Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Critique of predeparture study

Default Re: Critique of predeparture study

Seems like a bit too much for a total beginner. Like others said focus on getting hiragana and katakana down pat, and use genki or another introductory textbook and just stick with one until you get the grammar basics down.

I made the mistake of buying a ton of books when I first got to Japan and realized that I only used one of them.

At some point you will probably be able to get off the books and just stick to memorizing kanji and vocab while practicing reading books/manga or whatever.

Good luck and remember that Japanese will seem tough at first but once you "break through" you'll progress quickly especially if you live here (then you'll probably hit your plateau between jlpt 2 and 1 level but that's a ways away)

Your predecessor may also have a ton of Japanese language books lying around the apartment that might get passed on to you, so I'd wait and see what you get before investing more money in books. My pred left tons of listening audio CDs and a couple of travel Japanese books and Japanese-English dictionaries. He also left a kanji guide that AJET was selling at Tokyo Orientation, so I'm glad I didn't buy it or else I'd have wasted my money to have 2 copies.
    Last edited by MixedNuts; May 18th, 2011 at 04:38.

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

Don't bother trying to tell this person not to spend all their money on stuff they don't need, even though they asked for advice they haven't taken a single bit of it on board and are continuing with whatever routine they were doing prior to starting this post.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

If you really do find having a physical textbook telling you precisely what to do more comforting, try hitting up Half Price Books (or whatever your local equivalent is). I've been able to get several good books for cheap there.
    If you really wanna get some Japanese textbooks, try browsing here (download the Rikaichan plugin for Firefox to help you):
    オンライン書店ビーケーワン
    ^^ That's the "Japanese study books for foreigners" section of the site. Try to cross reference some of the titles with amazon and see what looks good to you. Many of the books are cheap, and will keep you far away from romanji. Also, you can get these books in Japan after you move there, cut down on shipping. Really, since what you need to know ahead of time is the kana and some basic phrases that you can learn online/in Japanese for JETs/at orientations, it might be your better bet to save buying massive amounts of textbooks till you get to Japan anyway. Cuts down on your shipping costs and space in your luggage.
    I also notice your plan seems to lack conversation/trying to say these phrases outloud. Since that's what you need to do the most (I hear we have to give some small selfintroduction speeches and the like), I'd find a way to work on that, at least to get better intonation.
    However, I'm gonna go with the end all, be all of Japanese-learning advice: keep it fun! Even a genuine freak like me who likes general Japanese study can get bored with just memorization and lessons. Find a kids manga you enjoy and try downloading some of that to read, or find some Japanese coloring books, or find some Japanese kids shows to download (I fully recommend ピタゴラスイッチ<Pitagora Suicchi>, as it is one of the greatest shows ever and available for download on Datte Bayo and some other places. And no, I don't feel bad as a 22 year old admitting I love a show for 4 year olds :P ). Bottom line, find things that are more interesting, and in some cases use more genuine Japanese than some textbooks.
    Last edited by kawaiijutsu; May 18th, 2011 at 09:37. Reason: added something

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    Don't bother trying to tell this person not to spend all their money on stuff they don't need, even though they asked for advice they haven't taken a single bit of it on board and are continuing with whatever routine they were doing prior to starting this post.
    I am continuing with routine for the most part. But I have started using the Kana website suggested and will likely use japanese 101 instead of purchasing Michel Thomas when i get to that stage (and when my thick skull figures the website out).

I have suffered in the past with jumping from suggestion to suggestion without staying at something consistently. I am already 35 lessons into pimsluer so want to finish with that before i move to rocket.
    Last edited by jwkelley; May 19th, 2011 at 02:44.

Is Pimsleur really that good of a program? Someone else recommended it to me but I don't really get the concept.

Its good for memorization and retention, but not worth the 500 bucks it would cost.

No one pays for pimsleur silly.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

I agree with getting the Genki series and the workbooks first. That's really all you need and beyond for basic reading/writing/speaking ability. Also, you can photocopy the pictures for lesson plans.