Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Money changing

Default Money changing

So what would folk say is the best thing to do to get your yen?
    Where is the best value place to exchange in Britain?- or is it best to do it in Japan?

Default Re: Money changing

I'm buying all mine at the post office (rates permitting).
    It's commission free and the rates are usually pretty good. I'm not leaving it til Japan because the rate is dropping loads, and it could be a lot of complicated hassle. You'll probably not get very good rates either.

However, that being said - atm the post office is only offering 121 which is frankly pathetic. The Halifax is offering damn good rates at the moment, and you might want to try The Change Group or TravelMoneyNow. Ordering online might get you a better rate too.

Banned

I looked my agent up on moneysupermarket and picked it up in person in London. Got really good deal.

There's a website that used to have good rates. I can't remember the name at all but I think it was something like ICE.

If you have a nationwide account you can pull the cash out here for a fee of £1 (it might have changed now, it used to be free after all) and that rate is usually the bank rate (slightly better)

I think I just used the post office cos I couldn't be bothered. Last time though I used that website.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

If you don't have time to get money (or are a little lazy like me...)

You can always wait until you're in Tokyo and use your cash card to get money out of the post office. International cards don't work in all Japanese bank machines BUT there is a post office right outside the Keio plaza that will talk to you in English and give you cash

7-11s now also do charge-free (japanside) for foreign cards.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

London Town... City Girl - wonder how I'll do in the Inaka????

I always go to Thomas Global Exchange in London - they have several branches and always seem to have the most competitive rates (currently 126.4yen to the pound).

Monseysavingexpert have a tool you can use to find the best going rates (delivery and collection) also:
    Cheap Travel Money | TravelMoneyMax.com | Compare to get the best foreign currency exchange rates with the Travel Money Maximiser

Hey, what about for us Americans. What's the best way for us to get money changed?
    Remember kids, the Internet doesn't make you more stupid, it just makes your stupidity more accessible by others

"You've got to get mad! You've got to say, 'I'm a human being, God damn it! My life has value!'"

Lost in a Strange Land lilyanphino's Avatar

I went with Wells Fargo since my bank doesn't do money exchange. Wells Fargo seemed to have a reasonable rate and I got my yen the next day.

I'm bringing some yen, but am going to bring most of my money in US dollars and exchange it at Keio Plaza (since it sounds like there's a money exchange place there) when I get there or I'm going to just have it in my bank account so I can withdraw it easily. Since, unfortunately, it's way too late now for me to order money from the bank.

always go to Thomas Global Exchange in London - they have several branches and always seem to have the most competitive rates (currently 126.4yen to the pound).

Monseysavingexpert have a tool you can use to find the best going rates (delivery and collection) also:
    Cheap Travel Money | TravelMoneyMax.com | Compare to get the best foreign currency exchange rates with the Travel Money Maximiser
    This seems useful, thanks.
    Now I've learned from my sup how much I need to pay when I get there I'm going to be ordering my dosh on the morrow.
    Scary prospect to be dealing with over a thousand pounds!

Quote Originally Posted by Melrudin View Post
    I'm bringing some yen, but am going to bring most of my money in US dollars and exchange it at Keio Plaza (since it sounds like there's a money exchange place there) when I get there or I'm going to just have it in my bank account so I can withdraw it easily. Since, unfortunately, it's way too late now for me to order money from the bank.
    This I'm wondering about...how much more/less expensive does it work out changing in Japan?
    Last edited by Tyr; July 22nd, 2011 at 05:48.

Last year the rates Keio offered were absolutely terrible. I'd avoid that route if at all possible.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by Tarquin View Post
    7-11s now also do charge-free (japanside) for foreign cards.
    I've read this is the cheapest way to get yen in Japan. I think it really depends on what your home nation's bank charges for international transactions. For some major American banks like Chase or PNC it's 3% per transaction with a max limit between 500 and 600 USD per business day.

I did some research and I think I'm just going to do it though my bank here. They only charge about $13 to get money changed so as long as they are using the standard exchange rate it sounds like a good deal. Any opinions?
    Remember kids, the Internet doesn't make you more stupid, it just makes your stupidity more accessible by others

"You've got to get mad! You've got to say, 'I'm a human being, God damn it! My life has value!'"

Do the math on the rate they quote you at.

You can look at xe.com to see the interbank rates. The narita rates are here

Exchange Information

There's also a currency exchange simulation that will tell you what you're going to get at the airport counter. From personal experience, the US airports are the worst.

Looking at the money saving expert one I'm getting worried about the higher payers (only 5 yen a time difference but still...it adds up) not being protected and having warnings labels and stuff on them.
    Think I'm just going to go with the post office.
    Time to do some maths and work out how much pay I'll be getting in the middle of the month and how much money I actually need.

Well the website right now says that Halifax has good rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    what the fuck does all of this have to do with bear arms? If you can't stick to the topic at hand I wish you'd just keep your mouth shut and quit derailing a perfectly good thread about bear arms.

Yeh, I am gonna order online with the post office. Just not worth the risk imo to be buying with those high money ones. You can't pay by card (so you are not protected by Visa) and it just gets sent in the post (so they only have your word if it goes missing, or some postie nabs your money).

Post office - you can pay by card, it is FSA approved and there is secure shipping to your local branch.

I found a small travel agency in my city that does 74y to dollar or so, plus a ten dollar fee. Not good but not terrible.
    Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit
    It's like GG's life is run by a DM who lets him take all skill checks with his charisma modifier.

Quote Originally Posted by greengoo View Post
    I found a small travel agency in my city that does 74y to dollar or so, plus a ten dollar fee. Not good but not terrible.
    Have you checked if your bank will do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.