Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435

Thread: Applying for 2012.....

I'm in the deep inaka where people in cars slow down to stop and stare at the foreigner. The good thing is my Japanese has progressed at an amazing pace. In only 6 months, I've gone from almost nothing to entire 20 min conversations (albeit, very broken Japanese, but it gets the point across.)

Default Re: Applying for 2012.....

Seems like everybody accepted has experience with either volunteering or teaching. I was just wondering, how does JET figure in your future plans/career? Most of you interested in teaching?

I've taught before, but I wouldn't want to be a career teacher. I HAVE considered owning an ESL school of some sort, either abroad or here in Australia. The bureaucracy of actual teaching would likely get to me, though.

Otherwise I'm interested in going on JET to really ramp up my fluency and then using Japanese alongside future postgrad professional studies to get into international business/ law or something like translation.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Quote Originally Posted by RomulusLupin View Post
    Your qualifications have less to do with what you're allowed to do than the teachers/your predecessor/the expectations of your school.
    Yes, this.
    The first time I did JET I had 6 months teaching experience and they let me teach 75% of the classes by myself.

The second time I taught all of them by myself at my first school [very low academic], then none of them by myself at my second school [very high academic].
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

See, I feel like I could be very good at teaching complicated concepts or literature or something, but going to the very beginning seems like one of those "where the hell do I start?" things. Granted, I learned how to dumb things down when I was an exchange student in order to communicate in Japanese, but that hindered my english in the end.

Ah well- if I get past the interview, I'll figure something out. Thanks for sharing your perspectives with me, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette View Post
    Seems like everybody accepted has experience with either volunteering or teaching. I was just wondering, how does JET figure in your future plans/career? Most of you interested in teaching?
    I kind of have informal teaching experience, I work at a museum that has an area that runs sessions for kids 1-6yrs old (they're themed 45min sessions, eg space theme, native bird theme, we read stories, play and do crafts) and we have 4 areas aimed for kids 5-13, havent done teachers college but might be a plan in the future, maybe not to be a classroom teacher though.

Quote Originally Posted by bananallanah View Post
    I kind of have informal teaching experience, I work at a museum that has an area that runs sessions for kids 1-6yrs old (they're themed 45min sessions, eg space theme, native bird theme, we read stories, play and do crafts) and we have 4 areas aimed for kids 5-13, havent done teachers college but might be a plan in the future, maybe not to be a classroom teacher though.
    oh wow i work at a kids museum too, after i deliver to you my dignity/soul you should totally be friends with whats left of me XD
    I probably post things that interest you
    nihonomnom | JET Program tales from Kobe-shi \(^ω^\)└(★o★)┐(〜^∇^)〜

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

Quote Originally Posted by kitsune_daifuku View Post
    oh wow i work at a kids museum too, after i deliver to you my dignity/soul you should totally be friends with whats left of me XD
    ITIL soul mates.

Yeah, you see what I did there.

Quote Originally Posted by bananallanah View Post
    ITIL soul mates.

Yeah, you see what I did there.
    ::Link is broken::
    I probably post things that interest you
    nihonomnom | JET Program tales from Kobe-shi \(^ω^\)└(★o★)┐(〜^∇^)〜

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

I am a substitute teacher for a preschool, chanced upon that job. It's predominantly Chinese kids and we do English/Chinese days where the teachers only talk in one language. Tried to stress about that the most. I also work at a children's theater and have to manage 40 5-15 year old kid actors at a time, get them into their costumes and keep em quiet back stage. Neither are very official teaching jobs.. /shrug.
    Kinda unsure about my future. Haven't had enough teaching experience to know if I want to become a full time teacher for the rest of my life.