Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airport Reunions?

Default Airport Reunions?

Hey guys, so to briefly explain, my girlfriend is already in Japan. She's a student at a Japanese university, and we've been apart for the past couple months, so she's very eager to see me again when I get back to Japan with JET. And as you'd expect, if I was arriving normally in Japan, she'd be right outside of customs waiting.

But with JET, I know we that the program is paying for our plane tickets, from what I understand we are all flying together, and then we'll proceed to Tokyo and orientation. I also understand that we should treat the Tokyo Orientation as a formal business situation.

Soooo, when we arrive in the airport, do we just hop on the public transit (i.e. the Keisei-sen from Narita), in which case, one extra person probably won't matter much, or does JET pile us into a chartered bus and take roll call or something?

So I guess here's the even shorter form of the above, should i ask my girlfriend to wait for me in Tokyo, or would it be alright to meet her at the airport like we usually do?

Default Re: Airport Reunions?

You will be herded towards a bunch of chartered buses by a bunch of obnoxiously over-friendly and annoying poindexters. (On that note, I would recommend pricing out the luggage delivery service to your new hometown through Yamato and the other takkyubin services. I found out after the fact that Yamato was about 1000yen cheaper to my prefecture than whatever delivery company CLAIR fobbed off on us).

Anyways, a hotel reunion is best in this situation. Register with the JET desk, drop your stuff off in your room, then you're free to do whatever.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

In the UK materials they said that you will not be allowed to meet people at the airport and to get them to meet you at the hotel -- so I imagine that it will be the same for everyone arriving at Narita.

Just a heads up, but thry can't/won't do anyhing if someone comes to mee you at the airport. The buses run all day, so there's no rush. They just have to treat you like drooling retards because they're terrified you'll get lost in the airport, freak out and run home to mommy. That said, a hotel meeting is more convenient meeting place.

And don't show any of the welcoming dorks your passport once you've cleared customs.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

It might be better to get her to meet you at the keio. I myself had a few people waiting for me when I got there too.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ten_of_spades View Post
    And don't show any of the welcoming dorks your passport once you've cleared customs.
    they asked you to?

Meet in the hotel. It's a long flight, you'll be hot sweaty and miserable by the time you get off the plane and outta the airport.
    if you want proof, try math or alcohol

Aye meet her at the Keio a few hours after you get off the plane. Have yerself a wee Tam Shank at 30000ft if you can't wait

The thought of some new ALTs getting on public transport on their own is hysterical. I can only imagine how many would end up in Hokkaido.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Sad but true. There's always 'that guy' who ruins it for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by AVNicholls View Post
    they asked you to?
    It's a bit of a blur but i don't think so. There is/was a clip in the new JET welcome video though sayin 'give Overly-Friendly Gary Gaijin' your passport if he asks on the way to the buses'. It's better to get into the habit of only showing it ro police or immigration (ie the only two groups that can legally ask to see your passport/gaijin card)

There are worse times to be treated like a child than when you're jet lagged and exhausted after a flight. Just ask Muffles.

It's just so obnoxiously overdone. Setting up a welcome desk and saying 'welcome to Japan, the buses are that way -->' would've been fine. Instead you're running the gauntlet of over-caffeinated dorks.

The ass-wipery of Tokyo Orientation also makes the transition to Dick-machi, population 100, that much more jarring. Inaka Taro doesn't play that hand-holding game!

Why do they even need to see your passport?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    There are worse times to be treated like a child than when you're jet lagged and exhausted after a flight. Just ask Muffles.
    She just brings her dolly and woogie and she feels better about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by atheistwithfaith View Post
    Why do they even need to see your passport?
    To make sure the customs officers put a red stamp on your work visa (a two-second fix at your contracting organization in the unlikely chance they don't do it, so nothing to worry about).

I imagine most of it is just to be snoops and/or patronizing though.

Mine never got stamped lol.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Oh wait... nevermind.

Anyway, to save this edit... I hated those JET pricks at the airport. My case was lost and I was late/lost/hungover... god I hated them so much.
    Last edited by Sheepy; June 8th, 2011 at 11:31.

Ok, so it's public transit, but a huge, over-caffeinated welcome wagon. gotcha.

Thanks guys!

The good news is, the TOA who takes the bus (which is usually only half-full, so there's room to stretch out) tends to be more sane and relaxed.

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

Mine was pretty full. :-(
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/