Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunma Cabbages

Default Gunma Cabbages

Official placements do not seem to have come out yet, but as people have started getting trickles of information already, here is a place for Gunma peeps!

Gunma is a pretty awesome prefecture, and a pretty darn good compromise between the big city and the middle-of-nowhere as well. For most placements you can easily get to Tokyo in around 2-3 hours by train for a fun night or weekend, but as Gunma is considered kinda "inaka" you can easily find that small town sense of community and friendly people. We are also known for skiing and snowboarding during the winter, and have easy access to the many mountains of Nagano and Niigata. And onsen. And cabbages.

Aaaaand if you are one of the two lucky girls placed in my city, our half-day Fridays will feel like a godsend every week. But only two of you get that, sorry.

So any questions? Anyone request Gunma for their placement?

Default Re: Gunma Cabbages

Oh man half-day Fridays? Jealoussss
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Oh man half-day Fridays? Jealoussss
    I really wonder how common it is, since I don't know any other ALT's with their schedule like ours. Our city rotates schools every year too. We must be weird.

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

There are people down here with half Fridays too.

Rotating schools?! So one year they face west, then east, then north then south!!?! Wow that's cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

Been lurking a bit cause these forums are super useful and awesome, but I heard that a girl from NY might be placed in Gunma? I got a bit excited haha all I hear are great things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    There are people down here with half Fridays too.
    Okay, cool. I figured it wasn't super common since no other BOE in the prefecture does it that way, but they had to get the idea from somewhere!

Rotating schools?! So one year they face west, then east, then north then south!!?! Wow that's cool!
    Yup, they are built extra light so you can lift 'em easy, and then you just give 'em a spin. Causes some serious confusion the next morning though!

(Yeah, so I meant the ALTs rotate schools. Probably coulda worded that better...)

Quote Originally Posted by rebeckyc View Post
    Been lurking a bit cause these forums are super useful and awesome, but I heard that a girl from NY might be placed in Gunma? I got a bit excited haha all I hear are great things about it.
    A "girl from New York" is coming to my city, yes, but I don't have any info about her yet, sorry! And I don't know if that means interviewed at the NY consulate, from New York, New York, or from NY state. So... very vague.
    Last edited by scarreddragon; May 25th, 2011 at 11:11. Reason: added a quote

Quote Originally Posted by scarreddragon View Post
    A "girl from New York" is coming to my city, yes, but I don't have any info about her yet, sorry! And I don't know if that means interviewed at the NY consulate, from New York, New York, or from NY state. So... very vague.
    That's cool I figure as much. JET is always vague... and never ending. Seriously I have never waited so long in my life to find out details about a program.

Quote Originally Posted by rebeckyc View Post
    That's cool I figure as much. JET is always vague... and never ending. Seriously I have never waited so long in my life to find out details about a program.
    The waiting, it never ends. There is always something to wait for. When you get your placement, then you will be waiting to leave! When you get to Tokyo, you will be waiting to get to your placement, and then when you actually get there, you wait to start your school. As hard as it is, try your best to sit back, relax, and enjoy your time between waiting for stuff!

I requested Gunma. I know some ALT's there now, and I have some other connections over there as well. No idea what the odds of actually getting my request, but my fingers are crossed!
    Concrete is running through our veins

Quote Originally Posted by RomulusLupin View Post
    "Friday" is emanating from SOMEWHERE inside my computer and I can't find the source. WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Hintalove View Post
    I requested Gunma. I know some ALT's there now, and I have some other connections over there as well. No idea what the odds of actually getting my request, but my fingers are crossed!
    Did you request a specific city, or just Gunma in general?

I think I asked for the Maebashi area as my first choice, any where in Gunma for the second choice, and then like Saitama for my third.
    Concrete is running through our veins

Quote Originally Posted by RomulusLupin View Post
    "Friday" is emanating from SOMEWHERE inside my computer and I can't find the source. WTF.

Then request Chiba. Saitama??
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Didn't say it was the Bright Weeaboo Tokyo Shuffle.

Maybe Hintafries took a bus through Saitama once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I took a bus through Saitama once before I came to Japan on JET. I didn't even remember Saitama.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

I don't think the Tokyo Dance necessarily means 'weeabo' (still hate that word).
    There's also the international man-whore of mystery types who just want sex, drugs and rock n' roll. And variants thereof.
    Certainly my slight bit of Tokyo dancing towards the start of my decision was based more upon Tokyo being where foreign bands will be more likely to come and play and generally having good nightlife rather than it being the setting of Super Magical Girl Michiko Strawberry Mecha Panic Happy.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Good lord. Why the fuck would you do that to yourself?
    Saitama does kinda smell... but they do have a Costco.

Then again, Maebashi is getting a Costco within a year, so.... yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by scarreddragon View Post
    Saitama does kinda smell... but they do have a Costco.

Then again, Maebashi is getting a Costco within a year, so.... yeah.
    However, Saitama does have an Ikea in the same shopping complex...

BTW same as all the other Gunma JETs here.
    Please send any questions my way! I'm living in Isesaki, a small city in Gunma prefecture.
    It's a lot of fun and I don't think I've had a spare weekend since I got here! All you incoming people will have a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkimlost View Post
    However, Saitama does have an Ikea in the same shopping complex...
    This is true. You can order ikea stuff online, of course, but I'm sure it is cheaper and more fun to buy it in the store. Then again, the tolls are going back up starting in June, so maybe shipping will end up being cheaper again.

Don't we have any work to do at school?