Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaba questions

Default Gaba questions

Does anyone work for GABA or know someone that does? Have the opportunity to get to Tokyo or Osaka through them. Do they help you find clients or is it up to you to book your own? How does it compare to to private ALT places like Interac? How does it compare to other eikaiwa?
    Last edited by LostInTranslation; May 16th, 2011 at 23:08.

My friend does gaga he does not like it or hate it. He likes the fact he controls his time tables, but if you cannot pull in the students you do not get paid.

http://www.gaijingamers.com/archive/...hp/t-1355.html
    Last edited by jwkelley; May 17th, 2011 at 00:53.

Thanks for the link. The detractors of these places seem to be mostly whining about the hours or "you have to teach to get paid". In what professional exactly can one do absolutely nothing and get paid for it (outside government)?

My primary concern isn't with working conditions, but rather how good are the is the eikaiwa market condition in Tokyo and Osaka? Is it extremely competitive to pull and keep students? Are there enough clients to go around and how does gaba stack up to its competitors?
    Last edited by LostInTranslation; May 17th, 2011 at 01:58.

Default Re: Gaba questions

I remember before JET (ie. about two years ago) I was offered a place with Gaba so my wife did a quick search of Japanese message boards. The impression she got from the customers was that Gaba teachers spend most of their time putting pressure on their students to take out more lessons and trying to sell more services to them.

So I don't think it's right to characterise detractors of Gaba as whining about hours or having to teach; it's probably more accurate to describe it as whining about signing up to teach English and finding that you have to spend most of your time and effort in trying to secure new students and classes so that you can earn a decent living.

I've heard that some of Gaba's competitors in the eikaiwa market also put pressure on instructors to sell services and lessons to existing students, but as far as I'm aware, it's only Gaba where the instructor's financial compensation is directly tied to this (essentially extra-curricular) sales activity.

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

What they mean by having to teach to get paid is that you are basically on commission- you get paid per lesson not just as a set thing per month. a good friend of mine works there part time (it is difficult to work there full time unless you've been there years and hbe built up a good student list) and says that it's difficult but they treat their staff well and you don't have to sell stuff to the students, only your lessons.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

sounds ghastly.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

It's akin to working at a host/hostess club, except instead of sleeping with customers you have to speak English to them.
    Nowhere near as exciting if you ask me.
    I've heard they treat you marginally better than Aeon and Nova (LOL)
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

I suspect the pay is worse than a hostess club too.

But you'd get to be in JAPAN! Green tea and onsen! Rainbows out the butt!
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

In large cities there are big company eikaiwas and mom-and-pop eikaiwas everywhere. There are also lots of foreigners who are willing to work for less. People who go to eikaiwas for lessons aren't necessarily interested in really "learning" the language; for some of them it's just a hobby or a way to meet people. So if they feel that they aren't getting what they want (which happens sometimes even if you actually try to do your job and "make" them learn English) they can always stop attending your lessons when the ones they paid for are all up and switch to one of the other 100 English schools or instructors there are out there.

Not only do you have to provide your way over to Japan, provide for yourself while you get set up, but you also have to provide all of your own students? And GABA takes a large portion of the cut?

Uhh.

Their website and recruiters say they give you a schedule. I don't think you're tasked with finding your own students, or at least their website doesn't advertise that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by LostInTranslation View Post
    Their website and recruiters say they give you a schedule. I don't think you're tasked with finding your own students, or at least their website doesn't advertise that fact.
    I wonder why that would be...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Are you saying recruitment propaganda is lying to me? The nice advertisement with the dashing young man of an indiscernible race clearly states I will be making 34 δΈ‡ a month after taxes.

Lol, if you advertised that you'd finger all your students for free each time they booked a lesson with you.

Gaba is good as a side thing if you are already in Japan and need some spare cash on the side. Otherwise it's probably not worth bothering with.

I don't think you have to find you own, but it's a good idea to keep the students you do get happy so they keep booking with you. If you're shit they'll just request another teacher and you'll have an open slot and won't get paid.

That's my understanding of the system anway.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Well I have tutoring and some volunteer teaching experience, so I think I'd suck slightly less than the average flunkie that is right off the boat. Although fingering is probably out of the question, as I am mostly asexual.
    Last edited by LostInTranslation; May 27th, 2011 at 13:32.

Your students- or the people you want to be your students- don't care about your experience and qualifications. All they want is garry gaijin who fits their mental stereotype of what a gaijin looks like, to sit and chat with them for an hour.

[Obelix]
    These Japanese are crazy
    [/Obelix]

Sounds like a bad job does this;

Well I like sitting and talking with people, and I definitely look like a typical aryan gaijin. Maybe I will be alright at my eikaiwa job (:

Do people cringe or grimmace when they look at you?