Thread: First Lesson With 5th Graders

Default First Lesson With 5th Graders

Hi all! I hope that this post isn't answered anywhere else, but honestly I'm running out of time. I've been trying to figure out a good game, but I haven't come up with one.

I am going to a low-level elementary school tomorrow, and it's our first class together (with 5th graders). I already have a set idea for my self-introduction, but the teacher wants me to play a game with the kids. As this is a low-level school, these kids really haven't studied English prior, so their vocabulary is very limited. I was thinking some sort of laid back game would be good.

It should also be mentioned that I don't go to elementary schools very much - my usual hang is junior high schools.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd like to stray from the usual "Fruits Basket" and "Karuta" games, but I don't have a lot of prep time between today and tomorrow with my school visit today.

Default Re: First Lesson With 5th Graders

Pictionary. Easy as piss as they pretty much take care of them selves. Throw in the odd "animals/food/sport/anpanman" from time to time and your set.

Default Re: First Lesson With 5th Graders

If you have time to swing by the store and pick up some spaghetti and marshmallows, you might try this game posted a while back; I've tried it, and the kids really get into it.

Pictionary, as Opp said, also Charades, Battleship (requires some prep), Simon says (think it's too "kiddy?" It's not), the Hokey Pokey (my kids LOL every time I say the name of the song; it's great 'cause it teaches right, left, in, out, and body parts all at once)... Umm... can't really think of anything else atm.
    Last edited by word; May 24th, 2011 at 18:15.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Hey, thanks Word. You really helped me out with your great ideas!

I would try pictionary but the kids don't really know any English, as they just started studying this year. BUT, I'm definitely going to try to use that a bit later in the year, once they start learning some vocabulary. So far, it looks like I'm doing a janken prisoner game, simon says, and then maybe another game if I have time. Thank you both for your ideas!