Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creepy Crawlies

note to self... don't go to Shikoku.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Default Re: Creepy Crawlies

while the creepy crawlies may suck the bridges connecting honshu to shikoku are awesome!

☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Have to say, I had never heard of a Mukade before reading this thread and had to google search it. Nasty looking SOB. Personally, can't stand spiders, silver fish etc, unless there the cuter tiny ones that zip around at near light speed. Usually I dispose of creepers anytime I catch one running around.

I had everything from baby mukade to bears in and around my house (thanks, rural Gunma). I laid down several lines of that anti-bug powder outside the house, and sprayed the inside with some Ortho Home Defence I brought in my suitcase (I later switched to a water-vinegar mix in a spray bottle).

It kept most mukade at bay, although I did occasionally get a big 6" bastard skittering through my living room. Vacuuming them up doesn't work because they escape, smushing them with your shoe releases some sort of pheromone that attracts others in the area, and chopping them in half gives you two smaller mukade that move blindingly fast.

Spiders generally stayed outside. Only twice did I find the big ones inside: one on my wall, and the other on my face, Home Alone-style. They were extremely fast too. I had a hell of a time catching them with my vacuum cleaner.

Sparrow bees built a few nests outside my house and one once flew in my car while driving. That was unnerving, as they are LOUD. Don't mess around with them!
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

This thread makes me so happy they didn't place me in kyushu. The place looks great but I hate bugs so much )':
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    what the fuck does all of this have to do with bear arms? If you can't stick to the topic at hand I wish you'd just keep your mouth shut and quit derailing a perfectly good thread about bear arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffles View Post
    This thread makes me so happy they didn't place me in kyushu. The place looks great but I hate bugs so much )':
    I think you'll find that the entire country is filled with disgusting bugs of monstrous proportions.

Aww... That picture with the bridge is really nice. I went to college in p... a really bridge-y town... so maybe I'm just partial. I take it back Shikoku. You're pretty and I'd take you, bug infestation and all.

Quote Originally Posted by ten_of_spades View Post
    I had everything from baby mukade to bears in and around my house (thanks, rural Gunma). I laid down several lines of that anti-bug powder outside the house, and sprayed the inside with some Ortho Home Defence I brought in my suitcase (I later switched to a water-vinegar mix in a spray bottle).
    What? F*ck. Anti-bug powders takes care of bears?
    Last edited by word; September 24th, 2011 at 09:52. Reason: Appeasement.

I have been bitten by a Mukade once while I was sleeping - bit me right between the fingers on the webbing - that was a couple of years ago. A few weeks back I half woke up in the night (I am a very heavy sleeper) because it felt like something was on my eye. I dazily flicked it off and then sort of came to my senses and decided I should see what the hell it was... it was a Mukade! Glad this one didn't bite me because it was right on my eye. Have had plenty of Mamushi (Pit Viper - have to kill these unfortunately) and various other snakes - and all the other bugs around my place Gejigeji, heaps of Susume bachi which are annoying as. The monkeys are fine they just steal the fruit from our trees and the wild boars dig up the vegetables and bamboo.

The huntsman spiders whilst big and kind of freaky because they can move so fast are totally fine, so I just catch and release when they come inside. I have had one walk accross my hand once while I was sitting on the floor, but compared to everything else they are fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    Apparently the board of education doesnt realize I am in the fight of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    three HIV tests later spread out over 1+ year and i can now say i dont regret it

Aww, mamushi are cute; I'd never kill one if I could help it. I scared one off the road with a stick the other day; didn't want it to get run over...
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

there is a good chance that my youngest daughter would try and kiss one if she came face to face with one and I don't see that ending well.
    Last edited by running roku; July 26th, 2011 at 13:17.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    Apparently the board of education doesnt realize I am in the fight of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    three HIV tests later spread out over 1+ year and i can now say i dont regret it

One of my friends woke up to the sensation of a mukade curled snugly around one of his testicles. He was out on an island called Etajima (a Hiroshima-ken placement) but fortunately Etajima no longer has JET positions. He may or may not have been lying, but he was visibly shaken the next day, rightfully so if true, and showed me some pics of the thing after he killed it.

I had an urban placement in an apartment on the 7th floor of a big mansion and never once saw any kind of bug in my place.

I spent way more time than I'd like to admit scarring myself silly with a ton of mukade/huntsman spider videos and even practiced catching tons of bugs in my house to try and build up my courage (yeah, lame little american bugs :l nothing too impressive but for me it's progress!) only to have my pred tell me she's only seen one mukade. Up in a school in the mountains half an hour away. And one huntsman on the street. I'm hoping to have her luck especially as I am in Kyushu.. but the fear of waking up with an unwelcome guest in my bed will always be there.

What's this powder people speak of? Is there special bug powder or is it just boric acid?
    I have seen the life on this planet, Scully, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by n107 View Post
    I think you'll find that the entire country is filled with disgusting bugs of monstrous proportions.
    Everywhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    what the fuck does all of this have to do with bear arms? If you can't stick to the topic at hand I wish you'd just keep your mouth shut and quit derailing a perfectly good thread about bear arms.

Yup. Everywhere.

^ They probably would have thought I was insensitive for laughing my ass off. That, or I would have thought she was joking.

Butterflies are pretty much the only bug besides pill bugs that I'm NOT afraid of. Is this a common reaction to butterflies and moths?
    Last edited by peanut; July 28th, 2011 at 00:59.

Frogs are cute too! Although I had a friend who was terrified of balloons, so I guess in comparison butterflies and frogs are almost understandable.

I hated balloons as a kid. Stupid sensitive hearing.

One of the teachers at my school hated all bugs, including butterflies. A small-ish one once landed on her hair and she flipped out then spent the next hour shaking.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

I don't get the fear of moths and butterflies here. I noticed once back in the day that there was a recurring theme of poisonous moths in various manga or video games (as well as centipedes and spiders, yeah go figure) so I asked a Jepenese about it. I guess there's a poisonous moth here too. So I googled it and found a poster some girl took a pic of at her school showing the ill effects of being exposed to moth poison. Not sure if it's poisonous as a caterpillar or adult or both. I don't hear much about poison moths here compared to the poison giant bees or mukade.

I guess they don't notice the difference between a butterfly or regular moth when it's flying in their face. LOL.

I love the little frogs! Not pill bugs though. ew.

Even the moths are scary? Wtf Japan.

I guess I don't think pill bugs are scary/gross because they were fun to play with as a kid... if you poke them they roll up in a ball. They didn't kill or maim me then, so I guess I feel safe.