Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Applying for 2012.....

Default Applying for 2012.....

Hey everyone,

So I know I'm probably a bit early but kinda wanna try to be organised, esp as getting everything sorted for Jet is so bloody time consuming. Just wanting a bit of advice thou... for the personal statement part of the application, does that ever change from year to year? As in, if I start to plan it now, they won't bring out a new format or such in Sept time? It's just I'm gunna be travelling around that time and would rather get it sorted now so it's ready to be sent in (I'm aware my application form need to be the most recent one)

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers

Default Re: Applying for 2012.....

It hasn't changed for the last few years, I'm pretty sure, so if you want to get drafting now don't worry about the format etc. changing!
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan

Things to focus your attention on:

1. The SOP
    2. Your recommendation letters
    3. ...
    4. Everything else
    Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit
    It's like GG's life is run by a DM who lets him take all skill checks with his charisma modifier.

Lost in a Strange Land lilyanphino's Avatar

It is great that you are so on top of things. I would go ahead and start on you SOP if you want something to work on first. Everything else can be done closer to the deadline.

Super thanks!

I made the mistake of waiting to write the SOP until the application came out last year. I thought the application would give more details about what to write, but that wasn't the case. Needless to say I didn't get in. So I've already started writing mine for this year to make absolutely sure that I have lots of time to work on it.

Whilst I would agree that the SoP is CRUCIAL, don't over think it. Relate it to the "mission statement" of JET, but be honest and interesting. If it sounds like every other application no one will notice you.

Good luck!

I wrote my sop in one night. You guys really overthink this.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

I started my application a week before the deadline, and most of that was waiting for transcripts and references. The SOP and the application form shouldn't take longer than a morning to fill out
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

You might want to take a little more time than that but I'm always surprised by how many people show up here and ask everyone and their brother to look at their SOP for months on end. I did the whole app process blind and got an interview no problem. Believe in yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

I don't think you need to have everyone and your neighbor vet your SOP, but I do think that aside from not being a total FK, it's probably the most looked-at part of your application.

I mean, it won't save you if you went to Uncle Ned's Drive-through College and Distillery, but it's important.
    Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit
    It's like GG's life is run by a DM who lets him take all skill checks with his charisma modifier.

Lost in a Strange Land lilyanphino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    You might want to take a little more time than that but I'm always surprised by how many people show up here and ask everyone and their brother to look at their SOP for months on end. I did the whole app process blind and got an interview no problem. Believe in yourself!
    This is a very good point. I wrote my SOP and did everything without looking at any forums and was accepted. Just be yourself and if it's meant to be, then it'll happen.

My app I started...in November. Wasn't sure I was actually going to apply until November, had been really wanting to earlier in the year (and was kicking myself I'd missed that year's app period) but the interest had waned by the end of the year and I was generally really unsure.
    Decided to take the plunge though and..yeah. Had plenty of time. The only thing it would have been good to have gotten totally confirmed earlier is references.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Yep. It's why I always refuse to give out SoP help. If you're too stupid to write an SoP on your own that doesn't get you rejected you shouldn't come. I may be being mean to you, but I'm being kind to the teachers and students that would have had to deal with you. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

...or the one...
    How do you know they're too stupid to write an SOP on their own?
    They might have done something rubbish, but then they might have done something great and just want someone to check it over- always a wise thing to do.
    Last edited by Tyr; July 9th, 2011 at 03:37.

everyone should have any formal document proofread, it's asinine to think otherwise.
    That's the best thing I ever saw!

I agree with Froren. Even though I'm a trained journalist and an English teacher, I knew I needed someone to give my SOP a look over. Even though my SOP was good to start with, it was very nice to receive someone else's point of view, and it helped me fix up any small mistakes that I had neglected to notice.
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan

Depends how good you are at checking your own writing. I wrote mine the morning I sent my application off and just checked it myself. Confidence in your ability can be more help than conflicting views from people who don't know what you're trying to say. However, I would rec someone checking your spelling and grammar at the very least as it's easy to miss when you read back.
    Last edited by Strange_quark; July 9th, 2011 at 08:02. Reason: Irony. Don't write your SoP on a phone.

Elizabath, if you want I can send you my SOP from last year so that you can see what DIDN'T work. The forums helped me realise what I had written was not what JET was looking for. It's a competitive programme and your SOP very rightly has to stand out. The fact that I didn't get an interview does not mean I am stupid or not qualified. It just means my SOP needed to be better. Some people were able to get into the programme without putting in much effort or time and congratulations to them, but that doesn't mean you lose out from doing as much as you can towards writing a great SOP.

I'm gonna agree with everybody. ('cuz I'm that kinda tramp.)

If you can't write an SOP free of major grammatical errors and spelling issues on your own, you probably won't do well. Having other people look at it is probably a good idea, though. When you write things on your own and with your own POV, you occasionally miss portions that are open to misinterpretation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Froren View Post
    everyone should have any formal document proofread, it's asinine to think otherwise.
    Having someone proofread your document is not the same as asking everyone online for advice. Just write it and have a couple family members look it over to make sure you didn't make any stupid mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Having someone proofread your document is not the same as asking everyone online for advice. Just write it and have a couple family members look it over to make sure you didn't make any stupid mistakes.
    Nor did I confuse the two with my statement.
    That's the best thing I ever saw!