Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Incoming Hokkaido JETs

Default Re: Incoming Hokkaido JETs

When I was applying for JET, I just assumed small-town Hokkaido was the most typical of JET placements. Granted, my roommate from college did it a few years ago and he got a small Hokkaido town up north called Engaru, so that probably influenced my thinking.

Teishou, your pred enjoyed Shiriuchi enough to stay for several years, so that says something. And we have a good community of ALTs here in the southwest if you want people to hang out with.

Hey, it's nice to know you're right in the town over, so I can sporadically bug you when I'm bored...and have enough energy to bike a town over. lol
    いいみで

Quote Originally Posted by cranguy View Post
    When I was applying for JET, I just assumed small-town Hokkaido was the most typical of JET placements. Granted, my roommate from college did it a few years ago and he got a small Hokkaido town up north called Engaru, so that probably influenced my thinking.

Teishou, your pred enjoyed Shiriuchi enough to stay for several years, so that says something. And we have a good community of ALTs here in the southwest if you want people to hang out with.
    Hmm I wonder why they described Engaru as a small town. I actually live near there.
    I use their train station even though there's one in Kitami that's technically closer (by like 20 minutes). Just like how the Teishou's pred doesn't use his town's. The difference for me is price, parking and time actually on the train more than makes up for the driving time.

The Southwest is actually where a lot of my friends live, they seem to have a really friendly community down there.

Yeah Engaru looks like Tokyo compared to most Hokkaido placements. And if you're anywhere on the west side of the island you have nothing to complain about. It's faster and cheaper for many of us to fly to Tokyo than drive to Sapporo, and that's probably the only way for me to experience over 12 degree weather all year. Stop being a bitch.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Hey! My BOE just contacted me - turns out I'm going to be teaching for the Ishikari District Office in Hokkaido! So great to finally hear something! No word on housing/schools/town situation as yet, or word from my predecessor - so keen to find out more! Anyone know my predecessor, or anything about my district? They really know how to drag this suspense thing out!

Just bumping this up on the off chance there are any incoming Hokkaido JETs around