Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: pred trying to sell stuff

Default pred trying to sell stuff

Just noticed I got an email from my pred whilst I was in London, they're trying to sell me their old stuff....and the price they're quoting is a hell of a lot. 50,000 yen, everything as a job lot with no individual prices.

Looking through the list of whats for sale....I can't see much that really warrants the value. DVD players and microwaves cost £30 or so in the UK, checking amazon the first microwave for Japan that pops up is £50 (don't see myself needing a DVD player), irons are also cheap, blankets and towels and stuff- why are these even included? Second hand towels? eww.
    I guess that there's two bikes could build up the cost but 1: I only need one and 2: as I've mentioned my successor is short whereas I'm at the top end of average height...for the west, for Japan I'm probally tall. I've always needed a larger bike.
    The only potentially expensive and needed things are the heater and the sofa but...£400?

So yeah...this seems to be a damn awful deal to me. Buying everything new/second hand elsewhere wouldn't cost too much more and I don't need several things that are listed.
    Are there any weird little things would could potentially cost a lot in Japan? Is there a mega tax on seating cushions or something?

So...any suggestions on how to politely say no? Baring in mind I would be hurting my pred here and they could well decide to make my arrival very uncomfortable.
    Last edited by Tyr; July 11th, 2011 at 23:44.

Default Re: pred trying to sell stuff

This makes me happy that my pred is leaving me everything for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    what the fuck does all of this have to do with bear arms? If you can't stick to the topic at hand I wish you'd just keep your mouth shut and quit derailing a perfectly good thread about bear arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr View Post

So...any suggestions on how to politely say no? Baring in mind I would be hurting my pred here and they could well decide to make my arrival very uncomfortable.

Just say that although you can see the difficulties of them getting rid of stuff (they're probably trying to sell to you to avoid the hassle, as well as being nice, making sure you have things when you get there), you're just not in a financial situation where you can afford that stuff.

You don't have to buy all of it, or any of it. If there's anything you think you want, ask about that. It's a thanks but no thanks situation - thank them for their consideration, however, you don't want or need a lot of those things.

If you DO decide, ask if you can have photos of the stuff - all angles etc to check for condition, and maybe a half up front half later arrangement with payment.

You're under no obligation, and when you have your pay days, you can buy anything you want. It depends how long you'll be there - if it's just a year, you might be in the same situation as your predecessor in 12 months. But it first and foremost their responsibility to deal with their stuff.

Good luck!

Can you ask if they would mind you taking just some of the listed items...and tell them what you want to buy, and ask them for a price. If you don't like the sound of the price, just say no.

I think I asked my successor for about 5Man (the same amount your pred is asking for)...but that was for the expensive items that I had bought (air-conditioner, fridge, washing machine, stove, microwave, toaster etc.) I didn't bother asking for money for kotatsu/ iron/ plates/ pans/ sofa/ bike/ loads of spare futons etc. because I felt cheeky asking, and it was really helpful that I didn't need to give them all away!!

You have to understand that unfortunately some predecessors really try to rip off their successors BUT quite often they're not doing it to be mean. They really think their shit is worth a lot of money.

Repeat: If you don't think it's worth it- you can say no!!

P.S. Please be aware that it would cost you A LOT more than 5 man to furnish an apartment. I spent more than 5man on my air-conditioner alone!! Starting off from scratch can be hard if you're a recent grad without much in the way of savings!!

Quote Originally Posted by WaIdroon View Post
    You son of a bitch, now the price is 750 or you can buy your own shit when you get here. Good luck moving furniture with a bike, dick.
    lol if you really are her successor then I think you made the decision easier for her. I assume you're just kidding though.

Tyr: If you flirt with sales clerks in the shops they might deliver fridges/air-con/sofas for free anyway

The air con is built into the flat and the fridge is owned by the BOE so thats no bother. There's a few jets going to the same area as me who need to get cars so even if I do have to get something big (maybe will want I'm sure I'll be able to get someone to help me.

I'm particularly annoyed as I remember them mentioning they got one of the bikes for free and there was supposed to be a bed in there somewhere but it has merely been downgraded to a matress.
    Strange really as they've been kinda decent so far.

melty: why not ask for kotatsu money? Isn't that a big expensive thing?
    Last edited by Tyr; July 12th, 2011 at 02:22.

tell them that you don't have that much money.

protip: say you cant afford to buy it... then get left most of it for free
    How are you? Yes yes!

kotatsu dont cost anything, you can get them for a few thousand yen.

5man for a load of stuff aint bad, I'd pay it if I were you just because I know if it was me I would rather smash it all to pieces in the centre of the living room and piss over the pile of remains rather than give it away for free to some freeloading cheapskate.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I'd say he's definitely not offering you a bargain, but the stuff does seem to be worth 50,000 if it's in good condition. Plus, in my opinion, it's worth paying more to have stuff when you move in. It's not that much fun to spend your first day in Japan drying off after a shower with a paper towel while hiding behind a suitcase because your neighbor is watching you through their window and you have no curtains.

And just because you might have some ALT friends who have cars doesn't mean they'll be free to help you right away or that their car will be big enough to carry anything bigger than a microwave.

Not saying you should take the deal, but consider there's more than just stuff you're buying. You're buying peace of mind.

mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Too much. Offer 3man.
    if you want proof, try math or alcohol

The legacies of predecessors / successors is luck of the draw. If your predecessor got fucked, they will feel justified in fucking you as well. Since you seem to have bad luck and be on the receiving end of this, you should try to come to a conclusion that both of you are fine with. You both have unique power over each other. You are in control of how easily your predecessor moves out, so they will probably bend to your offers when they feel they have no other choice. But if you push too hard, the wrath of a predecessor is a terrible thing, and they control how you will be spending your first few weeks or months.
    minor rant: abe vigoda

Second hand towels? eww.
    have you ever stayed in a hotel?

It's a bit on the pricey side but might be worth it. Maybe negotiate it down a bit if you can.

Towels can be useful for house guests too, you might not want to use second hand towels yourself (don't be a pansy though, if they don't have shitstains and you've made sure their washed who the hell cares) but if you have people to stay then it is a useful thing to have.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

melty: why not ask for kotatsu money? Isn't that a big expensive thing?
    I bought it for about 3000yen from a second hand shop. I miss that kotatsu!!

I can't tell if some things have been missed off the list! If the essential items (fridge, aircon etc.) are all owned by the BOE, then even if you say no, you won't move into an empty flat. ()

Maybe they were just starting with a high price so you would bargain them down?? Alphabet's suggestion of about 3man sounds fairer.

Banned

i guess it depends what he's selling you. i know some boes don't provide anything, lights or fridges or whatever, so in that case it might not be so bad a price. did they say when they bought the items and for how much?

Meh to an empty flat. I've known that just fine as a student.

I don't want to post a full list, just in case he is a forum browser and that would make it a bit obvious. As said though there's a fair amount of stuff on the list but I can't see much that would cost very much.
    Researching the kerosene heater and the sofa are about the only things I can see myself needing which would cost £100.
    Oh well, guess there's no way around this but to just mail them no.

Chances are they will just leave most of the stuff anyway.
    Ok, picture a mind.... Now flay that shit!

Quote Originally Posted by mothy
    You're the best thing to happen this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy_money View Post
    Chances are they will just leave most of the stuff anyway.
    Only if I handle this right I'd wager though.

Banned

Tyr if you want, you can PM me and I'll tell you how much I would estimate it to be from things being sold here by preds and from prices in local stores.