staples instead of paper clips.

    I don't feel at all inferior for not getting on with JET. I make more money here in any case, I'm moving to Japan to see Japan and practice Japanese so I might have to man up and take an inaka placement if I get one.

    I suspect if I applied to JET a third time I would probably at least get an interview if I followed the directions this time.

    The more you talk, the more convinced I become you're a douche.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

    RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

  12. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LostInTranslation View Post
    I have teaching experience and two college degrees and I've studied Japanese for three years. I've been to Japan before and lived elsewhere. So Im pretty sure JET was pissed I didn't send in a medical form and that I used staples instead of paper clips.

    I don't feel at all inferior for not getting on with JET. I make more money here in any case, I'm moving to Japan to see Japan and practice Japanese so I might have to man up and take an inaka placement if I get one.

    I suspect if I applied to JET a third time I would probably at least get an interview if I followed the directions this time.
    ....the directions are pretty basic. If you can't get your paperwork all in that's just silly.

    Nice trolling though. Well done. Little lady would love to reward you with classy nudes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  13. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    So as long as a Filipino doesn't sound like a Filipino, that's fine. But if they dare to speak English differently than you, they're unfit to teach English.
    I think the issue is more related to the alt role in providing students with a native english speaker. A Filopino as a normal english teacher is not a problem, but it is a problem if they hired in a role that is suppose to get the children accustom to a native speaker. Might as well then hire Germans, Norwegians, or Indians for the role.

  14. #74
    Pony. Truthsauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bro-hoku
    Posts
    5,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LostInTranslation View Post
    I have teaching experience and two college degrees and I've studied Japanese for three years. I've been to Japan before and lived elsewhere. So Im pretty sure JET was pissed I didn't send in a medical form and that I used staples instead of paper clips.

    I don't feel at all inferior for not getting on with JET. I make more money here in any case, I'm moving to Japan to see Japan and practice Japanese so I might have to man up and take an inaka placement if I get one.

    I suspect if I applied to JET a third time I would probably at least get an interview if I followed the directions this time.
    Maybe it was your iffy attitude and unwillingness to get sent to the inaka and live without air-conditioning.

    Also, you got invited to a seminar. Stop the presses. You may as well just join AMWAY.

  15. #75
    magic markers Gezora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GANG
    Posts
    22,839

    Default Re: Interac, Inaka and I

    I was unable to purchase air conditioning in my inaka. I started cutting squares out of my paper windows, but then the landlord got mad at me. Finally I went out and bought some washi paper, some thread, and popsicle sticks. Now the mukade are working for me, in my whimsical mukade-powered fan contraption.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

  16. #76
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    13,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwkelley View Post
    I think the issue is more related to the alt role in providing students with a native english speaker. A Filopino as a normal english teacher is not a problem, but it is a problem if they hired in a role that is suppose to get the children accustom to a native speaker. Might as well then hire Germans, Norwegians, or Indians for the role.
    This is flawed for so many reasons... Here's a few of them.

    A) ALTs are more about internationalization than "native speaker." If they just wanted to listen to a native speaker CDs and DVDs would be a lot cheaper.

    B) Many non-native speakers learned from a young enough age that they can speak as fluently as any native speaker- but usually their grammar knowledge is better that a native speaker so the argument could be made that they would make a better ALT than a native speaker.

    C) Many Filipinos grow up speaking English from an early age and for all intents and purposes are native English speakers who grew up bilingual.

    D) I know of many native speaker ALTs here who I would much rather have a German, Norwegian, or Indian teaching children.

    E) etc.. etc..
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

    RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

  17. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    This is flawed for so many reasons... Here's a few of them.

    A) ALTs are more about internationalization than "native speaker." If they just wanted to listen to a native speaker CDs and DVDs would be a lot cheaper.

    B) Many non-native speakers learned from a young enough age that they can speak as fluently as any native speaker- but usually their grammar knowledge is better that a native speaker so the argument could be made that they would make a better ALT than a native speaker.

    C) Many Filipinos grow up speaking English from an early age and for all intents and purposes are native English speakers who grew up bilingual.

    D) I know of many native speaker ALTs here who I would much rather have a German, Norwegian, or Indian teaching children.

    E) etc.. etc..
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  18. #78
    Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mie
    Posts
    7,017

    Default

    I get what you're saying mothy and I do agree to a certain extent. I'm not saying that people who speak differently to me are wrong or whatever. But take my example, with the scissors. If the kids go and continue to think that scissors is said as see-saws then that's not good. It's not like something that is drastically at fault but scissors are not see-saws. I'm not saying that they should be purged.. My friend who says see-saws is a really good alt in every oter way. I just think that there should be more things done to make sure things like this happen- like on jet when British people are told to spell in the American way. There are loads of non-native alts who are awesome, and who all speak great English. And it's not like I'm against Filipino alts, I also think the same of another new alt from Jamaica who has a super thick accent, who I cannot understand for the life of me. I would say the same with anyone with a super thick accent that is impossible to understand. (you're going to turn that around and call me racist too, no doubt).

    I do get what you're saying and I hope that you do at least understand a bit of what I'm trying to say. I'm never going to win an argument with you mothy, you are just far too good at arguing and I'm a bumbling idiot so I'm going to leave it like this.

    Ps i love the Amway reference <3
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

  19. #79
    Pony. Truthsauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bro-hoku
    Posts
    5,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    I was unable to purchase air conditioning in my inaka. I started cutting squares out of my paper windows, but then the landlord got mad at me. Finally I went out and bought some washi paper, some thread, and popsicle sticks. Now the mukade are working for me, in my whimsical mukade-powered fan contraption.
    This has given me an idea for a th.

  20. #80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    I get what you're saying mothy and I do agree to a certain extent. I'm not saying that people who speak differently to me are wrong or whatever. But take my example, with the scissors. If the kids go and continue to think that scissors is said as see-saws then that's not good. It's not like something that is drastically at fault but scissors are not see-saws. I'm not saying that they should be purged.. My friend who says see-saws is a really good alt in every oter way. I just think that there should be more things done to make sure things like this happen- like on jet when British people are told to spell in the American way. There are loads of non-native alts who are awesome, and who all speak great English. And it's not like I'm against Filipino alts, I also think the same of another new alt from Jamaica who has a super thick accent, who I cannot understand for the life of me. I would say the same with anyone with a super thick accent that is impossible to understand. (you're going to turn that around and call me racist too, no doubt).

    I do get what you're saying and I hope that you do at least understand a bit of what I'm trying to say. I'm never going to win an argument with you mothy, you are just far too good at arguing and I'm a bumbling idiot so I'm going to leave it like this.

    Ps i love the Amway reference <3
    I would just like to note that that I talk to plenty of Brits every day, and there are a good many that enunciate very poorly and have thick accents. Plenty of 'mericans with the same issue.

    Also, wtf is up with 'cheers' and 'ta'?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •