Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Applying for 2012.....

I'm getting freaked out too. :/

I just moved across the country a couple months ago so all of my references are far away. Maybe I should at least call them with a head's up... damn you super eager people for making me doubt my laziness.

You guys are making me glad I'm NOT doing anything.

Stress is highly overrated.
    いいみで

lol You were doing your own stressing not too long ago if I recall.

And I'm not really stressed, just second guessing my decision to not talk to my references until after the app comes out. I'm friends with the professors I'm planning on asking though, so maybe I will just give them a call now so they know it's coming.

It's never too early to ask for references. No matter how well they know you, it's going to be a drag for them to write. Help them out by outlining what you'd like them to say ( this is easier with employer references than for academic references in my opinion). And give them a deadline much earlier than the actual deadline. If you give them too much time to do it, then they will procrastinate and likely forget about it.

I just didn't want to ask before I had the form they'll have to fill out. I suppose if I send them last year's and let them know they'll have to fill out something pretty much identical to that, it should be ok.

http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JET/20...erenceForm.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    I just didn't want to ask before I had the form they'll have to fill out. I suppose if I send them last year's and let them know they'll have to fill out something pretty much identical to that, it should be ok.

http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JET/20...erenceForm.pdf
    Yea that's the one I sent, I just told both that in all likelihood that will be what the form will look like but just that I won't require it off them until after I receive the official forms
    I probably post things that interest you
    nihonomnom | JET Program tales from Kobe-shi \(^ω^\)└(★o★)┐(〜^∇^)〜

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

I'd agree it's a good idea to give a heads up to people writing the references. I would not stress much about the application just start on it as soon as the forms are released to give yourself ample time to complete it. I did it all in about a week and that was during parent teacher conferences at my school and it was awful. It cannot hurt to work on your SOP ahead of time. Just be honest and straight forward and make it clear why you stand out from other applicants and why JET should take you. It is not a philosophy paper and you don't know who will be reading it so keep it simple and clear.

Default Re: Applying for 2012.....

My question is do I still need an FBI check if I've never done anything but get traffic tickets?

Yes, to prove you've had nothing but traffic tickets.

Should I be requesting that now so that I dont have to wait forever to get it?

Yes, you will need a background check. The point of it is to find out if you have ever been charged with a felony or a frowned upon misdemeanor. Most people with a record are not going to mention on their application or at the interview that they're a convicted felon. I had mine done as soon as I was accepted into the program because it takes forever to get back. I would say get one done early if you're convinced you will get in, but I have heard stories of people getting it done earlier in the year for a different job and having to get another more recent one for JET. I'd say if you get to the interview stage and are feeling confident apply then because the FBI takes its time to respond and plus every other JET who gets accepted will send it in at about the same time.

OOH OKAY, I was under the impression that you had to send one in with the application.

I think some people did apply for it when the application came out, but I know I did not send one in. All I had to do was check off and sign some paper saying that I had not been convicted of any real crimes. It is nothing to worry about since it is really out of your control. All you do is send in the request when they tell you to and wait to get it back. You will not be penalized for the FBI being lazy.

I'll add that if those traffic tickets include DUI, your chances of getting on drop massively. Speeding, parking, should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    I'll add that if those traffic tickets include DUI, your chances of getting on drop massively. Speeding, parking, should be ok.

Just speeding.

You will be fine. Yeah I'd totally agree. You can plan on having your app thrown out if you have a DUI or any sort of drug charges.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesnMomos View Post
    Should I be requesting that now so that I dont have to wait forever to get it?
    No, wait till you find out whether or not you you have gotten an interview because if I remember correctly, the FBI check has to have been done within six months of your departure date. I remember I applied for mine in early March and I received it by Mid-April.

On an unrelated note: It's very amusing to look at all the noobs freaking out about the application process, it seems like a lifetime ago to me. Good luck to you all, unless you're a FK.
    Remember kids, the Internet doesn't make you more stupid, it just makes your stupidity more accessible by others

"You've got to get mad! You've got to say, 'I'm a human being, God damn it! My life has value!'"

I remember this time last year starting to think about what I was gonna do with my life after university and how to improve my chances of getting into JET. Aaaah what difference a year makes.

Hey everyone, so last year i didnt even make it to interview, which is probably a good thing as two weeks after i got my rejection letter i was knocked off my motorbike ... again ... and did myself some damage, all good now though, not that im sure anyone cares, lol.

my questions is this, because of the above said incident, which as well as damaging my person also included damaging my laptop and loosing all of my uni work, i only got a third. Is it worth even trying to apply with a third or should i save a few trees and just forget about it ?

Input welcome
    Last edited by VonD; August 14th, 2011 at 06:45.
    Von D

Musician . . . ? Me . . . ? Well actually yes, yes I am www.soundcloud.com/Lkv

...A third what?
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan