Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creepy Crawlies

Default Creepy Crawlies

Maybe I'm a giant wuss, but the thought of spiders the size of my hand is a bit freaky. Watching youtube videos yesterday of huntsman spiders didn't exactly help. Watching videos of mukade was also a bad plan. Even though spiders terrify me, I'd almost be willing to live with one if it meant no monster centipedes.

So my question is this... have you guys had any experiences with huntsman spiders or mukade? Has anyone tried to live in peace with a spider? I'm not freaking out, I'm just curious.

Lost in a Strange Land lilyanphino's Avatar

Default Re: Creepy Crawlies

I hate bugs so much. I already know the day after I get to my apartment, I'm going to find a store that carries bug killing/prevention stuff and I'm going to buy lots of it.

They kill other bugs. It's more agreeable than living with a bat. Or Superman. He's just a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyanphino View Post
    I hate bugs so much. I already know the day after I get to my apartment, I'm going to find a store that carries bug killing/prevention stuff and I'm going to buy lots of it.

I thought about freezing spray... but as much as I hate spiders, if they eat all the other nasty bugs that come out in the rainy season I'm wondering if it might just be better to coexist peacefully with them. That's why I'm curious about people's experiences.

Edit: Found this thread.
    http://www.ithinkimlost.com/japan-je...-my-house.html
    Last edited by peanut; July 23rd, 2011 at 03:39.

I'd prefer one of these Mukade to a boat-sized spider anyday, regardless of how poisonous they are.

Mukade it sounds like you can pick up with tongs and boil them in a pan or something, but spiders, sodding hate the bastards.

So uuh... whats the bug-related wildlife like in the Okayama countryside?
    Last edited by MJN; July 23rd, 2011 at 05:23.

Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    I'd prefer one of these Mukade to a boat-sized spider anyday, regardless of how poisonous they are.

Mukade it sounds like you can pick up with tongs and boil them in a pan or something, but spiders, sodding hate the bastards.

So uuh... whats the bug-related wildlife like in the Okayama countryside?
    In Okayama that only real bug "threat" I had to deal with were the mukade. I usually kept quite a barrier of repellant powder around my house every summer that seemed to do the trick. I averaged only about one or two baby mukade sneaking in per year after the powder went down. Likely there were others I never saw, but out of sight, out of mind and all that.

Where exactly in Okayama are you heading? The closer you are to mountains the higher your chances are of being visited by Mr. Mukade and Friends.

I hate the thought of things like spiders catching me unprepared, like them crawling over me in my sleep or something. Despite being annoyed greatly by them, I'd have a morbid curiosity to take photos before killing them. Still rather not see them in the first place, though.
    Last edited by MJN; January 18th, 2012 at 14:44.

Banned

What kinda place are you movi into? My old shack was falling apart and infested with hand spiders, mukade and everything else. Now I see a bug every few weeks since I moved into an upper floor apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Mimasaka, nearish to Tsuyama. I may invest in this powder.

I hate the thought of things like spiders catching me unprepared, like them crawling over me in my sleep or something. Despite being annoyed greatly by them, I'd have a morbid curiosity to take photos before killing them. Still rather not see them in the first place, though.
    Although I never had fist sized spiders near where I lived, the spiders that did drop by always left me alone. The mukade, on the other hand, will not try to avoid you and may actively seek to attack you (or so it seems). They are aggressive little hellions and the bigger they get the more disgusting they are. Plus I've always been told that they hunt in pairs. Much like the Sith, always two there are. If you see and kill one, keep in mind that his buddy may be nearby plotting his vengeance.

As annoying as it is to walk face first into a spider web, it's more preferable than having a mukade drop down on you from the ceiling.

It requires a major thought process revision. Spiders are usually the enemy... not scarier-bug-assassins. I don't even hate spiders because of a fear that they'll bite me. It's more a visceral fear based on the creepy, jointy way they walk.

Have any of you current JETs had any scary encounters with spiders or mukade in your beds? I think I could handle pretty much anything but that.

I think there are one or two people who've had a mukade crawl on 'em whilst asleep. One of my students arrived at school a month or so ago with a swollen neck and a huge welt; he'd been bitten by one while sleeping.

I've only seen small jumping spiders in my house, which are cute and don't bug me in the slightest.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

whew. At least it doesn't sound super common. Battling mutant bugs in the daylight is one thing... at least you have a chance. I'd rather not share my bed with them.

So far I've been lucky (crosses fingers) to not have any problems with gigantic spiders or mukade in my area. I see medium sized spiders outside but none near my apartment or the freakishly huge ones. I've had normal sized bugs in my apartment and once I had a lizard sneak in, but it was cute and I was able to get it out through my balcony. I did have a suzumebachi chilling in front of my apartment that seemed a bit aggressive but luckily it was sick or dying so I could get away from it easily. We have tons of cicadas around here. I like them but some people find them gross too.

I like cicadas! They have pretty wings. I like their singing, too.

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post

Have any of you current JETs had any scary encounters with spiders or mukade in your beds? I think I could handle pretty much anything but that.
    My original pred had a mukade crawl into his armpit and bite him in bed. And I know of two different people who woke to find a mukade had snuck into bed and crawled up into their boxer shorts. One was bitten. Fortunately it was on the inner thigh. Could have been worse.

Mukade are evil beasts, forged from the devil's worst nightmares.

Have you seen the video on YouTube of the giant mukade kept as a pet? The owners were feeding it a mouse in the video. It makes my skin crawl thinking about it.

Fortunately, my new apartment is in a city and on the second floor so I can finally sleep with my doors and windows open in the summer without fear of those monsters getting in.

I had a giant huntsman type spider in my house yesterday. I took a broom and annihilated it, followed by spraying it with the freeze spray for good measure. There's been a cockroach in my house lately that I haven't been able to catch. I hope it saw what happens when I get the better of bugs/spiders.

Quote Originally Posted by n107 View Post
    And I know of two different people who woke to find a mukade had snuck into bed and crawled up into their boxer shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by n107 View Post
    Have you seen the video on YouTube of the giant mukade kept as a pet? The owners were feeding it a mouse in the video. It makes my skin crawl thinking about it.
    I saw it... I just couldn't watch for very long. I didn't want to see the poor mouse all scared... the downside being that I still don't know what they look like when they attack. It can't be as bad as the Tremors-esque scenario I'm picturing.

Quote Originally Posted by charmed_23 View Post
    I hope it saw what happens when I get the better of bugs/spiders.
    Gotta make an example!

I was psyched about being placed in Kyushu until I heard about the kinds of bugs they've got there. Mukade, enormous spiders, "sparrow hornets" that can kill people who aren't even allergic to them (though I understand it's not common). F*ck all of these things.
    Last edited by word; September 24th, 2011 at 09:53. Reason: Appeasement.

My best friend lived in Japan and said he never saw a mukade. He also didn't see any spiders whatsoever, let alone a giant one. I guess it just depends on placement and luck of the draw.

I feel better though. I may see bugs, I may not... but there are bug killing options and everyone seems to have survived their experiences with them.

I've had them all (and a snake) many times and it's horrific every time